Intern for Judge or Firm, advice appreciated

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intern for Judge or Firm, advice appreciated

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I struck out at OCI and was not invited to any interviews. I mass mailed and was fortunate to get a call back from one small firm (20-25 attorneys) and a Judge (not district). I was offered an interview with the firm for a law clerk position this week and the Judge the week after. Assuming I get the position, would it be more beneficial to work for the Judge or the firm, especially for post-graduation job prospects?

I appreciate any input anyone can offer. Thanks.

lawgod

Re: Intern for Judge or Firm, advice appreciated

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out at OCI and was not invited to any interviews. I mass mailed and was fortunate to get a call back from one small firm (20-25 attorneys) and a Judge (not district). I was offered an interview with the firm for a law clerk position this week and the Judge the week after. Assuming I get the position, would it be more beneficial to work for the Judge or the firm, especially for post-graduation job prospects?

I appreciate any input anyone can offer. Thanks.

I'm guessing the firm, just because maybe they will hire you. And it is actual legal practice.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:32 pm

I think the law clerk job will have more portability - you'll be getting your hands on a lot of practical experience.

That said if you're hoping to get hired at that firm, then that one might be more valuable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Op here, thanks for the insight. I just hope the interview goes well and I am able to make a lasting impression while working at the firm so they may hire me after graduation. The legal market is just horrible in my state and most firms have eliminated their summer associate programs so I'm just desperate for something at this point.

Thanks again.

Return to “Legal Employment”