WUSL EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby JCougar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I've met as many people with an inflated view of the law school as I have people who have never heard about it. Sometimes, especially with academics, the reputation of the med school/undergrad/etc. carries the reputation of the law school on its back.

But yes, I do agree that there's enough people that go "WTF" when talking about WUSTL Law that I wish they could do something about it's spotty lay reputation. It's kind of hit or miss. Either people have never even heard of it, or they think it's totally awesome. It's funny...I had never even heard of the school until I started perusing TLS looking for law schools to apply to that take splitters, and I'm originally from the Midwest. We need WUSTL to have a famous sports team or be in a movie or some TV drama series. Apparently, hosting VP debates isn't enough.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

JCougar wrote:I've met as many people with an inflated view of the law school as I have people who have never heard about it. Sometimes, especially with academics, the reputation of the med school/undergrad/etc. carries the reputation of the law school on its back.

But yes, I do agree that there's enough people that go "WTF" when talking about WUSTL Law that I wish they could do something about it's spotty lay reputation. It's kind of hit or miss. Either people have never even heard of it, or they think it's totally awesome. It's funny...I had never even heard of the school until I started perusing TLS looking for law schools to apply to that take splitters, and I'm originally from the Midwest. We need WUSTL to have a famous sports team or be in a movie or some TV drama series. Apparently, hosting VP debates isn't enough.


hmm i think joe paterno is available for hire........

Even WUSTL's medical school residency placement isn't what you would expect from a top 5 medical school. I have a friend at WUSTL med who showed me the match list from WUSTL and UMICH and told me that the Umich match list is a lot stronger.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Kabuo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm

JCougar wrote:I've met as many people with an inflated view of the law school as I have people who have never heard about it. Sometimes, especially with academics, the reputation of the med school/undergrad/etc. carries the reputation of the law school on its back.

But yes, I do agree that there's enough people that go "WTF" when talking about WUSTL Law that I wish they could do something about it's spotty lay reputation. It's kind of hit or miss. Either people have never even heard of it, or they think it's totally awesome. It's funny...I had never even heard of the school until I started perusing TLS looking for law schools to apply to that take splitters, and I'm originally from the Midwest. We need WUSTL to have a famous sports team or be in a movie or some TV drama series. Apparently, hosting VP debates isn't enough.


Get some wustl film major to pen a rom com about a doctor involving the preftigous med school imo.

User avatar
mountaintime
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby mountaintime » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:A possibly futile attempt to get this thread back on topic...

Did OCI over or underperform the expectations of those who were informed and realistic heading into it, or was it about what was expected? About what % of the class would you say biglaw dipped into? Still about 20?

Just trying to figure out what to possibly expect for next year (although the Dean says it's gonna be worse... awesome).
Pretty much exactly as expected IMO, always a couple of outliers but the majority fell in line with conventional wisdom from what I've heard. I know a median-or-just-below non-IP white dude who got V100. Obviously this isn't going to happen to more than 1 or 2 people in the class. I feel like we've got a shot at doing better than 20% for NLJ250 after graduation but who the eff knows, given the way midwestern offer rates go. Positive that at least 20% have NLJ250 SAs. Could very well be 25-33% with summer NLJ spots but a bunch get no-offered, since that's evidently the way it works once you get past the V100. IMO, if you're a straight white male (maybe female too?)... 10% you're golden for a big market and have a very good shot at cracking a tough small market if you want, top 15% should be good for some biglaw or approximation thereof, it's a tossup around top 20% and top quarter, top 1/3 your chances get pretty scarce, below that... best of luck.

IP changes absolutely everything... seriously, everything. URM can (maybe?) do the same to a lesser extent, I've heard that being female can be a difference-maker, but that's just what I've heard. No idea whether that's just grousing by d00ds or actually true.


can you post or PM me which market this was in? I don't want you to out that person or anything, but did they have stellar work experience or some other thing going for them? do you know, was that job secured via OCI or independently?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Wustl EIW 2012

This thread appears to be dead, but in the off chance someone might answer...has anyone noticed unreported (still pending) firms as showing up when you sort bids to "with invitations?" If so, any idea what that's about?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Wustl EIW 2012

This thread appears to be dead, but in the off chance someone might answer...has anyone noticed unreported (still pending) firms as showing up when you sort bids to "with invitations?" If so, any idea what that's about?


Same thing happened to me. Let's just say if it ends up being accurate, I'm going to be very, very happy. But who knows if it means anything. Probably doesn't.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: Wustl EIW 2012

This thread appears to be dead, but in the off chance someone might answer...has anyone noticed unreported (still pending) firms as showing up when you sort bids to "with invitations?" If so, any idea what that's about?


Same thing happened to me. Let's just say if it ends up being accurate, I'm going to be very, very happy. But who knows if it means anything. Probably doesn't.



Weird. What region? Same thing for me with STL, CHI, and KC firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 am

Same for me. KC firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:28 am

I got some TX and Indy firms, too.

Edit: In addition to KC/STL.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

I got stl, chi, and ny(multiple offices) but I'm not sure if this means it's a preselect because some of the firms that show up for me are kind of unexpected.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 pm

I am top third, secondary journal, and seeing an alarming lack of interviews (exactly 1, from my #1 bid, and I was an alternate) from EIW and the off campus NYC thing. Is anyone in my position seeing screeners? I was not expecting an easy ride to a firm job by any means, but I think I've been pretty smart with my bidding, and thought I should at least get some screeners.

