writing to firms that I was unable to bid on Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajmax8

New

writing to firms that I was unable to bid on

Post by ajmax8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 am

I am out of the country during part of oci, and these plans were made a long time ago. There are several firms that I really wish I could have bid on. When is the appropriate time to directly mail them asking for an interview? My thought process was I did not want to mail at the same time bids were due, saying "I am unable to make it but I want to interview with you", because I thought that would come off as me saying I want them to schedule around me. Any idea when I should mail them, i.e. after preselects come out? Second question, phrasing the cover letter, should I mention that I was unable to bid on them but I really really would like an opportunity for an interview? Full disclosure, I'm on vacation for a couple days after my job finishes, and it was planned in January, so please spare me the "you're an idiot for making plans during oci" routine, because I did not know those dates back then. Therefore, is something vague like "I was out of the country xyz" acceptable? Anyone had this experience before? Thanks.

Aston2412

Bronze

Re: writing to firms that I was unable to bid on

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

Confused.

You missed the bid deadline because you were on vacay or you didn't bid on some firms because their interview dates are during your long-planned vacay?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 am

I would cancel the vacation

ajmax8

New

Post by ajmax8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 am

i did not bid on some firms because their interview dates are during the vacay

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 am

Just say scheduling conflict. Still though, missing part of OCI for a vacation is 9/10 on the retard scale unless you don't really want a firm job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:Just say scheduling conflict. Still though, missing part of OCI for a vacation is 9/10 on the retard scale unless you don't really want a firm job.
DF, what is 10/10 if this is only a 9?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just say scheduling conflict. Still though, missing part of OCI for a vacation is 9/10 on the retard scale unless you don't really want a firm job.
Doing this then asking firms "how soon can I get maternity leave, and how often can I do it?"

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Doing this then asking firms "how soon can I get maternity leave, and how often can I do it?"
LOL. Good point.

ajmax8

New

Post by ajmax8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 am

ouch, harsh replies, but i know/guess this deserves the harshness for being up there on the idiot scale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm

My question falls under the title of the post but is not related to the OP's question:

For firms that we did not bid on, how do we go about writing them to secure interviews? I really want an interview at a handful of firms, but couldn't fit them anywhere on my bid list. (I.e., I would have bid on them, but they would've been a throwaway bid because I needed to bid them higher to have a shot at getting them through lottery.) The reason I didn't bid was not for lack of interest, but because they gave out fairly few offers this year and my bid strategy was to maximize my chance at an offer.

Any thoughts on whom we should write to or what to say? I feel awkward about not bidding on them, but I am still hoping that writing them pre-OCI would be a viable strategy in case hospitality suites don't work out.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My question falls under the title of the post but is not related to the OP's question:

For firms that we did not bid on, how do we go about writing them to secure interviews? I really want an interview at a handful of firms, but couldn't fit them anywhere on my bid list. (I.e., I would have bid on them, but they would've been a throwaway bid because I needed to bid them higher to have a shot at getting them through lottery.) The reason I didn't bid was not for lack of interest, but because they gave out fairly few offers this year and my bid strategy was to maximize my chance at an offer.

Any thoughts on whom we should write to or what to say? I feel awkward about not bidding on them, but I am still hoping that writing them pre-OCI would be a viable strategy in case hospitality suites don't work out.

Thanks.
Also wondering what the protocol is on this - there are a few firms coming to OCI at my CCN that I bid but didn't get, and would at least like to put myself in the running in any way possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”