What can I do about the firms I didn't get in the lottery?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What can I do about the firms I didn't get in the lottery?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:44 pm

So there are firms I bid on, but for one reason or another through the lottery I didn't get an interview. I wanted to know what the custom is (if there is one at all) for how I can try to snag an interview with these firms. Mailing? Showing up first thing the day of? Sending flowers?

Any and all advice is appreciated. And if this was already explained in a different thread I apologize ahead of time.

GeePee

Re: What can I do about the firms I didn't get in the lottery?

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there are firms I bid on, but for one reason or another through the lottery I didn't get an interview. I wanted to know what the custom is (if there is one at all) for how I can try to snag an interview with these firms. Mailing? Showing up first thing the day of? Sending flowers?

Any and all advice is appreciated. And if this was already explained in a different thread I apologize ahead of time.

There are a couple of things you can do. First, you can email them with your materials and say that although you didn't receive an interview through the lottery, you are still very interested in the firm and would like them to consider your application. This could result in either a mass mail--style callback, or the firm making room for an extra 20 minute interview slot.

If that doesn't work, hawk the add/drop list each morning and jump on any availabilities. People have told me that this is more effective than you might think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Do you just e-mail the recruiter your resume and transcript, with a short note in the body of the e-mail explaining the situation?

edit: not OP, fwiw

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you just e-mail the recruiter your resume and transcript, with a short note in the body of the e-mail explaining the situation?

Yes.

If you're at a desirable school, put "X Law 2L" in the subject line.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Firms also usually host hospitality suites. Show up with your resume and in interview attire, express interest, and say you didn't get a spot through the lottery. If they like you, they will tend to meet with you before or after regular interviewing hours.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am

IzziesGal wrote:Firms also usually host hospitality suites. Show up with your resume and in interview attire, express interest, and say you didn't get a spot through the lottery. If they like you, they will tend to meet with you before or after regular interviewing hours.

so - if I have two preselects for an off campus interview program, its worth it to go because I might be able to grab an extra interview?

nice

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 am

When emailing firms that I bid on, but for which I did not get a lottery slot, what should I include in the email?

Should it be like a cover letter- explaining my interest in the firm or just say, I bid on you, but did not get you. Attached is resume and unofficial transcript?

Not sure if it changes anything, but I'm at GULC in the top 10%.

Thanks!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 am

shadow. wrote:When emailing firms that I bid on, but for which I did not get a lottery slot, what should I include in the email?

Should it be like a cover letter- explaining my interest in the firm or just say, I bid on you, but did not get you. Attached is resume and unofficial transcript?

Thanks!

Keep the email short and sweet, salutation, my name is X and I am a 2L at school Y, although I didn't get an interview I am still very interested in your firm. I have attached my resume/cl/writing sample?/grade sheet.

Sincerely

Then attach a formal cover letter as a seperate document.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 am

Cupidity wrote:
shadow. wrote:When emailing firms that I bid on, but for which I did not get a lottery slot, what should I include in the email?

Thanks!

Keep the email short and sweet, salutation, my name is X and I am a 2L at school Y, although I didn't get an interview I am still very interested in your firm. I have attached my resume/cl/writing sample?/grade sheet.

Sincerely

Then attach a formal cover letter as a seperate document.

A long cover letter is probably unnecessary for a lottery firm. Short and sweet e-mail explaining you didn't get them in the lottery should probably be enough. That and a resume.

JetSetter68

Postby JetSetter68 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 am

Last edited by JetSetter68 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:46 pm

I am a transfer student that went from a pre-select school to a lottery school. I got quite a few pre-selects and I sent an email asking for interviews at the new school OCI (only for the firms I didn't get via lottery of course). So far I have gotten 4 new interviews either at lunch or end of the day from the firm willing to meet with me. This is definitely worth a shot and shows initiative so I think people like that.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I did not send a cover letter, just attached a resume. I sent one paragraph emails to 6 firms and have setup interviews with 4 of those firms. It is definitely worth the 15 minutes it takes to email the firms. I think it is fine to keep it short and just show an interest. A cover letter may be more valuable the closer you are to their GPA cutoff, who knows.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Who did you guys send the email to? I don't see any contact info on symplicty

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 pm

I've had pretty good luck emailing w/o a cover letter. Lower T14, median-ish.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 pm

kurla88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you just e-mail the recruiter your resume and transcript, with a short note in the body of the e-mail explaining the situation?

Yes.

If you're at a desirable school, put "X Law 2L" in the subject line.

Should you do this? I just put Summer Associate Application... it seems kind of strange to blatantly throw your school into the subject line, dunno

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had pretty good luck emailing w/o a cover letter. Lower T14, median-ish.

How long did it take them to get back to you?

Return to “Legal Employment”