WUSL EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bryan cave stl preselects just went out via email...makes 3 stl preselects with zero ties, a bloody miracle.

LOL at that email... "URGENT! The great Bryan Cave has made their precious selections! Act now!" They're so freaking presumptuous. Wouldn't even want to work for them.

Haha the email is weird, but I think you're being a bit presumptuous. It was sent from our OCS, not Bryan Cave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bryan cave stl preselects just went out via email...makes 3 stl preselects with zero ties, a bloody miracle.

LOL at that email... "URGENT! The great Bryan Cave has made their precious selections! Act now!" They're so freaking presumptuous.

I hope we're interviewing at the same office, then. :P

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyones with invitations update today?

Two of my "invitations" became preselects today. It really does seem to be predictive. (As in I've not been denied yet from a firm that shows up as an "invitation.)

One of my two did today as well. We're getting closer to making this a scientific law.
I was rejected earlier today from one under my "invitations." Maybe it just means that something is on its way to you - good or bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL at that email... "URGENT! The great Bryan Cave has made their precious selections! Act now!" They're so freaking presumptuous. Wouldn't even want to work for them.

Haha the email is weird, but I think you're being a bit presumptuous. It was sent from our OCS, not Bryan Cave.

I realize it was sent from OCS. But you can sense their snobbery oozing into the way OCS is handling the situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL at that email... "URGENT! The great Bryan Cave has made their precious selections! Act now!" They're so freaking presumptuous.

I hope we're interviewing at the same office, then. :P

Very unlikely.

And knock yourself out. It's very likely I'll cancel my interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I realize it was sent from OCS. But you can sense their snobbery oozing into the way OCS is handling the situation.

"Congrats! You have been selected to interview with the St. Louis office of Bryan Cave as part of Early Interview Week OCI." Sounds like a pretty standard opening for an email telling you about a preselect. I guess you could argue the fact they sent an email at all, but it seems like there's actually something complicated going on with their scheduling.

...not that I wanna go out of my way to say BC aren't snobs or anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

jealous here...stl native, and BC was my first one.

You'll definitely have a better shot at converting your one into a job than I do converting one of my three :x

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize it was sent from OCS. But you can sense their snobbery oozing into the way OCS is handling the situation.

"Congrats! You have been selected to interview with the St. Louis office of Bryan Cave as part of Early Interview Week OCI." Sounds like a pretty standard opening for an email telling you about a preselect. I guess you could argue the fact they sent an email at all, but it seems like there's actually something complicated going on with their scheduling.

...not that I wanna go out of my way to say BC aren't snobs or anything.

Fair enough. Let's just say this: my conception of BC as snobs, combined with how long they took make their selections, and a special email saying URGENT at the top all rankled me. In a vacuum, the email is probably fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fair enough. Let's just say this: my conception of BC as snobs, combined with how long they took make their selections, and a special email saying URGENT at the top all rankled me. In a vacuum, the email is probably fine.

:) I understand

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:43 am

since the math for selections is 70-30... perhaps with invitations means that you are on the firm's list, but after wash cso does their alternate/lottery math there is a chance you don't get the interview...

i would like to know if firms are given a certain number which in its entirety equals only 70%, or if they are given a figure that corresponds to 100% of the interview spots and CSO gets to play robin hood. (good and bad depending on your position)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:since the math for selections is 70-30... perhaps with invitations means that you are on the firm's list, but after wash cso does their alternate/lottery math there is a chance you don't get the interview...

i would like to know if firms are given a certain number which in its entirety equals only 70%, or if they are given a figure that corresponds to 100% of the interview spots and CSO gets to play robin hood. (good and bad depending on your position)

There's no way they take preselects away. Lottery will be in addition

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Is it not possible that alternate is in fact lottery?

It would seem more practical to do things all at once rather than say not selected and then tell you that you received an interview via the lottery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it not possible that alternate is in fact lottery?

It would seem more practical to do things all at once rather than say not selected and then tell you that you received an interview via the lottery.

Can't do lottery til all preselects are in

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 pm

anyone get Atlanta in off campus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Anyone have any lottery picks come through yet?

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Any consensus on whether lottery picks are still to come? I'd be pretty confused if it goes much past tomorrow without us hearing word.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:54 am

I really don't think they can do it without all preselects, and I still have one pending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 pm

lol at those thinking the best firm in the city is conceited because of an email OCS, not the firm, sent out. Someone's got an inferiority complex...

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol at those thinking the best firm in the city is conceited because of an email OCS, not the firm, sent out. Someone's got an inferiority complex...
show us a pic of your monogrammed bryan cave pom poms, unnecessarily anonymous lil breh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:57 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lol at those thinking the best firm in the city is conceited because of an email OCS, not the firm, sent out. Someone's got an inferiority complex...
show us a pic of your monogrammed bryan cave pom poms, unnecessarily anonymous lil breh

yep, I summered there: anonymous so people don't know which of us I am. It's not a pretentious place, but it clearly is the only national firm in the market. They know it and, what's more, every other firm in St. Louis knows it too. If you interview at other places, they'll all have negative things to say about Bryan Cave hours and environment, none of which rang true after spending a summer there. I don't know where all this BC hate comes from in this years' rising 2L class...I can only assume people are afraid they won't get a job there and want to be able to say they didn't want it anyway.

Edit: I don't mean to say that other firms aren't good. There are some great firms in St. Louis and the top of the market is comprised of extremely high quality places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:43 pm

So does it definitely mean that if you have an alternate spot you actually now have an interview? Or do we have to still wait to find out if we will be granted interviews with those firms we were selected as alternates at?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

yep, I summered there: anonymous so people don't know which of us I am. It's not a pretentious place, but it clearly is the only national firm in the market. They know it and, what's more, every other firm in St. Louis knows it too. If you interview at other places, they'll all have negative things to say about Bryan Cave hours and environment, none of which rang true after spending a summer there. I don't know where all this BC hate comes from in this years' rising 2L class...I can only assume people are afraid they won't get a job there and want to be able to say they didn't want it anyway.
Snark aside, you're not doing a bang-up job of convincing people bc isn't pretentious with all the talk of inferiority complexes and such. Can't say I wouldn't be tempted to do the same thing if someone talked smack about my firm, but the defensiveness/offense is the best defense approach probably isn't the best tactic.

For 2L reference, the two people I know who summered at bc are nice enough. this guy's not necessarily putting a great face on them here IMO, but you'll understand if you summer and like your firm a lot. Don't let it put you off, it's probably a good sign - not many people are going to stick up for a place that treats them badly (though summers don't really know jack about that, I'd be worried about my firm's financial health if they treated associates like they do summers). Prestige doesn't build loyalty from what I've seen, but being a good place to work will (and money/prestige certainly won't hurt in the presence of that necessary condition).

And with that, I'm done cluttering up this thread with nonsense. Best of luck to everyone - crush dem interviews, cop dat jerb.

transfer dilemma

Postby transfer dilemma » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not a pretentious place... I can only assume people are afraid they won't get a job there and want to be able to say they didn't want it anyway.

I'm sorry, but for a firm that's "not a pretentious place," they sure do hire some pretentious people.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Is that all the preselects in, then? I noticed a few more firms went out today.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:Is that all the preselects in, then? I noticed a few more firms went out today.

My last bid came in today, but there were a bunch I didn't bid on.

Return to “Legal Employment”