Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Agreed. I definitely officially concede that black men often look damn good in goatees (see: will smith). I stand by original stance regarding white men, however. Well, for the most part.

Maybe its a bit harsh. But I honestly think that 90-99% of the goatee wearing population would look more attractive without goatees. And the women (thank you for your comments!) seem to agree... noting that Leo is a *limited* exception.

If I had any more arguments against my statement I was going to use this picture as supporting evidence:

+ 180 :D

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
firemed wrote:
You just gave me the most brilliant idea! I will hire someone with an EVEN WORSE jawline and chin to interview before me! Then I will look positively manly in comparison!

I would recommend bringing them into the interview with you and having them sit silently beside you throughout the entire thing for maximum effect.

Helloo Miss Lady. I think I can help out with the Pan/Pam dilemma..

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Agreed. I definitely officially concede that black men often look damn good in goatees (see: will smith). I stand by original stance regarding white men, however. Well, for the most part.

Maybe its a bit harsh. But I honestly think that 90-99% of the goatee wearing population would look more attractive without goatees. And the women (thank you for your comments!) seem to agree... noting that Leo is a *limited* exception.

If I had any more arguments against my statement I was going to use this picture as supporting evidence:

Edit: I'm not gay but that's a good looking dude. But I agree that white men should stick to clean shaven or the full beard look - nothing in between. Of course, full beards, if you're in corporate America, should only be grown on vacation.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 pm

KeepitKind wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
firemed wrote:
You just gave me the most brilliant idea! I will hire someone with an EVEN WORSE jawline and chin to interview before me! Then I will look positively manly in comparison!

I would recommend bringing them into the interview with you and having them sit silently beside you throughout the entire thing for maximum effect.

Helloo Miss Lady. I think I can help out with the Pan/Pam dilemma..

win. I forgot how funny the people on this site are.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Not quite a goatee, but he looks just as good with it. Caption should be changed to "to everyone's sore eyes" IMO.

OP: I agree with Kretzy that the goatee is the jorts of facial hair for 99.9% of the white population, and should generally be avoided at all costs, not just in interviews.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Personally, I'm partial to the Fu Manchu or handlebars with wax. Nothing says class like mustache wax.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

So much hate for the goatee...

I was gonna shave mine off just because I am ready for a change, but now I kind of want to keep it to spite all of you.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm

fanmingrui wrote:Personally, I'm partial to the Fu Manchu or handlebars with wax. Nothing says class like mustache wax.

In the local legal community there is a (locally) famous litigator with a handlebar... definitely waxed. I complimented him on it after he gave a speech on ASD and he complimented me on my mustache. Then again he obviously has bias.

I personally think that just a mustache on a white guy makes him look like a pedophile.

And I have decided to stick with the mustache and grow a goatee to go with it (the van d.y.k.e.) and only shave it off if I interview for JAG.

Eff it... I like the way I look with chin hair, so does my wife, and if people don't want to hire me because of it, well "eff them."

I honestly think I will be OK... two reasons: First off my Rabbi had one, so it has got to be good with the man upstairs, and second I live in a state where people show up to 5 star restaurants and get seated in ripped jeans, flip-flops, and a T-shirt. I even saw a lawyer in court once with jeans, button up, tie, and sport coat on.

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Interesting views on goatees. I never really thought of them as being trashy...you see a lot of older guys with them. It's just something different, I always thought. Nobody grows mustaches anymore, unless they're ironic hipsters. I always thought of the goatee as like a modern mustache. Er, "Van Dyke" that is.

Now, I have a full beard which I've had for about 4 years now. I like it, my girlfriend likes it, it's part of my identity. I keep it trimmed. I really didn't think it would be a problem in future interviews...

example of successful high profile person with full beard:

Though I don't like how he seems to trim the top line of the beard to be straight. Makes it look...funny. I used to do that too, but I found it's really ok to let the natural line along the top of the cheek define itself. I just line up under the chin and shave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 am

Part of my religious observance as a hasidic jew entails not shaving my beard. Can I still get big law out of CLS top 20% or so?

