ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: ITT: Boston - Interviews, Call-Backs, and Firms

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 from CCN. Ties didn't seem like a huge issue for me, which was surprising given all the emphasis about them on this board. I didn't have great ties to Boston (my SO lives there so I worked there last summer, but I could have been lying about that for all the firms knew). I ended up getting several offers, including all of WH/Ropes/Goodwin. Even emphasized a desire to move to a different location down the line. All the firms seemed pretty accommodating re: transferring to different locations within the firm.

I did have a good rationale for why the Boston legal market is well-suited for the type of legal work I'm looking to do, but was left with the impression that ties were less important than I had thought.
Bolded what mattered.. but congrats either way

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 am

BlueDiamond wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 from CCN. Ties didn't seem like a huge issue for me, which was surprising given all the emphasis about them on this board. I didn't have great ties to Boston (my SO lives there so I worked there last summer, but I could have been lying about that for all the firms knew). I ended up getting several offers, including all of WH/Ropes/Goodwin. Even emphasized a desire to move to a different location down the line. All the firms seemed pretty accommodating re: transferring to different locations within the firm.

I did have a good rationale for why the Boston legal market is well-suited for the type of legal work I'm looking to do, but was left with the impression that ties were less important than I had thought.
Bolded what mattered.. but congrats either way
O.k., but I think the usual thought is either ties matter or they don't. Are you proposing some sort of sliding scale?

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:42 am

Yes. If you are top 1% at HYS, I doubt ties will matter much.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:03 am

I think if the concern is whether you will accept their offer, or whether you will bolt in a year or two, ties would still matter. Maybe they would be more willing to take the chance on a person with great qualifications. In any case, I think the top-third CCN poster DID establish significant enough ties, and the t-20 guy just should have gone to BU, may have had significant ties to another market, etc.

I do have a friend with almost no ties to Boston (good grades, good personality, no LR at Cornell) who got a good offer in Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 pm

So what's the consensus? Have the Boston classes been filled at this point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what's the consensus? Have the Boston classes been filled at this point?
Everything is wrapped up at this point. Game over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump
any movement in boston??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?