UT Lottery vs. Pre-Select Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UT Lottery vs. Pre-Select

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Are there any Texas students who can explain the lottery system at UT. What it means to be pre-selected versus lottery selected. What the breakdown of lottery to preselect is. TYIA

Anonymous User

Re: UT Lottery vs. Pre-Select

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any Texas students who can explain the lottery system at UT. What it means to be pre-selected versus lottery selected. What the breakdown of lottery to preselect is. TYIA
Ditto this. Also, what are one's chances of actually getting a callback from a lottery pick, if I am within their requested grade cutoff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:16 pm

UT 3L here. Too late to be asking now that bids are out, but it works like this. It is possible to bid a firm highly enough to receive a lottery interview slot, even though the firm would not have chosen to interview you via preselect. I don't know the ratio, but I don't recall getting more than a few lottery picks.

Firms vary in terms of how they treat their lottery students. I used my lottery picks to get interviews with firms whose GPA cutoffs I was slightly outside of. In my experience, some treated me like any other screener, including inviting me to the happy hours/dinners after interviews, etc. Others made it very clear that they had no interest in talking to me (e.g., interviewing partner leaving the interview room before I came in, leaving me with only a first-year associate; partner suggesting other firms for me to consider early in the interview). I did not receive a callback from any lottery pick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:34 pm

i received a mix of lottery, preselects and alternates (with a handful of other unassigned alternates).

do they view alternates like lottery picks where your chances are shot before you even walk in the door?

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i received a mix of lottery, preselects and alternates (with a handful of other unassigned alternates).

do they view alternates like lottery picks where your chances are shot before you even walk in the door?

Unless there is some UT-specific crap, no. Alternates are people that are acceptable but they did not have enough interview slots. They would not pick an alternate that they strictly would not hire. If you are an alternate you have a shot.

Also, they may not even know or remember that you are an alternate. It could have been picked by someone else or they might not even care to look at their preselect list.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 pm

I received 31 preselects and was scheduled for my top 25. However, some of my lower bid preselects were pure reaches and I'd love the opportunity to interview with them. Is there any way, if I cancel some of my interviews, that I could interview with some of the firms for which I was preselected but did not receive interviews for due to the 25-interview cap?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:05 am

Did anyone get preselected for a firm but not scheduled? I have less than 25 interviews and yet I was not scheduled with two firms that preselected me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received 31 preselects and was scheduled for my top 25. However, some of my lower bid preselects were pure reaches and I'd love the opportunity to interview with them. Is there any way, if I cancel some of my interviews, that I could interview with some of the firms for which I was preselected but did not receive interviews for due to the 25-interview cap?
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get preselected for a firm but not scheduled? I have less than 25 interviews and yet I was not scheduled with two firms that preselected me.
Call and ask Drew. Or email. I talked to him earlier today and he was extremely helpful.

bob sacamano

New

Post by bob sacamano » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 am

So basically, lottery = no shot, even if you're technically within the firm's requested numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 am

bob sacamano wrote:So basically, lottery = no shot, even if you're technically within the firm's requested numbers?
i was wondering that too. i mean, i understand if you're well outside their typical range, but what if you still fall within the range. could you then win them over from the interview? or have they pre-written a rejection before you even step foot in the interview suite?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bob sacamano wrote:So basically, lottery = no shot, even if you're technically within the firm's requested numbers?
i was wondering that too. i mean, i understand if you're well outside their typical range, but what if you still fall within the range. could you then win them over from the interview? or have they pre-written a rejection before you even step foot in the interview suite?
I would also like to know if anyone has been successful (been able to get a callback) from the lottery. Otherwise, it just seems like the lottery system is in place to placate people and give the impression that you have a shot at OCI when you do not.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 am

