"call back" interviews from mass mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"call back" interviews from mass mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:16 pm

i was hoping some upperclassman could give me some advice for a couple "call back" interviews i have scheduled that are the result of mass mailing. i put call back in quotes because these will be my first interviews with the firm, but they are call back style. these firms are in secondary markets, i don't want to say where exactly. basically i just would like know of any red flags/what to expect generally. the firms are proskauer and holland & knight.

Anonymous User

Re: "call back" interviews from mass mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i was hoping some upperclassman could give me some advice for a couple "call back" interviews i have scheduled that are the result of mass mailing. i put call back in quotes because these will be my first interviews with the firm, but they are call back style. these firms are in secondary markets, i don't want to say where exactly. basically i just would like know of any red flags/what to expect generally. the firms are proskauer and holland & knight.

From my experience, they're just three or four screening interviews back-to-back. Not really any curveballs. Just prepare for the interviews like you would any other interview.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Lemme guess... Boca.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i was hoping some upperclassman could give me some advice for a couple "call back" interviews i have scheduled that are the result of mass mailing. i put call back in quotes because these will be my first interviews with the firm, but they are call back style. these firms are in secondary markets, i don't want to say where exactly. basically i just would like know of any red flags/what to expect generally. the firms are proskauer and holland & knight.

From my experience, they're just three or four screening interviews back-to-back. Not really any curveballs. Just prepare for the interviews like you would any other interview.

that's good to know, thank you. so, in your experience is there still a call back stage after this type of interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

that's good to know, thank you. so, in your experience is there still a call back stage after this type of interview?

Generally, no. It should become clear when you get your list of interviewers. If you have three associates; or two associates and one non-hiring partner, it's probably a long screener, and a real callback would follow. If you have two hiring partners and an associate; or a hiring partner, another established partner, and a senior associate, it's probably a callback and an offer (or rejection) would come from that. I should add that many firms come straight out and tell you if it's going to be a screener or a callback. You might ask the recruiting office if you really want to know. It's not like the preparation is going to be any different though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Generally, no. It should become clear when you get your list of interviewers. If you have three associates; or two associates and one non-hiring partner, it's probably a long screener, and a real callback would follow. If you have two hiring partners and an associate; or a hiring partner, another established partner, and a senior associate, it's probably a callback and an offer (or rejection) would come from that.

great, thanks so much!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:31 pm

And you are always free to ask at the end of the interview what the next steps would be so that you can stay in touch and on top of everything. They will explain to you whether or not there is another round of interviews, or whether it would be an offer/rejection next.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:24 am

Proskauer... be really prepared. I had a 1L interview with them and they were very aggressive in asking what I knew about the firm, what they did recently that I found interesting; what I thought of a recent deal they had done.

Oh and just read the WSJ front page before you start interviewing for the day.

Return to “Legal Employment”