Early Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Early Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm working in Southern California for the summer, and have an alumni of my law school helping me into a large firm in the area. I passed the equivalent of an on-campus interview (the firm doesn't have OCI at my school in the midwest) when I met with my "contact" a few weeks ago. In a later phone conversation, he said to get the earliest possible callback interview date. What I didn't hear because of the poor reception was that it should be scheduled during callback season in September. Consequently, when I received the news today that I got a callback, I attempted to set-up the callback for next week before I return to the midwest. When I told him that, he said that I was being over-anxious and doing things out of order (stated kindly), and I should change the callback interview date.

Do you think I have reason to worry my chances are completely off? Is there some unwritten code that makes me look like an idiot?

The firm is a regional office of a very large international firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Early Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:34 pm

I was under the impression that most mass-mail CBs occurred before the normal OCI season, especially when someone interviews before leaving the region. For example, I have one next week in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working in Southern California for the summer, and have an alumni of my law school helping me into a large firm in the area. I passed the equivalent of an on-campus interview (the firm doesn't have OCI at my school in the midwest) when I met with my "contact" a few weeks ago. In a later phone conversation, he said to get the earliest possible callback interview date. What I didn't hear because of the poor reception was that it should be scheduled during callback season in September. Consequently, when I received the news today that I got a callback, I attempted to set-up the callback for next week before I return to the midwest. When I told him that, he said that I was being over-anxious and doing things out of order (stated kindly), and I should change the callback interview date.

Do you think I have reason to worry my chances are completely off? Is there some unwritten code that makes me look like an idiot?

The firm is a regional office of a very large international firm.

Lots of firms do early callbacks, sometimes for 1L candidates they were interested in but couldn't fit in their summer class the prior year (I have 2 of these coming up, the firms contacted me out of the blue and suggested these early dates). It could potentially be a great situation where you get an offer early on and accept it then don't have to worry about the rest of OCI. The potentially difficult situation, however, is that NALP gives you 28 days to accept/reject an offer, so should you decide that you're not 100% set on this So Cal firm after an early interview and you want wait for the results of your OCI in the Midwest, you might be up against a deadline you're uneasy with since your 28 days might almost be up by the time you get around to callbacks in the Midwest. I'm not sure how rescheduling would look.. I'd personally try to avoid it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Playing off this (not the OP), I wonder if an early callback before OCI actually increases the chance of an offer because of the sort of "rolling" way that firms handle the CB process. The 28 day thing shouldn't be an issue to OP, having an offer is always better than no offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:50 pm

This particular firm is my 1st choice, so I would probably accept immediately. However, I have a feeling my contact is having second thoughts about sticking his neck out for me because I didn't follow the unwritten protocol (that is the only reason I have think he was a little touchy on the phone). . . I'm waiting on a return phone call from the scheduler to move the callback into Sept. Thanks!

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This particular firm is my 1st choice, so I would probably accept immediately. However, I have a feeling my contact is having second thoughts about sticking his neck out for me because I didn't follow the unwritten protocol (that is the only reason I have think he was a little touchy on the phone). . . I'm waiting on a return phone call from the scheduler to move the callback into Sept. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. He probably was just busy or his wife yelled at him.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was under the impression that most mass-mail CBs occurred before the normal OCI season, especially when someone interviews before leaving the region. For example, I have one next week in NYC.

+1

OP, you didn't do anything wrong, I have a cb before OCI season, I thought it was pretty standard actually (maybe cali is different than NYC, but i've never heard that)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:32 pm

How willing would a firm (say v25) be to extend an offer past the 28 day period, in the case of an early callback?

If someone got an offer, and said, "Thanks, I am very interested but I want to wait to hear back from my other callbacks before making a decision, could I have a couple extra weeks ...." would the firm oblige? I can't imagine they would flat out say "no" .... right?

Anyone have any experience with this situation and how the firm responded?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How willing would a firm (say v25) be to extend an offer past the 28 day period, in the case of an early callback?

If someone got an offer, and said, "Thanks, I am very interested but I want to wait to hear back from my other callbacks before making a decision, could I have a couple extra weeks ...." would the firm oblige? I can't imagine they would flat out say "no" .... right?

Anyone have any experience with this situation and how the firm responded?

I spoke to my career services office about this (trying to coordinate with an SO), and they said the deadlines are notoriously difficult to extend. No personal experience with it, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was under the impression that most mass-mail CBs occurred before the normal OCI season, especially when someone interviews before leaving the region. For example, I have one next week in NYC.

This is wrong. Some do every year, and it's great for the people who can make it happen, but by far the majority of successful mass-mailing callback-like interviews occur at or after regular OCI.

My first response from a mailing campaign came the day after my first OCI interview. Many friends got responses during or after callback season.

Firm practice varies, but it's objectively and dramatically false that most happen before normal OCI season.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How willing would a firm (say v25) be to extend an offer past the 28 day period, in the case of an early callback?

Everyone I know who asked for an extension received at least one, and often more, particularly if the offer came from an early callback (firms understand the new system compresses things unfairly to people who move quickly).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:51 pm

How long after a CB do most NYC firms inform you of a final decision?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after a CB do most NYC firms inform you of a final decision?

Some firms try to move faster than others, the top NYC firms in particular are often competing for the exact same pool of students and constantly trying to outflank one another. S&C notoriously gives you an offer during (technically right at the end of) your callback and most of the others move fairly quickly, but it depends on when the hiring committee meets. Next day isn't unheard of, within a week or two is much more common.

My offers from NY firms all came within a week, probably on average 3 days later. Some other people had them later, it's impossible to predict at the outset.

Return to “Legal Employment”