ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Anyone heard from Ropes in, say, the last two weeks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Agreed, we got killed at BU.

Top 10% - Nothing.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agreed, we got killed at BU.

Top 10% - Nothing.

Really? You on LR? No Boston ties? Interviewing issues?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

Top 10% - Nothing.

No LR, interview well, I mean...I love Boston, but aside from going here, no. I think the problem is I want litigation, and no journal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Top 10% - Nothing.

No LR, interview well, I mean...I love Boston, but aside from going here, no. I think the problem is I want litigation, and no journal.

+1, same grades, LR, no ties. Nothing in Boston. Ties are HUGE. I completely underestimated it and while I like my school, I feel like picking a law school in this insular market was a major mistake.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Top 10% - Nothing.

+1, same grades, LR, no ties. Nothing in Boston. Ties are HUGE. I completely underestimated it and while I like my school, I feel like picking a law school in this insular market was a major mistake.

I assume you bid on NY though? OCI really is a crapshoot but couldn't imagine top 10% striking out. I know people outside the top 1/3rd with offers, but they could have just lucked out I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:02 am

Anyone hear back from latham in boston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Is it worth following up with firms? I've been on hold for over a month with a couple firms and the one time I called all I heard was, "Still gonna be a couple weeks....we'll let you know."

How much longer can they keep their "waitlist" open? The classes have to be settled by the end of October, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Just curious: does anyone know of offers from Choate this year???

Re holds: one firm just told me they'd know within the next 2 weeks. (Of course, they said the same thing 4 weeks ago. . .)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth following up with firms? I've been on hold for over a month with a couple firms and the one time I called all I heard was, "Still gonna be a couple weeks....we'll let you know."

How much longer can they keep their "waitlist" open? The classes have to be settled by the end of October, right?

Hell yeah, follow up. Had been over three weeks since a callback, followed up, and got an offer like 2 days later. It helps if you have a deadline you're up against, but even without that, I think it's worth it.

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious: does anyone know of offers from Choate this year???

Yes, I know someone with an offer; no idea when the callback was though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from latham in boston?

I know someone who has accepted an offer there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Ropes in, say, the last two weeks?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What other firms were they considering? I decided against Latham, but was intrigued by this office and am curious to see the caliber / type of people they ended up attracting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Riemer & Braunstein ding last week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Top 10% - Nothing.

Wow, it was really this bad? This was precisely the situation I was in (no LR, but still top 10% at BU/BC). I ended up transferring for personal reasons, but I assumed I would have had a good amount of success had I stayed. But I was mainly focused on NY, and not Boston, which I'd imagine opens up many more possibilities. I could envision possibly striking out had I focused primarily on Boston, since I have no ties to the city aside from having gone to school there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious: does anyone know of offers from Choate this year???

Re holds: one firm just told me they'd know within the next 2 weeks. (Of course, they said the same thing 4 weeks ago. . .)

They did a full offer dinner about 3 weeks ago. I know of at least 2 people who have accepted (I imagine there are several more). They are looking for a class of about 12.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Top 10% - Nothing.

Wow, it was really this bad? This was precisely the situation I was in (no LR, but still top 10% at BU/BC). I ended up transferring for personal reasons, but I assumed I would have had a good amount of success had I stayed. But I was mainly focused on NY, and not Boston, which I'd imagine opens up many more possibilities. I could envision possibly striking out had I focused primarily on Boston, since I have no ties to the city aside from having gone to school there.

I really doubt 10% getting nothing is normal at BU this year. I'm sure there are some like that, but for the most part that segment of the class should be getting a good number of interviews and at least a couple offers. Seems more like the exception.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Top 10% - Nothing.

I really doubt 10% getting nothing is normal at BU this year. I'm sure there are some like that, but for the most part that segment of the class should be getting a good number of interviews and at least a couple offers. Seems more like the exception.

Yea, sorry, top 10% striking out seems to be a big outlier. I know people outside the top 1/3rd with offers. Its sometimes rough being top 10% - a lot of firms may not offer you because they think you're shooting higher, and the high firms might not take you because of just the competition or the luck of who liked you during CBs... its not a fun process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:40 pm

I know people have received offers from K&L Gates. Has anyone gotten a rejection? Or is it rejection by silence with them? I still haven't heard since my callback a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What other firms were they considering? I decided against Latham, but was intrigued by this office and am curious to see the caliber / type of people they ended up attracting.

WilmerHale

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know people have received offers from K&L Gates. Has anyone gotten a rejection? Or is it rejection by silence with them? I still haven't heard since my callback a few weeks ago.

Same boat. It's been over a month since my callback. Pretty sure it's rejection by silence at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know people have received offers from K&L Gates. Has anyone gotten a rejection? Or is it rejection by silence with them? I still haven't heard since my callback a few weeks ago.

Same boat. It's been over a month since my callback. Pretty sure it's rejection by silence at this point.

Why not contact them? Im sitting in same boat with a different boston firm, a bit scared to contact and express my continued interest in fear that it will result in a ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I posted above, I know a few people top 10-20% at BU who got nothing, I had 25 screeners, 5 cbs, and got nothing.

Allegedly there are "mid-sized/small firms" out there that pay something for summer positions, I've yet to find any.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Non-MA native (CT/NH/RI native) at T20 with top 10% grades chiming in here - ties are ridiculous. My entire family is from MA; my parents chose to live in my home state because they wanted to be just far away from the city to "have their own thing." I had a 1L position in Boston (My UG in CT/NH/RI though...) and had no problem communicating "Why Boston?"

Firms did not bite. The only places where I had success were Vault firms where my grades, WE, and practice area interests could make up for it. I had a H&S/EAPD/HAS partner tell me flat out that she did not believe I wanted Boston enough.

So BU/BC might be doing well, but for Boston, future 2Ls should have the "tie" locked in from the start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Top 1/3 from CCN. Ties didn't seem like a huge issue for me, which was surprising given all the emphasis about them on this board. I didn't have great ties to Boston (my SO lives there so I worked there last summer, but I could have been lying about that for all the firms knew). I ended up getting several offers, including all of WH/Ropes/Goodwin. Even emphasized a desire to move to a different location down the line. All the firms seemed pretty accommodating re: transferring to different locations within the firm.

I did have a good rationale for why the Boston legal market is well-suited for the type of legal work I'm looking to do, but was left with the impression that ties were less important than I had thought.

Return to “Legal Employment”