Unofficial Transcript for Employers Q -

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unofficial Transcript for Employers Q -

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am

I am a rising 2L at Michigan with a 3.166 - Median is 3.19. As I prepare my unofficial transcript for mass-mailing, should I list the Median as well? The concern is this:

- 3.166 doesn't look so hot, but Mich is graded to a low median, so I'd like to point out that its 'only' .033 below median = basically median.

v.

- I'm highlighting the fact that I am below the median - i.e. not a very desirable place to be.

So should I list the median on the unofficial transcript at all? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Unofficial Transcript for Employers Q -

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

hey guys - this previous, separate anonymous user sounds sexy and like he needs a little help in a difficult position.. u shud help him out! thanks again!

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:02 am

i would only list it if the employer is unlikely to be familiar with Michigan. If they are in the habit of interviewing and hiring Michigan students, then they likely know that the median at Michigan is lower than at other typical top schools. I think your best bet in this situation is not to draw too much attention to the fact that you're only hovering around the median. I would even abstain from including your transcript in your mass mails unless the firms to which you're sending them specifically request a transcript.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:hey guys - this previous, separate anonymous user sounds sexy and like he needs a little help in a difficult position.. u shud help him out! thanks again!

Don't do this again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am

Anonymous Michigan student here: I don't think the class median is actually 3.19; that's just the target mean for the curve in each individual 1L class. We don't really know what the median is just like we don't know what our class rank is, so I wouldn't alter anything on the transcript.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at Michigan with a 3.166 - Median is 3.19. As I prepare my unofficial transcript for mass-mailing, should I list the Median as well? The concern is this:

- 3.166 doesn't look so hot, but Mich is graded to a low median, so I'd like to point out that its 'only' .033 below median = basically median.

v.

- I'm highlighting the fact that I am below the median - i.e. not a very desirable place to be.

So should I list the median on the unofficial transcript at all? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I wouldn't list the median as 3.19 because that may not actually be the case. 3.19 is the suggested median, but it probably will not be the actual median because the professors have a range of discretion between 3.14 and 3.24. I think "Suggested Median 3.19" sounds more accurate, but putting that may attract even more attention to it. I don't know - it's a tough call.

Return to “Legal Employment”