OCI is tomorrow, and brand new firm expects letters of rec..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gilgamesh23

OCI is tomorrow, and brand new firm expects letters of rec..

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:34 pm

this is mostly just griping, but my OCI bidding is tomorrow and wednesday, and a firm I wouldn't mind bidding on just got added today, and one of their requirements is a personally addressed letter of recommendation from a law prof and a recent employer... seriously?!

This is the only firm/organization/agency I'm even considering bidding on (out of 10) that even wants a letter of rec, and they wait until the day before bidding starts to request it?

Is this just attorney hubris, or is this a pretty common thing? Should I have expected this and just asked people for generic letters of rec?

lawgod

Re: OCI is tomorrow, and brand new firm expects letters of rec..

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Just put in the bid, and ask your professor or whatever for a generic letter of rec, and bring it to the interview.

gilgamesh23

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 pm

career services said they're expecting both letters with my resume/cover letter/transcript tomorrow... also I can't bid w/o all docs. It's not a huge deal either way, it just seems crazy to me that they would expect something like that so soon before the bid deadline

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:42 pm

get used to douchebags who don't care about you and make unreasonable requests demands.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 pm

gilgamesh23 wrote:career services said they're expecting both letters with my resume/cover letter/transcript tomorrow... also I can't bid w/o all docs. It's not a huge deal either way, it just seems crazy to me that they would expect something like that so soon before the bid deadline

The only thing worse than bidding without the docs, is not bidding at all. Just bid. They aren't going to bark at you.

gilgamesh23

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 pm

yeah, that's probably good advice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Everyone will be the same boat. So just bid.

gilgamesh23

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:48 pm

the unreasonable demands part... as to bidding without the docs, the system won't let me bid unless I include all requested docs... I probably just should have expected this and gotten some generics a month or so ago

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 pm

gilgamesh23 wrote:the unreasonable demands part... as to bidding without the docs, the system won't let me bid unless I include all requested docs... I probably just should have expected this and gotten some generics a month or so ago

upload blank documents. Look, someone is getting this job. And noone has the letter. So just run with it, and be the one to nail this job.

gilgamesh23

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:00 pm

lawgod wrote:
gilgamesh23 wrote:the unreasonable demands part... as to bidding without the docs, the system won't let me bid unless I include all requested docs... I probably just should have expected this and gotten some generics a month or so ago

upload blank documents. Look, someone is getting this job. And noone has the letter. So just run with it, and be the one to nail this job.

hm... yeah that's probably good advice

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:19 pm

+1 to uploading blank documents.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 pm

maybe upload a letter very briefly explaining the situation and that you'll bring it to the interview would be a better idea than a blank document.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

If you don't want to upload a blank document, upload a word file that has a note that you've requested the letter and will provide it at the time of your interview. If they don't like that, they can contact you.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 pm

1. Upload a word document with scrambled text that looks like a file that didn't upload right.
2. Bring copies of all your documents to the interview, including the letter of recommendation.
3. ???
4. OFFER!

gilgamesh23

Postby gilgamesh23 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 pm

all good advice, thank you much

Return to “Legal Employment”