ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Cupidity » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am

adameus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was really suprised by some of the firms I didn't get: Brown Rudnick, Choate, Sullivan Worcester, Goulston, McDermott. I don't have any Journals, so that might offer some explanation.

-poster w/23


I had very similar results, but I'm still really interested in some of these firms. Anything I can do about this?


email them a transcript,
CL and resume and explain that you didn't get an OCI interview but you are still very interested in the firm...


I think we are forbidden from doing this. I'll look into it. I know at some schools contacting OCI employers who have denied you will forfeit all interviews.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby alumniguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got 9 Boston firms through OCI and a total of 17 interviews and a bunch of alternates between OCI and the BU/BC NY program. Should I still be doing mass mailings?


Of course. You really think anyone is "safe"?


If these 17 firms include a fair number of firms with substantial class sizes, then I completely disagree. If you can't get an offer from 17 first round interviews, then you are doing something wrong in the interviews (as you clearly have the grades to work in biglaw).

At the most you should do targeted mailings to firms that you are actually interested in.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Mattalones » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Cupidity wrote:
adameus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was really suprised by some of the firms I didn't get: Brown Rudnick, Choate, Sullivan Worcester, Goulston, McDermott. I don't have any Journals, so that might offer some explanation.

-poster w/23


I had very similar results, but I'm still really interested in some of these firms. Anything I can do about this?


email them a transcript,
CL and resume and explain that you didn't get an OCI interview but you are still very interested in the firm...


I think we are forbidden from doing this. I'll look into it. I know at some schools contacting OCI employers who have denied you will forfeit all interviews.

If that were strictly true, then lotteries wouldn't be allowed. They put you in contact with employers who have denied you. Also, canceling interviews with a lottery would disqualify you from all the others. It can't be a bright lined rule like this makes it out to be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Boston biglaw junior associate here, gearing up for OCI callback interviews. I'm at one of the big three (RG, WH, GP).

Taking Qs. I went through this whole experience a few years back. It'll be interesting to be on the other side.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Boston biglaw junior associate here, gearing up for OCI callback interviews. I'm at one of the big three (RG, WH, GP).

Taking Qs. I went through this whole experience a few years back. It'll be interesting to be on the other side.


Thanks for doing this. How important are ties to Boston? I lived in the Boston suburbs for four years and have relatives in the city. If ties are important, would that be sufficient?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Boston biglaw junior associate here, gearing up for OCI callback interviews. I'm at one of the big three (RG, WH, GP).

Taking Qs. I went through this whole experience a few years back. It'll be interesting to be on the other side.


Thank you so much. I attend HLS and want to focus on Boston along with DC/NY. Unfortunately, I am from the south about 400 miles from the closest major legal market (Atlanta). My reason for focusing on Boston is that I have a SO who moved to the area with me when I began law school and now has a job. She also grew up in the Boston suburbs. Do you have any tips on emphasizing this in lieu of any other personal ties (i.e. ever living in the area before law school)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this. How important are ties to Boston? I lived in the Boston suburbs for four years and have relatives in the city. If ties are important, would that be sufficient?


Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much. I attend HLS and want to focus on Boston along with DC/NY. Unfortunately, I am from the south about 400 miles from the closest major legal market (Atlanta). My reason for focusing on Boston is that I have a SO who moved to the area with me when I began law school and now has a job. She also grew up in the Boston suburbs. Do you have any tips on emphasizing this in lieu of any other personal ties (i.e. ever living in the area before law school)?


Hmmm... looks like market ties are on people's minds.

The Boston market is not as insular as people may think, at least not at the larger multi-office firms. I am not from Boston but attended law school in Boston. I interviewed in Boston and NY and was very open about that. I still got multiple offers from Boston firms.

For the first poster, just bring up what you know about the Boston area. Which neighborhood did you live in? What neighborhoods do you like or what Boston area activities do you like to do (e.g. sailing on Charles, hanging in Cape Cod)? The interviewer will probably hook on to something that you mention and talk a little about it. This will establish familiarity between you and them.

For the second poster, honestly the fact you're from HLS will do it. Your SO is icing on the cake. Same advice as above will work as well to give you and the interviewer some common ground.

Lastly, unless the interviewer is clearly not into sports or you are a diehard Yankees fan, BRING UP THE RED SOX.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 pm

As a Mets fan, I should avoid that too, eh? I know it's been 25 years, but I'm thinking the mere mention could bring up Buckner memories and an auto-ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Are there any major differences between interviewing in Boston versus interviewing in NY? Are there any experiences, personality traits, characteristics, etc that Boston seems to value more than NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Boston biglaw junior associate here, gearing up for OCI callback interviews. I'm at one of the big three (RG, WH, GP).

