Bags for OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bags for OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am

What are women using?

I was thinking of getting either a black or navy Longchamp bag in the medium size. Would that be proper for interviews or big enough to fit the portfolio that everyone uses?

emciosn

Re: Bags for OCI

Postby emciosn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 am

Haha why was that posted anonymously?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:59 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:01 am

Dany wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=162066#p4655777

Haha, thanks. I checked out those posts and even asked the same question there yesterday, but did not get a reply. OCI starting soon, so want to get the bag thing done and over with.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 am

emciosn wrote:Haha why was that posted anonymously?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:46 am

If medium means what I think it means (i.e. if the large is not luggage-sized) it's not going to fit a portfolio comfortably. I think you would need the large size.

I have related concerns:

1) Longchamps get kind of slouchy once you put stuff in them - problem? Also, are they too trendy to be professional?

2) I know I asked this before, and I'm not being incredulous or disrespectful or anything, but do women really carry purses instead of briefcases? That's just unexpected to me. I guess it doesn't matter, because we're aiming for the large, structured, might-as-well-be-a-briefcase purses?

I also have an unrelated concern:

1) I have a Nine West tote-thing that even with my untrained eye I can tell is appropriate. However, parts of the shoulder strap are a little battered. Do interviewers demand pristine purses? FWIW it survived my practice interview without ridicule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:10 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:If medium means what I think it means (i.e. if the large is not luggage-sized) it's not going to fit a portfolio comfortably. I think you would need the large size.

I have related concerns:

1) Longchamps get kind of slouchy once you put stuff in them - problem? Also, are they too trendy to be professional?

2) I know I asked this before, and I'm not being incredulous or disrespectful or anything, but do women really carry purses instead of briefcases? That's just unexpected to me. I guess it doesn't matter, because we're aiming for the large, structured, might-as-well-be-a-briefcase purses?

I also have an unrelated concern:

1) I have a Nine West tote-thing that even with my untrained eye I can tell is appropriate. However, parts of the shoulder strap are a little battered. Do interviewers demand pristine purses? FWIW it survived my practice interview without ridicule.

If the straps are noticeably worn, I suppose you could carry it by hand and it would be less noticeable than on the shoulder.

Would you mind posting a link to some acceptable looking bags, Nine West or otherwise? Was about to go with Longchamp but I see your point about trendy/slouchy.

Thanks!

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Longchamps in office-appropriate colors are very popular at OCI and summer associateships. However, if you have some cash, I would recommend investing in a nice large leather bag in a neutral color (dark gray or black is best; brown can be tough to match) as a foundation staple of your professional wardrobe. Look for older styles of Kate Spade, Coach and Cole Haan for big discounts from online retailers. No one is going to notice that your bag was "last year" (especially if it is fairly conservative and classic) and it will last you a long time.

I would get. A bag large enough to fit a padfolio, some additional papers and of course all your gagets. I would also recommend getting one large enough to slip your laptop into, as this makes your bag functional for life outside of OCI.

Marley

Postby Marley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:42 pm

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/halogen-dua ... ltback=900

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/fossil-jess ... tback=2340 (if that hideous bow is removable)

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/sale/handba ... rwaller/38

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved-- (i have this and rly like it, FWIW)

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved-- (probably the most classic, conservative of the bunch)

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:55 pm

None of these are actual purchasing suggestions, but as far as what I figure a bag should look like:

This is obviously not such a good idea price-wise, but I would feel safe with a bag that looked like this:
--LinkRemoved--

If only this were black, not "glam red" (=salmon apparently):
--LinkRemoved--

Mine is actually a lot like this:
http://www.luggages-bags.com/bigproduct ... 222118.jpg

The one posted in the other thread looked good too (and has the advantage of being currently for sale in an appropriate color and not $500 lol). I also really like the first Wilson's leather one above.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Also I definitely agree with getting something big enough to put your shoes in. Total lifesaver.

UVA2013

Postby UVA2013 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Is red out of the question? Have a nice kate spade leather bag - it is structured, rectangular, and red (not bright or patent or anything, but still red). Although I'd actually been planning on just walking into interviews with a leather folder and no bag.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 pm

UVA2013 wrote:Is red out of the question? Have a nice kate spade leather bag - it is structured, rectangular, and red (not bright or patent or anything, but still red). Although I'd actually been planning on just walking into interviews with a leather folder and no bag.

I would not take a red bag. I think fashion-wise the goal is just to look like everyone else so you can dazzle with your personality.

What are you guys' favorite online/actual stores for bargains on bags? I want a nice laptop tote... but I am new to nice things.

cosmopolitan

Postby cosmopolitan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 am

I have a pretty great Tumi bag that I've been carrying around at my SA. It's got leather straps and a leather bottom but is otherwise a lighter-weight and slightly less structured fabric, and fits in perfectly at this office -- so ladies, don't feel like you need to get leather. Leather doesn't always wear that well, either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm

What about carrying a medium-size purse and a separate folio for resumes and such? If I wanted to throw my handbag, folio, and maybe a backup shirt or pair of flats in a larger tote bag, will it be weird if I stash it in the hospitality suite or something?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about carrying a medium-size purse and a separate folio for resumes and such? If I wanted to throw my handbag, folio, and maybe a backup shirt or pair of flats in a larger tote bag, will it be weird if I stash it in the hospitality suite or something?

I was going to do something like that. Apparently there's a going to be a room where you can leave stuff at Michigan OCI, so I'm just going to bring my regular purse (which is awesome and Coach and fits pretty much everything even though it's not ultra-ginormous) and then leave it there when I have interviews.

cattail

Postby cattail » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about carrying a medium-size purse and a separate folio for resumes and such? If I wanted to throw my handbag, folio, and maybe a backup shirt or pair of flats in a larger tote bag, will it be weird if I stash it in the hospitality suite or something?

I was going to do something like that. Apparently there's a going to be a room where you can leave stuff at Michigan OCI, so I'm just going to bring my regular purse (which is awesome and Coach and fits pretty much everything even though it's not ultra-ginormous) and then leave it there when I have interviews.

I was thinking bringing a small conservative looking purse with little things like lipstick into the interview room along with my portfolio. it might be a hassle to leave and get the purse in between interviews. I would bring a pair of comfy shoes in a tote and leave it at the secured area though.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 pm

cattail wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I was thinking bringing a small conservative looking purse with little things like lipstick into the interview room along with my portfolio. it might be a hassle to leave and get the purse in between interviews. I would bring a pair of comfy shoes in a tote and leave it at the secured area though.

TBH, the reason I don't want to do this is because I'd totally leave the little purse in the interview room at least once :lol:.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Polski

Postby Polski » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I love anything and everything by Jack Georges. It's a bit expensive compared to what you'd get at Macy's, but the bags are well-made and have a nice, clean, business look to them. Plus, they retain their structured look, unlike many bags, which tend to lose their shape after a while.

Return to “Legal Employment”