Biglaw associates... time for gym?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Polski

Re: Biglaw associates... time for gym?

Postby Polski » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:15 pm

rayiner wrote:I'm seeing quite a spread here between "staying in shape" and "being a serious gym rat that goes for a couple of hours 5 days a week." The former is definitely doable. The latter might be a stretch. It's not hard to get in a few hours of something a week in big law. It's hard to keep a consistent schedule of something, however.

Great observation. The OP didn't make it clear whether his gym workouts were the intense gym rat kind or just a bit of exercise to stay in shape.

From what I've seen through my interactions with biglaw associates, those who take their fitness very seriously -- as in, either competitively or as a serious hobby -- tend to be single, not have much else going on, etc. They don't need to budget time for significant others or kids, so they can take that extra long bike ride.

If you're just concerned about staying in shape, it shouldn't be hard to squeeze in an average workout a few times a week. Also, don't forget other, sneaky, gym-free ways of staying in shape -- like taking the stairs to your office. Believe it or not, that stuff adds up. And if you're trying to balance work with fitness AND a social life, make working out a social thing. Go for a run with your friends, play a pick-up game of basketball, whatever. You'll be hitting two birds with one stone.

Noval

Postby Noval » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I go to the gym 3 times a week, and i am in BigLaw, with some time management it's pretty possible.
I usually wake up at 5 am, get out at 6, go to the gym from 6:30 to around 7:45, then hit to the office (While buying breakfast on drive-ins).

Sometimes if i get out earlier, by 7pm, i can go one hour to the gym as well...
If you're not the kind of person that has time to go to the gym early in the morning or after work, you might as well stick to a very healthy diet and avoid stacking in kilos with your food allowance(Instead of ordering a cheese burger with bacon and fries, take sushis or a falafel sandwich, which can be amazingly good when ordered from the right place lol).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Polski wrote:Great observation.

Banned for alting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I summered at a firm in Boston last year and talked to an associate about this. When he joined the firm, he gained weight because he let the gym routine fall to the side. However, he lost the weight because he just started scheduling his gym workouts into his work day. Every day there was a calendar appointment for the gym and he'd schedule calls and such around it. Maybe it is just the firm, but they had no problem with him taking off (this was not a face time kind of place). Of course, it helped that our office had a gym in the same building. This is an appealing option for those who have unpredictable work schedules (like corporate work) because you may be at work late at night and a morning workout doesn't necessarily help if it means you'd only get 4 hours of sleep to be able to get to the gym.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:50 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:I have a hard time believing that competitive runners have to dedicate far more time to training than a "gym rat," let alone a competitive lifter or bodybuilder.

Quoted for having no idea what it takes to be a competitive runner.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 am

rayiner wrote:I'm seeing quite a spread here between "staying in shape" and "being a serious gym rat that goes for a couple of hours 5 days a week." The former is definitely doable. The latter might be a stretch. It's not hard to get in a few hours of something a week in big law. It's hard to keep a consistent schedule of something, however.

My firm lets me leave for an hour or so in the middle of every day to go work out. 8)

Return to “Legal Employment”