Taking Qs. I went through this whole experience a few years back. It'll be interesting to be on the other side.


How do you differentiate among the big boston firms? I've done pretty thorough research on the different firms, and in particular, their litigation practices, and the more I look, the more they seem substantially similar. The reason I ask, is I'm trying to both evaluate the firms, as well as craft some reasonably intelligent specific questions.

One the things I've found, with Wilmer Hale in particular, is that the only people assigned to specific lit practice groups are senior associates and up, and the junior associates are all just listed as general litigation. Does this mean they are at large, or rotating through the practices although they aren't named as members?

I hope to see you at OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lastly, unless the interviewer is clearly not into sports or you are a diehard Yankees fan, BRING UP THE RED SOX.


What about the Bruins? I hate baseball but followed the Bruins through their nail-biting (well, until game 7) triumph over the Canucks.

Aside from that the only ties I have to Boston are a substantial number of college friends that are from the area we were on a college athletics team together so we all got pretty close, but no LS, SO, fam, anything like that in Boston. Any ideas on how to approach ties if they bring it up? Closest I got was that I was accepted as a transfer to BU for my junior and senior years of UG but ultimately turned it down to stay and pursue athletics.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a Mets fan, I should avoid that too, eh? I know it's been 25 years, but I'm thinking the mere mention could bring up Buckner memories and an auto-ding.


Well, actually, if you want to engage in some good natured sports ribbing, then maybe you can bring it up. Make sure the rapport is there though.

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any major differences between interviewing in Boston versus interviewing in NY? Are there any experiences, personality traits, characteristics, etc that Boston seems to value more than NY?


Grossly generalizing, Boston interviewers are more academic/cerebral/stuffy while NY is more outgoing and outspoken. But don't count on these stereotypes. It really varies between firms and people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you differentiate among the big boston firms? I've done pretty thorough research on the different firms, and in particular, their litigation practices, and the more I look, the more they seem substantially similar. The reason I ask, is I'm trying to both evaluate the firms, as well as craft some reasonably intelligent specific questions.

One the things I've found, with Wilmer Hale in particular, is that the only people assigned to specific lit practice groups are senior associates and up, and the junior associates are all just listed as general litigation. Does this mean they are at large, or rotating through the practices although they aren't named as members?


In litigation (at least in WH and a large number of other firms) you remain unclassified for quite a while. It reflects the fact that junior associates are by and large interchangeable on the litigation side until you are truly experienced enough to be classified as a specialist.

Differentiating between firms can be quite hard (they are substantially similar for the most part), but each firm always has some specialties that they are well known for. For example, Ropes has a large private equity practice (thanks in most part to Bain). Look at the firm's press releases, latest major deals that they have done, and major clients. I will say that I'll be impressed if an interviewee brings up knowledge that they know our "___" practice is well known and has done X and Y matters lately. It's something I didn't really do as an interviewee but shows you really did your homework.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about the Bruins? I hate baseball but followed the Bruins through their nail-biting (well, until game 7) triumph over the Canucks.

Aside from that the only ties I have to Boston are a substantial number of college friends that are from the area we were on a college athletics team together so we all got pretty close, but no LS, SO, fam, anything like that in Boston. Any ideas on how to approach ties if they bring it up? Closest I got was that I was accepted as a transfer to BU for my junior and senior years of UG but ultimately turned it down to stay and pursue athletics.


I admit, you don't have much in terms of connections, so you just have to go with enthusiasm. You never stated why you actually want to be in Boston, so I hope you do have a good reason. If it comes up, just say it and mention you're interviewing with other firms in the Boston area (if true).

Honestly, if you're a good candidate, connections won't really matter (unless it's completely obvious you have no intention of staying for at least a little while). If you're a borderline candidate, there are many other things the hiring committee will consider before connections to the area (i.e. it will most likely not make or break your offer).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Boston biglaw junior associate here, gearing up for OCI callback interviews. I'm at one of the big three (RG, WH, GP).

Taking Qs. I went through this whole experience a few years back. It'll be interesting to be on the other side.



1. Can you let us know what your stats were (# interviews in Boston, # call backs, # offers)?

2. Were the callbacks substantially different than the screening interview (more substantive, more focused on the firm, etc)?

