Writing Sample Question? Using excerpts from two things?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolftw

Writing Sample Question? Using excerpts from two things?

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 pm

I spent my summer working for a small law firm and while I got a lot of experience doing things like drafting discovery/complaints I didn't do a ton of writing. However, I did write what my boss called a "pocket brief" for a criminal trial. It was basically a two and a half page argument about a very narrow legal issue that the judge had reserved judgment on from the day before. Now this obviously is not long enough to be a writing sample, but I was thinking about using a combination of that and an excerpted piece from the brief I wrote for my LRW class as a writing sample.

Thoughts?

edit:: The reason I want this is because I do really like the work i did for the trial, I think it reflects some of my best work.

johndhi

Re: Writing Sample Question? Using excerpts from two things?

Postby johndhi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm

You have my support, for what it's worth. I've been bouncing between different writing samples, but one I've been doing is two separate documents, each about four pages long. I think it's good to be in the 8-10 page range overall and that it shouldn't be a big deal to have two docs as long as you make it clear what they are/that they are different, etc. More than 2 is probably too much.

Return to “Legal Employment”