Sporting A Goatee For Interviews? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm

2L here wondering if I should get rid of my thin yet trimmed goatee for OCI. Not really the conservative type but I will remove it if it helps land me the callback/offer. Holla!

firemed

Silver

Re: Sporting A Goatee For Interviews?

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

This is relevant to my interests... so, bump.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Definitely a great idea especially if you can't really grow facial hair but want to anyway so you can have that nice pubic-hairesque goatee. It is very classy, and sure to charm any interviewer. A+.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here wondering if I should get rid of my thin yet trimmed goatee for OCI. Not really the conservative type but I will remove it if it helps land me the callback/offer. Holla!
This REALLY depends on how it looks on your face.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Definitely a great idea especially if you can't really grow facial hair but want to anyway so you can have that nice pubic-hairesque goatee. It is very classy, and sure to charm any interviewer. A+.

Seriously though... I HATE my jawline, and I am not a big fan of my chin. So if goatees can be OK then I wouldn't mind wearing one to my interviews for summer positions.

I am guessing OP is in a similar situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm

firemed wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Definitely a great idea especially if you can't really grow facial hair but want to anyway so you can have that nice pubic-hairesque goatee. It is very classy, and sure to charm any interviewer. A+.

Seriously though... I HATE my jawline, and I am not a big fan of my chin. So if goatees can be OK then I wouldn't mind wearing one to my interviews for summer positions.
The way I see it you have two options.

Lose a fist fight, and get a new face.

or

Just sport a Ronald Reagan mask, and you should be fine.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Just me (okay, maybe not just me), but I would instantly be very biased against anybody who comes into a biglaw interview sporting a goatee. You would already be working way against the tide and unless you're on law review at a top 5 school and bursting at the seams with blinding social magnetism, charisma, and wit, you probably wouldn't get the job.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/02/20/law ... cial-hair/

Money quote: "[A]mong all common facial-hair arrangements, goatees are most likely to discredit a lawyer."

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I could see it being good for a certain kind of law, but have you ever seen a corporate lawyer with a goatee? It screams out mid-law or would be great for matrimonial law as the percentage of single/divorced goatee members is verrrry high, and you'd fit right in!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Just me (okay, maybe not just me), but I would instantly be very biased against anybody who comes into a biglaw interview sporting a goatee. You would already be working way against the tide and unless you're on law review at a top 5 school and bursting at the seams with blinding social magnetism, charisma, and wit, you probably wouldn't get the job.

What about DAs offices and such...

Seriously... my jawline and chin is so bad it makes me look like I am royalty.

ETA: And I cannot grow a full beard. At all... stupid genetics.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 pm

firemed wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Just me (okay, maybe not just me), but I would instantly be very biased against anybody who comes into a biglaw interview sporting a goatee. You would already be working way against the tide and unless you're on law review at a top 5 school and bursting at the seams with blinding social magnetism, charisma, and wit, you probably wouldn't get the job.

I would hire somebody with an awful chin and jawline way before I would hire somebody with a goatee. It just doesn't make sense in a professional legal context. Do what you will, but I wouldn't take the risk.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
firemed wrote:

I would hire somebody with an awful chin and jawline way before I would hire somebody with a goatee. It just doesn't make sense in a professional legal context. Do what you will, but I wouldn't take the risk.

You just gave me the most brilliant idea! I will hire someone with an EVEN WORSE jawline and chin to interview before me! Then I will look positively manly in comparison!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 pm

firemed wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
firemed wrote:

You just gave me the most brilliant idea! I will hire someone with an EVEN WORSE jawline and chin to interview before me! Then I will look positively manly in comparison!
I would recommend bringing them into the interview with you and having them sit silently beside you throughout the entire thing for maximum effect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 pm

I think TCR is self confidence you wuss.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Didn't the lawfirmrecruiter person say it's not really a big deal as long as it's neat and clean and looks good?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 pm

+1

Shave for the interview. Even in Austin, we don't wear facial hair to biglaw interviews. lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 pm

JazzOne wrote:
+1

Shave for the interview. Even in Austin, we don't wear facial hair to biglaw interviews. lol
OP here...this is a mid-law interview (100-130k)...same sentiments?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 pm

JazzOne wrote:
+1

I am a clean-shaven guy, but I am shocked by the skew of this thread towards no-goatee for interviews.

As long is the thing is neat and trim, who cares? Many prominent people have facial hair of all kinds.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
+1

I am a clean-shaven guy, but I am shocked by the skew of this thread towards no-goatee for interviews.

As long is the thing is neat and trim, who cares? Many prominent people have facial hair of all kinds.
I have also seen biglaw partners with a wide spread collar, pin-striped suit, thick power tie, french cuffs, and expensive-looking cuff links. Doesn't mean you show up in an interview like that. I have had biglaw partners constantly dropping swear words (not angrily, lulz) during interviews. Doesn't mean that you go into your screeners and drop "shit" or "bastard" into every other sentence. I'm too lazy to research this, but are there really any prominent lawyers (especially litigators) out there sporting goatees?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm

The answer to whether or not you should sport a goatee, no matter what the situation is for, is undoubtedly no.

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I think TCR is self confidence you wuss.
TCR. Do you get bitties with it? If so, then I doubt an interviewer will bat an eye.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

firemed wrote:

Moustache or nothing!
firemed wrote: Seriously... my jawline and chin is so bad it makes me look like I am royalty.

http://www.faceforum.com/chin_implants.aspx

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Do you honestly want the guy interviewing you to think he is talking to an evil version of you?

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Emma. wrote:
firemed wrote: Seriously... my jawline and chin is so bad it makes me look like I am royalty.

http://www.faceforum.com/chin_implants.aspx
lol'd

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
+1

Bearded Biglaw can be a lonely place. I kept my very short beard for all my 1L firm interviews, have worn it all summer at my V50, and will keep it for 2L OCI as well. OCS said it might create a slight disadvantage in NYC and DC, though, so I'll report back after going through the whole shebang.

OP, goatees are the jean shorts of the beard family (at least it's not a chinstrap or a flavor-saver). There's a risk it adversely affects you. If you have great grades from a great school, where what you want on your face. If you're at all risk-averse, shave.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”