My resume lists a GPA significantly higher than my GPA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

My resume lists a GPA significantly higher than my GPA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh.

When I first received my grades, my GPA was lower than I expected because of one outstandingly poor grade. I talked to my professor and, miraculously, he discovered he had miscalculated my grade in the year-long course by using a low figure for my first-quarter grade. After the grades department fixed my grade, my GPA went up by .12. Hooray! This also happened to take me from top10% up to top3%; great news.

Today, however, I went to download another copy of my transcript to find my GPA had dropped; still higher than it was before, but now only .007 higher. I'd also been bumped down a 1/10th point, which makes it look worse. I'm not sure if this means I'm no longer top 3% - which would suck, because top10% is the next cut-off.

Needless to say, I determined my bid strategy, submitted resumes through OCI and via mass mailing, and fucking already had an interview, based on the high GPA and top 3% numbers. What the hell do I do now? How and when should I tell these employers the numbers were wrong? How TERRIBLE is this?!

Anonymous User

Re: My resume lists a GPA significantly higher than my GPA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 pm

OP again: to further explain, it looks like what happened is the higher GPA was calculated assuming the year-long course was worth only half as many units as it indeed was. Somehow the unit # got messed up when improving my grade.

Glock

Postby Glock » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Which GPA is actually correct? The one on your resume or the one on the transcript?

If your GPA is right on the resume roll with it. Make them fix it RIGHT NOW on the transcript. Get a letter explaining it and carry it with you at OCI if it comes up.

If the transcript is right and GPA is wrong, correct your resume and give the new one to interviewers. Attach a short note/memo explaining the descrepency was a good faith mistake on the professor's part.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 pm

That sucks. :( Sounds like a question for career services?

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah I'd be talking to Career Services. You want employers to know that this was the Registrar's screw up, not yours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 am

As far as I can tell, the one on the transcript - and not the resume that everyone has - is the correct one. Very frustrating to have to come in to say, "Hi, I didn't make journal and the GPA on my resume is a lie."

Return to “Legal Employment”