Signs you will not receive an offer after the summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Signs you will not receive an offer after the summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 am

As the summer is winding down, I am getting increasingly nervous--a few friends have already received offers at summer associate placements (or an offer to continue part-time at their firms during the third year), but I have not heard anything. No one has brought this up. I am scared.

What are the signs that you will be no-offered? What are the best indicators? Thanks!!!

Cavalier

Re: Signs you will not receive an offer after the summer?

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 am

Firms operate differently. The fact that you haven't heard anything doesn't mean you're going to get no-offered. Some firms give offers in the final week (or tell the summers that they are likely to receive offers); other firms don't make decisions until September or even later. The best people to ask about this question are the summers from the previous year (if you know any of them); otherwise, maybe a junior associate that you know well will divulge some information about the firm's practices.

As a consequence of the recession, getting an offer is no longer a near-guarantee, but firms generally seem to be moving in the direction of giving close to 100% offers again (with significantly smaller summer classes). If you haven't heard complaints about your work, and you haven't said or done anything ridiculously stupid in front of an attorney at the firm, you shouldn't be worried.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 am

If these friends of yours are at different firms, then you really need to relax. Depending on market, the odds are extraordinarily in your favor, especially if nobody has complained about your work, stopped giving you work, /whatever else Cavalier said.

If they're at your same firm...I would be much more worried.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:52 am

5ky wrote:If these friends of yours are at different firms, then you really need to relax. Depending on market, the odds are extraordinarily in your favor, especially if nobody has complained about your work, stopped giving you work, /whatever else Cavalier said.

This.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 am

Yeah I guess I just assumed that the "friends" are at different firms. If they're at your firm, you should certainly be worried. I assume that most firms give offers and no-offers at roughly the same time though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 am

5ky wrote:If these friends of yours are at different firms, then you really need to relax. Depending on market, the odds are extraordinarily in your favor, especially if nobody has complained about your work, stopped giving you work, /whatever else Cavalier said.

Yes, they are at different firms. *sigh of relief* They are all at mid and small sized firms, and I am at a mid sized firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 am

Another thing: I did notice that my work load went down in the previous few weeks. Nobody has given me new assignments in about two weeks. Does that mean they know I am winding down the summer and don't want me to end up unable to finish a project? Or is it indicative they are not happy with my work product? Is there a way to tell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 am

What about for someone who has gotten lots of positive feedback on every project, and then one partner was fairly displeased with a single assignment? It wasn't my best work, for sure. The research was good, but the final project was a bit sloppy (lacking some pincites, careless wording in places, small editing errors).

The partner isn't in my office, but I'm quite worried about how his/her feedback will affect a possible offer. Thoughts? Biglaw, V30 firm, as a reference. Historically gives 100% offers. Don't want to be "that guy."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about for someone who has gotten lots of positive feedback on every project, and then one partner was fairly displeased with a single assignment? It wasn't my best work, for sure. The research was good, but the final project was a bit sloppy (lacking some pincites, careless wording in places, small editing errors).

The partner isn't in my office, but I'm quite worried about how his/her feedback will affect a possible offer. Thoughts? Biglaw, V30 firm, as a reference. Historically gives 100% offers. Don't want to be "that guy."

Happened to me too a month ago. I screwed up big time on a statute of limitations in a court filing...That partner has not given me work in a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about for someone who has gotten lots of positive feedback on every project, and then one partner was fairly displeased with a single assignment? It wasn't my best work, for sure. The research was good, but the final project was a bit sloppy (lacking some pincites, careless wording in places, small editing errors).

Happened to me too a month ago. I screwed up big time on a statute of limitations in a court filing...That partner has not given me work in a while.

Didn't screw up anything that matters; just sent off lackluster work product (worse than what I've proven capable of). Probably shouldn't have taken on the project, with the other work I'm doing, but curious if others have had similar situations and their offer/no-offer results.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another thing: I did notice that my work load went down in the previous few weeks. Nobody has given me new assignments in about two weeks. Does that mean they know I am winding down the summer and don't want me to end up unable to finish a project? Or is it indicative they are not happy with my work product? Is there a way to tell?

It's all relative. Was everybody else working hard on projects, or did you all wind down?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another thing: I did notice that my work load went down in the previous few weeks. Nobody has given me new assignments in about two weeks. Does that mean they know I am winding down the summer and don't want me to end up unable to finish a project? Or is it indicative they are not happy with my work product? Is there a way to tell?

I haven't done jack shit all of this (my last) week. It's just winding down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 am

5ky wrote:

It's all relative. Was everybody else working hard on projects, or did you all wind down?

I am the only summer associate at my place--it's a consulting firm, and it does not have a large summer associate program. Everybody is incredibly busy right now, and it seems a bit odd that they are not giving me anything to work on. I asked, and everyone said they would get back to me. But it's been about a week and a half.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:20 am

There's no way to tell, but if you haven't gotten any complaints, it's probably just because you are winding down or that no one's thought of a new project. The attorneys have more important things to do than to think of projects for the summers.

Impossible to say. Before the recession that wouldn't lead to a no-offer, but times have changed. If your firm's financial health has declined, extending offers to the entire summer class may no longer appear attractive; you don't want to give your firm any reason to no-offer you. But it really depends on your firm's overall philosophy on recruiting, its financial health, whether any similar or worse mistakes were made by other summers, and so on.

To the future summer associates reading, this is a mistake you don't want to make. Pincite your sources, and proofread every memo carefully (I recommend printing it out rather than reading it on the screen). You certainly don't need to be paranoid that a typo will get you a no-offer, but at the same time, it's important that everything you produce looks polished. It's quite possible that the hiring committee will be reading your memos when they meet to make offer decisions.

Return to “Legal Employment”