ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 am

anyone hear from Nixon Peabody?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard from skadden at all?

I know they were doing callbacks.

Yes, had a callback a couple of weeks ago. Nothing since.

Historically they take 3-4 weeks from cb to offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:24 am

any bingham offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Any offers from Ropes or Wilmer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Know of multiple offers from Wilmer, Ropes, Goodwin, Bingham -- several of these firms are having offer dinners/receptions this week / next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Any Goodwin offers this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 am

What is the turnaround for WH from callback to offer? If it's been 2+ weeks now, am I likely out of contention?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Goodwin offers this week?

I hope not, I'm still praying for one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Ding from Choate post-CB by letter.

Just need one place to offer...seriously, even one at this point would be great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Weil Boston offer on Thursday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Goodwin offers this week?

I hope not, I'm still praying for one.

Got a Goodwin offer approx. a week post CB. Offer dinner next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 am

Proskauer anyone? Had a screener a few weeks ago, radio silence since. I'm assuming CBs have gone out. Have they been sending dings? Or am I stuck in a WL pile?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:03 am

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear back from Sullivan after a screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 am

Is there compelling reason to take any firm over Ropes in Boston for general corporate / IP transactional? Assume offers from all market paying offices in Boston, and that you liked the people at each roughly equally.

Concerned with practice area strength, morale/outlook, honesty in feedback, career development/training, exit ops in house and to lateral firms nationwide. Hours are not a concern--I want to work hard. (and am used to working worse-than-biglaw hours in my previous job)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there compelling reason to take any firm over Ropes in Boston for general corporate / IP transactional? Assume offers from all market paying offices in Boston, and that you liked the people at each roughly equally.

Concerned with practice area strength, morale/outlook, honesty in feedback, career development/training, exit ops in house and to lateral firms nationwide. Hours are not a concern--I want to work hard. (and am used to working worse-than-biglaw hours in my previous job)

General corporate is a huge category. Do you have any idea beyond that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:26 am

Dings:

Skadden/Ropes/Weil/Choate/GP/Bingham/EAPD

CBs remaining:

HAS

zzzz

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:11 pm

any bingham offers mind posting how long it took them to hear back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there compelling reason to take any firm over Ropes in Boston for general corporate / IP transactional? Assume offers from all market paying offices in Boston, and that you liked the people at each roughly equally.

Based on previous work experience, am particularly interested in strategic transactions - public company m&a, private equity buyouts, etc., as well as outside general counsel work for smaller clients. Not so much into debt / securities / capital markets / investment management / compliance, but would be willing to try it out. Really want to work with tech and life sciences industries over funds or financial services.

I primarily want to get good exposure to a variety of areas within corporate early on, then be in a position to specialize either within the firm, as a lateral at a variety of firms, or go in-house once I have more defined areas of interest. I think Latham's new office actually does a good mix of the type of work I am interested in, but am concerned about their size and unknown reputation in Boston.

Am currently leaning Ropes, but I really enjoyed many of the firms that I interviewed with and am wondering if there are any red flags I should be aware of.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dings:

Skadden/Ropes/Weil/Choate/GP/Bingham/EAPD

CBs remaining:

HAS

zzzz

Good luck with your callback- when was your screener with HAS? I interviewed over a week ago so I'm assuming I'm dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear back from Sullivan after a screener?

I got a callback a few days after my screener. Got an offer 3 days after my callback. Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear back from Sullivan after a screener?

I got a callback a few days after my screener. Got an offer 3 days after my callback. Hope that helps.

I had a callback with them last week, but I know their hiring committee meets 1x/week. Can you maybe give dates (understandable if not)?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Based on previous work experience, am particularly interested in strategic transactions - public company m&a, private equity buyouts, etc., as well as outside general counsel work for smaller clients. Not so much into debt / securities / capital markets / investment management / compliance, but would be willing to try it out. Really want to work with tech and life sciences industries over funds or financial services.

I primarily want to get good exposure to a variety of areas within corporate early on, then be in a position to specialize either within the firm, as a lateral at a variety of firms, or go in-house once I have more defined areas of interest. I think Latham's new office actually does a good mix of the type of work I am interested in, but am concerned about their size and unknown reputation in Boston.

Am currently leaning Ropes, but I really enjoyed many of the firms that I interviewed with and am wondering if there are any red flags I should be aware of.

Well, Ropes is the best for private equity, Wilmer is the best for public company M&A. If you want VC work, Wilmer's Waltham office is pretty tops (also look to Gunderson). Latham may become a big Boston player, but as of now the firm is only shaky ground, and given Latham's reputation for well, Lathaming, I would lean towards Ropes. For your interests, I would take Ropes or Wilmer - Ropes for PE, Wilmer for PC M&A.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 am

I got a few offers at some Boston firms, but was never asked to go to an offer dinner... To be fair, I go to an out-of-state school. I'll be in Boston intermittently throughout the week for other callbacks. Should I shoot an email to the recruiting manager asking her about them? I would love to meet more attorneys and potential summer associates.

Thoughts?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a few offers at some Boston firms, but was never asked to go to an offer dinner... To be fair, I go to an out-of-state school. I'll be in Boston intermittently throughout the week for other callbacks. Should I shoot an email to the recruiting manager asking her about them? I would love to meet more attorneys and potential summer associates.

Thoughts?

Theres no issue with asking a recruiter if he/she could set you up with people at the firm to discuss to help you with your decision. I went to lunch with attorneys after offers to help with the decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard from skadden at all?

I know they were doing callbacks.

Yes, had a callback a couple of weeks ago. Nothing since.

Historically they take 3-4 weeks from cb to offer.

had my skadden CB 8/29, got my offer on friday.

Return to “Legal Employment”