Does the ABA ban 1L's from applying for internships early? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does the ABA ban 1L's from applying for internships early?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Just to establish why I am posting anonymously, my username easily establishes who I am, and I know students from my school frequent TLS. So I am an rising 1L, and through contacts someone in the NYC Law department said they will give me a paid internship starting soon, but I am almost positive i read somewhere that 1L's were not even allowed to apply for internships until November or something like that. So 1. Is it normal to have a internship during the semester, and 2. Does anyone know if schools or the ABA have banned such practices? And if they have, should I just take the internship anyway?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Re: Does the ABA ban 1L's from applying for internships early?

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to establish why I am posting anonymously, my username easily establishes who I am, and I know students from my school frequent TLS. So I am an rising 1L, and through contacts someone in the NYC Law department said they will give me a paid internship starting soon, but I am almost positive i read somewhere that 1L's were not even allowed to apply for internships until November or something like that. So 1. Is it normal to have a internship during the semester, and 2. Does anyone know if schools or the ABA have banned such practices? And if they have, should I just take the internship anyway?
ask your school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just to establish why I am posting anonymously, my username easily establishes who I am, and I know students from my school frequent TLS. So I am an rising 1L, and through contacts someone in the NYC Law department said they will give me a paid internship starting soon, but I am almost positive i read somewhere that 1L's were not even allowed to apply for internships until November or something like that. So 1. Is it normal to have a internship during the semester, and 2. Does anyone know if schools or the ABA have banned such practices? And if they have, should I just take the internship anyway?
ask your school.
I'll second this advice but I'm pretty sure it's all jobs.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

You are confusing two different rules.

The ABA has a limit on how many hours students are allowed to work.

NALP has rules on when firms can start looking to hire 1Ls for summer programs (and for when schools can start counseling students about how to pursue those jobs).

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 pm

If it's not a NALP member, you're free to apply whenever you want. Your school's career services office won't speak to you until November 1, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”