jsarna1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I would also like to know if anyone has been successful (been able to get a callback) from the lottery. Otherwise, it just seems like the lottery system is in place to placate people and give the impression that you have a shot at OCI when you do not.
+1!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Same 3L anon here. I should clarify that my experience via lottery was exclusively with NY/DC firms. They generally state something like top 10-15%, LR preferred. At the time, I was top 25%, LR, MC/MT. If you are 10%+LR you may fair better, but if you have those numbers I think you'd be preselected not lottery. Texas firms may be more generous, especially if you are at/near the cutoff and are from Texas. I found Texas firms as a whole hostile to me as a non-Texan, even when my numbers exceeded their expectations, so once again my advice is limited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UT 3L here. Too late to be asking now that bids are out, but it works like this. It is possible to bid a firm highly enough to receive a lottery interview slot, even though the firm would not have chosen to interview you via preselect. I don't know the ratio, but I don't recall getting more than a few lottery picks.

Firms vary in terms of how they treat their lottery students. I used my lottery picks to get interviews with firms whose GPA cutoffs I was slightly outside of. In my experience, some treated me like any other screener, including inviting me to the happy hours/dinners after interviews, etc. Others made it very clear that they had no interest in talking to me (e.g., interviewing partner leaving the interview room before I came in, leaving me with only a first-year associate; partner suggesting other firms for me to consider early in the interview). I did not receive a callback from any lottery pick.
Thanks for your help in this thread. I can't believe the interviewing partner would actually leave the room. Talk about being transparent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:21 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1!
Rising 3L UT here. Got a callback from a lottery last year. Was right at the GPA cutoff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

jsarna1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UT 3L here. Too late to be asking now that bids are out, but it works like this. It is possible to bid a firm highly enough to receive a lottery interview slot, even though the firm would not have chosen to interview you via preselect. I don't know the ratio, but I don't recall getting more than a few lottery picks.

Thanks for your help in this thread. I can't believe the interviewing partner would actually leave the room. Talk about being transparent.
Happened to me too. I can name the partner and firm, too. Unbelievably classless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Rising 3L UT here. Got a callback from a lottery last year. Was right at the GPA cutoff.
Mind elaborating? I'm just trying to figure out if I should incur the expense of coming back to Austin early, before my lease at my new place starts, if I don't really have a shot. I'm technically within their requested GPA, although their requested GPA only works out to about top 1/3rd or so, and I suspect they want much higher grades than that.

(I'm a 3L and only applied for this one interview, thus the concern about the expense of coming back early)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:

Happened to me too. I can name the partner and firm, too. Unbelievably classless.
PM me the info if you don't mind. Very interested to know if it's a firm I got a lottery interview with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Mind elaborating? I'm just trying to figure out if I should incur the expense of coming back to Austin early, before my lease at my new place starts, if I don't really have a shot. I'm technically within their requested GPA, although their requested GPA only works out to about top 1/3rd or so, and I suspect they want much higher grades than that.

(I'm a 3L and only applied for this one interview, thus the concern about the expense of coming back early)
Sure. What information are you looking for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sure. What information are you looking for?
Basically, since you say you got a callback off a lottery interview, I'm just wondering what your grades were relative to their requirements, if you did anything unique/different during the interview, and the geographical location of the firm.. . . also any clues as to which firm it was?

Thanks so much

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:

Please out this firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:24 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1!
Ditto this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm

I received a call back and offer for a SA position from a lottery pick. I split the summer and was offered and accepted a position after graduation with that firm. I was just barely outside of their GPA requirement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Basically, since you say you got a callback off a lottery interview, I'm just wondering what your grades were relative to their requirements, if you did anything unique/different during the interview, and the geographical location of the firm.. . . also any clues as to which firm it was?

Thanks so much
It was for the Houston office of a bigtext v100 firm. I was right at the GPA cutoff for the firm (top 1/3) but I also had an upward trend in grades (top 10% grades in Spring semester). I thought the interview went smoothly and I could tell that the interviewers were trying to sell the firm to me halfway through the interview. As far as I can tell, I didn't do anything different from my other interviews. With that said, I also had bad experiences with other firms where I was lottery picked (partner checking his phone for about half of the interview). Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 am

it has started. shall we make this the UT OCI thread? to share information on call backs, receptions, etc?

good luck, everybody!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”