NYC tougher this year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC tougher this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 pm

I got grilled by two firms at the patent fair about ties to NYC. I think they are onto the whole "NYC as a safety" thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got grilled by two firms at the patent fair about ties to NYC. I think they are onto the whole "NYC as a safety" thing.

I've surprisingly gotten drilled on "Why do you want NYC?" at every pre-OCI interview I've done thus far. Thankfully, I have substantial reasons and ties, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but it definitely goes against the "Nobody cares about ties" line that I was fed by everybody.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:Something like: New York is an easy market to get, so make sure to throw bids there, interest/grades/general bidding strategy notwithstanding.

Oh okay. Our CSO's only general advice was "NYC, ATL, DC, and Nashville are tough." So I will be interested to see what shakes out.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:40 pm

rad law wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Something like: New York is an easy market to get, so make sure to throw bids there, interest/grades/general bidding strategy notwithstanding.

Oh okay. Our CSO's only general advice was "NYC, ATL, DC, and Nashville are tough." So I will be interested to see what shakes out.

I find it funny that Nashville is mentioned alongside the other three (and I'm from Nashville originally).

You're at Vandy right? I would think Vandy students would find Nashville pretty easy, aside from the relative lack of SA's there.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Nashville pretty easy, aside from the relative lack of SA's there.

I lol'd at the "easy market, aside from there being no jobs"

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Riiiiiight. I think you know what I meant, but maybe you didn't.

I meant that I would think a student from Vandy in the top half of his class would find Nashville easier than a student from a T10 in the top half of his class.

Extrapolate as you see fit.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Nashville pretty easy, aside from the relative lack of SA's there.

I lol'd at the "easy market, aside from there being no jobs"

It's easy if you have good grades and are from Nash. A ton of people at Vandy want to stay in Nash though and I've heard anecdotally that people throw excess bids at Nash firms. And there are few positions.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 pm

rad law wrote:

Were they (or are you) kidding? Aren't those the markets Vandy serves?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

quakeroats wrote:
rad law wrote:

That's what I mean. The advice was lulzy. That left a smattering of Bham, TX, OH, and some randoms, probably in that order.

barry

Postby barry » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:14 pm

rad law wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
rad law wrote:

That's what I mean. The advice was lulzy. That left a smattering of Bham, TX, OH, and some randoms, probably in that order.

UVA student here. I think the OCS advice that hurt us was more how much they scared people about DC (because it was a blood bath last year), thus a huge portion of our class that usually concentrates on DC didn't

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Jesus Christ, it's August 1st. A few people had early bad luck based on their expectations at UVA's first round of giving out interviews. This "NYC APOCALYPSE" meme needs to die and everybody needs to slow their roll.

This is an exceedingly stressful period of time under good circumstances and the lack of information and shaky economy don't help things, but TLS is hysterically overreacting based on a tiny amount of information.

Has anybody even received a single rejection letter yet? Anyone? How many people have even done interviews?

Re: UVA - the process is much different this year than last. As an example, at this point last year not only had 80% of interviews gone out, but many of them came from 'top 5' picks which resulted in a more even distribution of pre-selects prior to the lottery being run.

The people who are worried now tend to have under top 20% but above top third grades. Those are the people who will (1) get the most lottery interviews (since they likely bid selective firms that will be relatively easier to get in the lottery), (2) have received more alternates (obvious from the postings on TLS), (3) will have a high alternate -> interview conversion rate (it was true last year and the max interview # was 30, which many took, so it should be quite a bit higher this year), and (4) are still bidding on the easiest market to get a job in once you actually have an interview.

Seriously, 70% of interviews have been offered. Based on declined interviews from people with over 20 options, the lottery, and special requests, anybody who DOESN'T have 20 interviews right now is likely to see their total number of interviews increase dramatically. The system is annoying, but I knew a lot of people who got a handful of pre-selects and double, triple, or more the total number of interviews by the time the process was over. That's the way the preselect system works.

Remain calm. Step away from the ledge.

Even the numbers we're seeing don't look bad compared to last year. The people I know last year with ~median grades who bid on NYC, as a group, did worse than the people this year reporting results with ~median grades bidding on NYC. And our school has 350++ people bidding and receiving interviews with barely double-digit levels of reporting on TLSsingle person I've heard of with roughly median grades

Re: Other schools - last year I sent letters to firms in mid-july. First positive response can mid-August. Chill. Out.

Re: NYC and ties - guess what, I was also asked about ties at every single interview I did in NYC. I also had none, as did many of my friends, and it didn't impede progress. Nobody said you wouldn't be ASKED about why you were interested in NYC, people said it wouldn't be IMPORTANT. And it won't, because NYC still has more than twice as many summer jobs available as any other location in America.

People who bid without ties on other markets? Slaughter house.

Hell, I asked a recruiter at my (NYC) firm today if we had an abnormally large number of interview requests from UVA. Answer?

No.

So if everyone could hold off on the panic, that'd be groovy.

Return to “Legal Employment”