Is it too early to panic?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:54 pm

i only get midwest firms for the with invitations... what nyc firms are you getting back in the pending list under the with interviews search?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

when do lottery and alternate positions get decided?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when do lottery and alternate positions get decided?


Lottery has not been decided yet? I figured it had since the only interview I did get was a bit of a reach and where I spent my #1 bid.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am top third, secondary journal, and seeing an alarming lack of interviews (exactly 1, from my #1 bid, and I was an alternate) from EIW and the off campus NYC thing. Is anyone in my position seeing screeners? I was not expecting an easy ride to a firm job by any means, but I think I've been pretty smart with my bidding, and thought I should at least get some screeners.

Is it too early to panic?


Maybe we can get some 3Ls in here to comment on your situation. But, from what I recall from last year, Top 1/3 was really tough and depended a lot on work experience. I think people were seeing meaningful differences in success between top 25% and top 1/3. It's a tough zone to be in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Simpson thacher is up. Also confirmed if you look at with invitations it can be either preselect or alternate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Simpson thacher is up. Also confirmed if you look at with invitations it can be either preselect or alternate.


Does alternate mean lotto? I assumed it meant preselects turned it down so they went deeper.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm not sure if it could be lotto. I bid simpson really low so I doubt it's lotto. Although I don't know how they determine lottery.

User avatar
Michael Bluth
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Michael Bluth » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am top third, secondary journal, and seeing an alarming lack of interviews (exactly 1, from my #1 bid, and I was an alternate) from EIW and the off campus NYC thing. Is anyone in my position seeing screeners? I was not expecting an easy ride to a firm job by any means, but I think I've been pretty smart with my bidding, and thought I should at least get some screeners.

Is it too early to panic?


What markets did you bid? And yeah it's probably a bit early to panic, but it probably wouldn't hurt to send some targeted mailings to non-OCI firms in markets you have ties to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am top third, secondary journal, and seeing an alarming lack of interviews (exactly 1, from my #1 bid, and I was an alternate) from EIW and the off campus NYC thing. Is anyone in my position seeing screeners? I was not expecting an easy ride to a firm job by any means, but I think I've been pretty smart with my bidding, and thought I should at least get some screeners.

Is it too early to panic?


What markets did you bid? And yeah it's probably a bit early to panic, but it probably wouldn't hurt to send some targeted mailings to non-OCI firms in markets you have ties to.


Way ahead of you on this. Just got those out a couple days ago and haven't heard anything yet, but much more optimistic about those. Still alarmed by the EIW stuff so far. I bid NY, Stl, and the Indy/Ohio/KY ones. I have no ties to NY, and plenty to OH/KY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am top third, secondary journal, and seeing an alarming lack of interviews (exactly 1, from my #1 bid, and I was an alternate) from EIW and the off campus NYC thing. Is anyone in my position seeing screeners? I was not expecting an easy ride to a firm job by any means, but I think I've been pretty smart with my bidding, and thought I should at least get some screeners.

Is it too early to panic?


What markets did you bid? And yeah it's probably a bit early to panic, but it probably wouldn't hurt to send some targeted mailings to non-OCI firms in markets you have ties to.


TITCR. I don't go to WUSTL (I go to a T20 and am from a midwest market, not chicago) and I've already done a CB and got an invite for a screener today. Firms are market paying, biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Are those with alternate selections signing up for an interview time? It gives you the option, but I seem to remember people saying that was a glitch in last year's thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are those with alternate selections signing up for an interview time? It gives you the option, but I seem to remember people saying that was a glitch in last year's thread.


I did. I was told by a friend that it means you were an alternate, but they've since accepted you. If that's a glitch, I'm super bummed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are those with alternate selections signing up for an interview time? It gives you the option, but I seem to remember people saying that was a glitch in last year's thread.


I did. I was told by a friend that it means you were an alternate, but they've since accepted you. If that's a glitch, I'm super bummed.


Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to get my hopes up because I was able to schedule an interview with one of my first-choice firms where I was listed as an alternate.

Edit: And what do you mean by "but they've since accepted you"? Because I was able to sign up immediately - i.e. it said "Accept Alternate" and then I was immediately whisked away to the interview sign-up page. Unless you mean that they had some sort of preliminary list and then added the "alternates" to it prior to it showing up on symplicity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are those with alternate selections signing up for an interview time? It gives you the option, but I seem to remember people saying that was a glitch in last year's thread.


I did. I was told by a friend that it means you were an alternate, but they've since accepted you. If that's a glitch, I'm super bummed.


Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to get my hopes up because I was able to schedule an interview with one of my first-choice firms where I was listed as an alternate.

Edit: And what do you mean by "but they've since accepted you"? Because I was able to sign up immediately - i.e. it said "Accept Alternate" and then I was immediately whisked away to the interview sign-up page. Unless you mean that they had some sort of preliminary list and then added the "alternates" to it prior to it showing up on symplicity.



Same. There was no delay for me between it being posted to simplicity as an alternate and having access to the interview slots.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.