So what happens if...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheZoid

So what happens if...

Postby TheZoid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 am

You go to a T-14 and finish below median or at the bottom of your class. Can you still find some level of gainful employment that you could service your debt with if you paid sticker? Do you try to grab a government job and get on IBR? Any thoughts on this?

lawgod

Re: So what happens if...

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:44 am

Gov job is not a terrible option. If you can get into a state AG's office, there is decent pay, decent hours, lots of fast experience, and you can go into a corporation or a firm after a few years.
Go for it.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 am

thanks lawgod. I'm actually a 0L right now, but appreciate the advice. I'm just trying to weigh options to see if a T-14 is really worth sticker/what you do if things don't pan out for you there and you don't get BigLaw.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am

Depends a lot on the T14. Columbia and Chicago students below median are going to be a hell of a lot better off then GULC students below median.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 am

Continuing on this theme...what happens (to) the lowest-ranked law student at the worst law school in the country?

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

I should note: I was responding to the notion that you end up way towards the bottom. Being a bit below median is no big deal.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

emorystud2010 wrote:Continuing on this theme...what happens (to) the lowest-ranked law student at the worst law school in the country?

They defend Casey Anthony?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:Continuing on this theme...what happens (to) the lowest-ranked law student at the worst law school in the country?

They defend Casey Anthony?

and make it rain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:46 pm

lawgod wrote:Gov job is not a terrible option. If you can get into a state AG's office, there is decent pay, decent hours, lots of fast experience, and you can go into a corporation or a firm after a few years.
Go for it.

This is naively optimistic.

I have good friends who worked hard, got decent grades, and applied for several jobs like this from my T14 after striking out during OCI. They graduated unemployed.

There are over 5,000 students in the top 14 and there are hiring freezes and budget cuts all up and down the government sectors. The DoJ is hiring fewer people out of law school than at any time in its history.

It's a very, very hard road to get a government job these days. They care less about grades and school, but they are by no means a fallback option.

In addition, while some can jump to "firms" it's functionally impossible to jump to a large firm or biglaw. Which doesn't make it a poor career path, but it's not a magical back door. My firm and many like it exclusively hire people from its 2L summer class or rarely as laterals from other big firms or big firm summer programs.

In my experience, "graduating unemployed and struggling" is what happens to most people that OP described. And it sucks.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 pm

http://harladavisonlaw.com/

Return to “Legal Employment”