Best time of day to interview when selecting OCI times? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best time of day to interview when selecting OCI times?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 pm

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what they think the best time of day is to interview, and why, when scheduling interviews through the OCI process.

I prefer early morning so that the interviewer is fresh and hasn't gone through the same questions over and over. The hard part with this is creating a lasting impression.

kurla88

Bronze

Re: Best time of day to interview when selecting OCI times?

Post by kurla88 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Not right before lunch.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 pm

I have always thought that after lunch is the best time to interview. Like 1 or 2 pm.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 pm

When are you at your best?

I'm not a morning person. I know this and won't be scheduling interviews before 10 unless I absolutely have to.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 am

For what it's worth, I got a callback from the last firm that I interviewed with at the end of each day of OCI (~4pm). Besides just having lots of practice throughout the day and being relieved that the day was almost over, I found out at my firm this summer that interviewers normally have to make their selections immediately after finishing the interview process (ie. before the following morning). That makes me think that the people who they interviewed later are still in their mind when they are making decisions.

That said, it probably doesn't matter much at all -- have good grades and click with the interviewer, and you'll be fine. Just don't have the one right before lunch...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 am

last

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 am

First or last-- they're more likely to remember you (recency/primacy effects)

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 am

I'd advise against first. If they think you are amazing, they'll question whether it was a genuine impression by the end of the day.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:20 am

If you're signing up on a clipboard just erase the other names. I know it sounds like a scandalous method but it has helped me out a few times.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm

why NOT before the lunch?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why NOT before the lunch?
You want them to be thinking about you, and not about "oh man I need this to wrap up so I can go get lunch".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:why NOT before the lunch?
You want them to be thinking about you, and not about "oh man I need this to wrap up so I can go get lunch".

would they go over the morning sessions during relaxed lunch time and think more about the last person?
similarly, would they think more about the last few persons before the end of the day?

if it's suggested to go near the end of the day, why wouldn't interviewers want to rush and wrap up the day?

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Midafternoon, between 2 and 3 pm, are the WORST. Everyone gets sleepy and cranky. Avoid those spots.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Midafternoon, between 2 and 3 pm, are the WORST. Everyone gets sleepy and cranky. Avoid those spots.
What if I have an interview in this time slot but it is directly following the most socially awkward person in the class? Do the benefits of looking good in comparison to someone who will surely blow his interview outweigh the interviewers crankiness?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Midafternoon, between 2 and 3 pm, are the WORST. Everyone gets sleepy and cranky. Avoid those spots.
What if I have an interview in this time slot but it is directly following the most socially awkward person in the class? Do the benefits of looking good in comparison to someone who will surely blow his interview outweigh the interviewers crankiness?
I dare you to pull this off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I dare you to pull this off.
:?: At my school we can see the list of who is interviewing when. My time slot is in the 2-3 range but the person interviewing right before me is terrible. I can't get into specifics but there is literally no way that he will not completely blow his interview in spectacular fashion. I feel like interviewing right after him would be a huge advantage. But it would put me in the 2-3 slot. There are open spots earlier in the day that I could take instead. What do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:46 pm

I signed up for the spot directly after lunch. I figured they would be refreshed and ready to go again. Right before lunch they will be cranky and thinking about what they want to eat. Also I felt like it was close enough to the end of the day that I'll be remembered. But now I'm nervous I picked bad times b/c of what you posted!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 pm

2 CBs, both above my station, both in the morning before 10am at a job fair. I'm the complete opposite of a morning person. Read: it really doesn't matter. This is as bad as the OMG NOTHING BUT RED TIES ridiculousness in the clothing thread (but yeah still don't do them right before lunch). E.g. you're better off spacing them and giving yourself a break to refresh your memory about who's coming up next than trying to pack in 3 in a row because you or TLS has some notion that the sun aligns perfectly with Venus over your interview sight between 1:15 and 1:50 or some nonsense.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 CBs, both above my station, both in the morning before 10am at a job fair. I'm the complete opposite of a morning person. Read: it really doesn't matter. This is as bad as the OMG NOTHING BUT RED TIES ridiculousness in the clothing thread (but yeah still don't do them right before lunch). E.g. you're better off spacing them and giving yourself a break to refresh your memory about who's coming up next than trying to pack in 3 in a row because you or TLS has some notion that the sun aligns perfectly with Venus over your interview sight between 1:15 and 1:50 or some nonsense.
I agree with you that it doesn't matter that much. But I think feedback in this thread would be helpful in the same way that I find the suit thread helpful. If someone has two ties they could wear its helpful to know that a conservative red tie is better than a yellow one, even if the amount that it is "better" is negligible. It helps that person make the decision. So if a person has two choices for an interview slot, its helpful to know stuff like what NotMyRealName posted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2 CBs, both above my station, both in the morning before 10am at a job fair. I'm the complete opposite of a morning person. Read: it really doesn't matter. This is as bad as the OMG NOTHING BUT RED TIES ridiculousness in the clothing thread (but yeah still don't do them right before lunch). E.g. you're better off spacing them and giving yourself a break to refresh your memory about who's coming up next than trying to pack in 3 in a row because you or TLS has some notion that the sun aligns perfectly with Venus over your interview sight between 1:15 and 1:50 or some nonsense.
I agree with you that it doesn't matter that much. But I think feedback in this thread would be helpful in the same way that I find the suit thread helpful. If someone has two ties they could wear its helpful to know that a conservative red tie is better than a yellow one, even if the amount that it is "better" is negligible. It helps that person make the decision. So if a person has two choices for an interview slot, its helpful to know stuff like what NotMyRealName posted.
Maybe. I think there are too many variables for it to matter, personally. Part of the reason I did well was because they were early and I wasn't worn out by long days. Wouldn't have picked the times offhand, because I either am or used to be non-functional in the morning. I just think there's no way to reliably assign percentages to this, and as a result you should do what you're most comfortable with while erring on the side of conservatism.

That said, in those two interviews... blue & silver paisley tie with medium grey 2 button, and solid darkish-silver tie with gunmetal blue three button and lightly striped French cuff shirt replete with some bitching cufflinks. Also one of my young interviewers had some sick links as well. What. Now. Fashionistas.

Problem?.jpg

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”