If You Don't Get an Offer...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If You Don't Get an Offer...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

I won't hear from my firm for a few weeks about whether or not I get an offer, so in the meantime I've signed up for OCI. If you worked as a summer associate after 2L, do firms check up with your employer if you do 3L OCI? What do you say if you don't get an offer?

sullidop

Re: If You Don't Get an Offer...

Postby sullidop » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Uncertain whether they will check with the employer, but they will ask you.

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/CDO_Public/non_offer_advice.pdf

I've also heard of a soft no-offer where the firm that rejected you will allow you to say that you were extended an offer but declined it. This seems ethically dubious and I would be hesitant to pursue it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:01 pm

sullidop wrote:Uncertain whether they will check with the employer, but they will ask you.

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/CDO_Public/non_offer_advice.pdf

I've also heard of a soft no-offer where the firm that rejected you will allow you to say that you were extended an offer but declined it. This seems ethically dubious and I would be hesitant to pursue it.

Cold offering is the standard lingo, and it's relatively common (the large NYC firm I work at does it and isn't that secretive about it). Not that it happens to a lot of people every year, but a lot of firms are happy to give offers but discourage their acceptance. But it's a real offer with a letter and everything. It's a chance to go into the job hunt as a 3L no harm / no foul from not working out with the 2L firm, and it leaves the candidate in a position of debt to the firm which hopefully mitigates the reputation damage no-offering can otherwise cause.

Some people have accepted cold offers, and the firm has awkwardly accommodated them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 pm

the question is how do you know you've been cold-offered? i mean i doubt they outright come out and say hey we're giving you an offer, but expect you to decline it, that just sounds tactless and unprofessional. what if you were reassured that the offer was not cold-offer? sounds kind of odd to assure somone their offer is not a cold offer but this happened to a fellow peer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the question is how do you know you've been cold-offered? i mean i doubt they outright come out and say hey we're giving you an offer, but expect you to decline it, that just sounds tactless and unprofessional. what if you were reassured that the offer was not cold-offer? sounds kind of odd to assure somone their offer is not a cold offer but this happened to a fellow peer

It is not subtle. Even the most socially awkward TLS person will not miss it. They tell you that you have an offer but that you should look elsewhere.

If you happen to be the person that my firm cold offered, you were also given pointers on minimizing your sexual harassment of people at the next job you wound up with. That kind of not subtle.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you happen to be the person that my firm cold offered, you were also given pointers on minimizing your sexual harassment of people at the next job you wound up with. That kind of not subtle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you happen to be the person that my firm cold offered, you were also given pointers on minimizing your sexual harassment of people at the next job you wound up with. That kind of not subtle.

180 if mods can confirm this isn't a flame.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Cavalier wrote:

180 if mods can confirm this isn't a flame.

90% probably not a flame

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Hahaha wow, surprised that didn't lead to an outright no-offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”