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Part of my religious observance as a hasidic jew entails not shaving my beard. Can I still get big law out of CLS top 20% or so?

http://www.velaw.com/lawyers/MansoorBharmal.aspx

i think you'll be fine

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:18 am

If Jon can't pull it off, it's generally a bad idea.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 am

This is just a theory, but I feel that guys with especially effeminate faces might want to sport a little bit of stubble. Maybe a trace of a mustache.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Part of my religious observance as a hasidic jew entails not shaving my beard. Can I still get big law out of CLS top 20% or so?

I know this isn't strictly on topic... but I have often wondered if shabbat and holiday observances would interfere with biglaw hours enough to keep you from ever making partner, or even get you "fired" (ie. first to be laid off).

Anyone know?

I am not an orthodox jew by any means, but I worry for my orthodox bros and sisters.

ETA: and I think Jon looks AWESOME in that pic!

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 am

Keep the stache, lose the trash.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:09 am

soul patch?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Edit: I'm not gay but that's a good looking dude. But I agree that white men should stick to clean shaven or the full beard look - nothing in between. Of course, full beards, if you're in corporate America, should only be grown on vacation.

Will Smith would look so much better in that picture without the facial hair.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:12 am

NYC Law wrote:If Jon can't pull it off, it's generally a bad idea.

It's not even that he looks bad to me. Before I even notice whether it makes someone good or not, it just...yeesh...untrustworthy, creepy, evil, etc.

The only thing similar to a goatee that's legitimately awesome is the Jaffar look. I have no idea what it's called, but if you can pull off the Jaffar, you are unstoppable

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:16 am

Naked Dude wrote:soul patch?

Hulihee is TCR.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 am

joncrooshal wrote:

Hulihee is TCR.

how about mutton chops with a pony tail?

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 am

Naked Dude wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

Hulihee is TCR.

how about mutton chops with a pony tail?

If the pony tail can connect with the chops, then yes.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 am

Now I want to grow out my mustache and make it into a handlebar. I wonder if I could pull that off....

The one on the left... like, go full retard and just see how it looks. Apparently it takes 4-6 months to get it right though...

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 am

firemed wrote:Now I want to grow out my mustache and make it into a handlebar. I wonder if I could pull that off....

The one on the left... like, go full retard and just see how it looks. Apparently it takes 4-6 months to get it right though...

--ImageRemoved--

About right. I used to have one and am going to be growing mine out this year. It gets a lot of looks. You do need wax for the stache, though.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:36 am

joncrooshal wrote:
firemed wrote:Now I want to grow out my mustache and make it into a handlebar. I wonder if I could pull that off....

--ImageRemoved--

About right. I used to have one and am going to be growing mine out this year. It gets a lot of looks. You do need wax for the stache, though.

I am torn... I have always admired men with handlebars... but I know a LOT of people make fun of them.

I need a job when I graduate, you know?

ETA: Apparently the British and Canadian Armies allow handlebar mustaches, but not the US Army... I think we should bring those back, along with beards for the Navy. A couple of Sikhs got their NBC gear to fit over their beards, so they don't have that reason anymore, really.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

firemed wrote:

I know this isn't strictly on topic... but I have often wondered if shabbat and holiday observances would interfere with biglaw hours enough to keep you from ever making partner, or even get you "fired" (ie. first to be laid off).

Anyone know?

I am not an orthodox jew by any means, but I worry for my orthodox bros and sisters.

This is definitely a more significant concern to me than the beard. I know a former associate at Cravath. He worked in M&A for 5 years before getting shafted there. He definitely put in long hours saturday night and sunday, but when Friday night rolled around, he was completely unavailable. As a caveat, he's got his own practice now, and appears to be doing fine with a few big clients.

Return to “Legal Employment”