3. As an associate, what do you think the main differences between the big three firms are?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I admit, you don't have much in terms of connections, so you just have to go with enthusiasm. You never stated why you actually want to be in Boston, so I hope you do have a good reason. If it comes up, just say it and mention you're interviewing with other firms in the Boston area (if true).

Honestly, if you're a good candidate, connections won't really matter (unless it's completely obvious you have no intention of staying for at least a little while). If you're a borderline candidate, there are many other things the hiring committee will consider before connections to the area (i.e. it will most likely not make or break your offer).


Boston's where I've wanted to be since I got out of high school. It exists as this place of perpetual happiness and opportunity - it's sort of my own personal Mecca. Expressing my excitement definitely won't be an issue.

When you say Boston interviews trend towards the scholarly, can you elaborate on what you mean exactly?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

What kind of reputation does NUSL have with the big Boston firms?

Any idea how common it is for NUSL students to sneak in among those at bigger named schools each year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Can you let us know what your stats were (# interviews in Boston, # call backs, # offers)?

2. Were the callbacks substantially different than the screening interview (more substantive, more focused on the firm, etc)?

3. As an associate, what do you think the main differences between the big three firms are?


1. Can't remember too well, but it was something like 12 screening interviews, 10 callbacks, and 5 offers (I blew off some of the callbacks). This was back in 2007.

2. The callbacks really varied. Some people asks tons of questions, some people let you ask tons of questions, some people just rambled on about work/life/sports/etc. It's hard to say something meaningful here because everybody has a different interview style and focuses on different things. Questions on substantive law are rare though. Mostly about what your interests are, your background, why this firm, why this city, what do you do for fun.

3. WH's strengths are in litigation and government enforcement/regulatory work, RG's strengths are in private equity, health care, and life sciences, and GP's strengths are in real estate and cap markets. The culture in each firm is different too (Ropes very genteel, Wilmer rather secretive, Goodwin a sweatshop). But that's just my opinion.


Anonymous User wrote:Boston's where I've wanted to be since I got out of high school. It exists as this place of perpetual happiness and opportunity - it's sort of my own personal Mecca. Expressing my excitement definitely won't be an issue.

When you say Boston interviews trend towards the scholarly, can you elaborate on what you mean exactly?


I just mean that since Boston is a hub of higher education, the lawyers here tend to be more of an ivory tower type. Also, Boston lawyers are more family oriented (go home at night to be with family) than NY (go out at night).


Anonymous User wrote:What kind of reputation does NUSL have with the big Boston firms?

Any idea how common it is for NUSL students to sneak in among those at bigger named schools each year?


NUSL doesn't have much of a reputation simply because there aren't too many NUSL grads in large firms. It's a self-perpetuating problem. I know two NUSL grads at my firm and I think they're far in the minority. I'm guessing you guys have to hussle a lot more to get noticed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 am

bump - to original topic...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 am

Can anyone, in the next 30 minutes, tell me the name of the hiring contact for Conn Kavanaugh, I hate to address something "to whom it may concern:"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone, in the next 30 minutes, tell me the name of the hiring contact for Conn Kavanaugh, I hate to address something "to whom it may concern:"


Alright, I'm just picking a named partner who is in charge of my practice group.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby alumniguy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone, in the next 30 minutes, tell me the name of the hiring contact for Conn Kavanaugh, I hate to address something "to whom it may concern:"


Alright, I'm just picking a named partner who is in charge of my practice group.


Looks like it should be made out to the "Assistant Administrator" who appears to be Emily Serrell. On the firm's career page there is a link to email this person for all hiring related inquiries. When you type that email into google, it brings up a page from BU that includes her full name.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:13 pm

alumniguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone, in the next 30 minutes, tell me the name of the hiring contact for Conn Kavanaugh, I hate to address something "to whom it may concern:"


Alright, I'm just picking a named partner who is in charge of my practice group.


Looks like it should be made out to the "Assistant Administrator" who appears to be Emily Serrell. On the firm's career page there is a link to email this person for all hiring related inquiries. When you type that email into google, it brings up a page from BU that includes her full name.


Wow, excellent detective work. I'm sorry to say it wasn't quick enough and bidding locked down. I really appreciate the effort though. I talked to a few friends and they all did "Dear Sir or Madam."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm

0/5 on Boston out of GW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:0/5 on Boston out of GW.


Have you done mass-mail to the rest? A few of them like Nutter and Hoag are a bit less selective, and likely didn't participate in your OCI.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.