Follow up to mass mailing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Follow up to mass mailing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Is it advisable to follow up after mass-mailing a firm if you don't hear anything after awhile?

Miller32

Re: Follow up to mass mailing?

Postby Miller32 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Not unless you have a reason to contact the firm.

It is VERY early. Last year I applied in early July and didn't hear anything, from any firm, until mid-August.

They didn't lose your application and they aren't going to be impressed by a blizzard of information during their busiest and most stressful time of the year.

Having said that, if your position changes (evaluating an offer, doing a callback at another firm next door) it's absolutely appropriate to get in touch and try to leverage your success elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having said that, if your position changes (evaluating an offer, doing a callback at another firm next door) it's absolutely appropriate to get in touch and try to leverage your success elsewhere.

I have a callback at a v100 in a secondary market with not that many other firms that have SA programs in it. I then mailed those firms with dates I'd be in town - wise to call and say I'm interviewing with X on Y dates or just follow up re-iterating dates I'll be in town?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not unless you have a reason to contact the firm.

It is VERY early. Last year I applied in early July and didn't hear anything, from any firm, until mid-August.

They didn't lose your application and they aren't going to be impressed by a blizzard of information during their busiest and most stressful time of the year.

Having said that, if your position changes (evaluating an offer, doing a callback at another firm next door) it's absolutely appropriate to get in touch and try to leverage your success elsewhere.

Following up is not just about making sure they didn't lose your resume. It's about giving a recruiter with a stack of resumes a reason to look at yours more closely. As in, "Hey, this person was interested in our firm enough to call and follow-up. His resume looks exactly like these 20 resumes who didn't call. I guess I'll call this one first."

Return to “Legal Employment”