WUSL EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: WUSL EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure. Supposedly pending = not selected. Fared pretty well, 10/19 with 9 pre and 1 lotto. Fully expecting the 11 resume collects to be the equivalent of jettisoning my files into a black hole.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say eff you too, St. Louis firms :x Eff. You. Too. 0/5 and yeah, I mad. I so mad. I'd be even madder if there had been enough firms I was interested in to where those would have been wasted bids tho :?

what kind of #s?
Maybe outing myself but eh, I feel like you people who can ID me are collectively decent non-catty dudes. Within top quarter, but I'm IP.
Oh, not on a journal and my interviews were spread across everywhere. Chicago, Texas, Atlanta, Cincy, NY, and one firm spread across other southern markets. Ties to south in general and Ohio. Luckily I've already learned that I'm pretty much a geographic preference BSing masterman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got 1 lottery 4 selects and 2 alternates. I noticed that with my alternates when I clicked the "accept" button I was able to sign up for an interview slot. Anyone else have this? I signed up for interview spots but I don't know if I was supposed to. Seems like if I wasn't supposed to I wouldn't have had the option though...

Edit: also didn't fare very well with STL firms, I'm guessing they were pretty heavily bid.

Edit: Just got an e-mail about the alternate thing. appears it is a "glitch" and those will be removed. Why do I get the feeling it was human error...

Didn't share stats earlier: just inside top third, secondary journal, non-IP, non-urm, crossing-fingers-for-bryan-cave-and/or-husch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Hoping for Husch/BC as well. Looking realistically, if I only got 1 in St.L so far, those definitely aren't coming.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hoping for Husch/BC as well. Looking realistically, if I only got 1 in St.L so far, those definitely aren't coming.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sometimes the bigger firms are looking for more than just higher grades. They can also be looking for people more willing to specialize and become an expert in one area...someone who knows what they wanted to do.

I talked with an alumni from Kirkland & Ellis a while ago. I was like "I'm sure you had to be on law review to get K&E from here." He was like, "No, I was on a secondary journal. They mostly want people who know what they want to do."

Of course, he was hired in like 2007 or so, which was a totally different market. But still.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 pm

How does lottery and preselect work for yall? How many of a firm's slots are lottery and how many are preselect?

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:19 pm

rad law wrote:How does lottery and preselect work for yall? How many of a firm's slots are lottery and how many are preselect?

70% preselect and 30% lottery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Bryan Cave results are posted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Bryan Cave is up, fyi.

Edit: Ahh, someone beat me to it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got 1 lottery 4 selects and 2 alternates. I noticed that with my alternates when I clicked the "accept" button I was able to sign up for an interview slot. Anyone else have this? I signed up for interview spots but I don't know if I was supposed to. Seems like if I wasn't supposed to I wouldn't have had the option though...

Edit: also didn't fare very well with STL firms, I'm guessing they were pretty heavily bid.

Edit: Just got an e-mail about the alternate thing. appears it is a "glitch" and those will be removed. Why do I get the feeling it was human error...

Didn't share stats earlier: just inside top third, secondary journal, non-IP, non-urm, crossing-fingers-for-bryan-cave-and/or-husch.

Me again - got a lottery select at bryan cave. Pretty stoked I guess, pride isn't hurt too much that I wasn't pre-selected... :wink:

So numbers now: 4 selects, 2 lottery, 2 alternate

Just inside top third, secondary journal, non-urm/IP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

16 pre-selects, 0 lottery. 1 alternate. Waiting to hear on Husch. Bid on 22 firms, focused on Chicago, the midwest, and D.C. Just inside top 10%, LR, non-URM/IP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty sure. Supposedly pending = not selected. Fared pretty well, 10/19 with 9 pre and 1 lotto. Fully expecting the 11 resume collects to be the equivalent of jettisoning my files into a black hole.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say eff you too, St. Louis firms :x Eff. You. Too. 0/5 and yeah, I mad. I so mad. I'd be even madder if there had been enough firms I was interested in to where those would have been wasted bids tho :?

what kind of #s?
Maybe outing myself but eh, I feel like you people who can ID me are collectively decent non-catty dudes. Within top quarter, but I'm IP.
Oh, not on a journal and my interviews were spread across everywhere. Chicago, Texas, Atlanta, Cincy, NY, and one firm spread across other southern markets. Ties to south in general and Ohio. Luckily I've already learned that I'm pretty much a geographic preference BSing masterman.
BC preselect, 11/21. Be curious to see whether they're wanting it to be for STL or ATL. All disparaging remarks made towards St. Louis firms are hereby redacted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 pm

I've heard rumblings Bryan Cave is raising SL salaries to 125 for first years.

Anyone know if this applies to the KC office as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Hasn't it always been 125? Did they lower it in ITE?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hasn't it always been 125? Did they lower it in ITE?

I thought it was currently 115?

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought it was currently 115?

NALP says $125k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

15%, law review, IP, ties to STL and west coast.

7 preselect
0 lottery
1 alternate

Some of my results confuse me though: how do I get, e.g., a preselect from Jones Day but a reject from Armstrong? I guess it must be a function of the slots they're looking to fill and my particular IP background... but still, JD felt like a super reach and AT felt very likely, especially with ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Yeah, I got Skadden and another big chi firm, but rejected by firms I thought would interview me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:15%, law review, IP, ties to STL and west coast.

7 preselect
0 lottery
1 alternate

Some of my results confuse me though: how do I get, e.g., a preselect from Jones Day but a reject from Armstrong? I guess it must be a function of the slots they're looking to fill and my particular IP background... but still, JD felt like a super reach and AT felt very likely, especially with ties.
Re: AT, part's probably background, part is probably that your resume or CL didn't scream STL loud enough. Either would be enough to not get it, from what I've seen.

Re: Jones Day, definitely don't undersell your stats or our school - especially when IP is in the mix. A rising 3L told me TLS is a bit overly harsh and tends to think everything is more formulaic than it really is, and he's right. Based on the evening I've had, if you're a normal guy who can carry a conversation pretty well, someone with your stats (mine are definitely worse) and IP ought to be able to land a callback with pretty much any firm in the country once you have a screener. Zero exaggeration; you should be golden.

Protip from my experiences so far, fellow WUSTLers: normal convos = success. As soon as I enter sell mode or get nervous, interviewers smell it and things start to go south. Being super personable and just overall nice can carry you. Also, if you play a pickup sport, put it on your resume somewhere if you can or work it into your convo if the opportunity presents itself. Do. Not. Underestimate. the interests section

Wooostl2012

Postby Wooostl2012 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:15%, law review, IP, ties to STL and west coast.

7 preselect
0 lottery
1 alternate

Re: AT, part's probably background, part is probably that your resume or CL didn't scream STL loud enough. Either would be enough to not get it, from what I've seen.

Re: Jones Day, definitely don't undersell your stats or our school - especially when IP is in the mix. A rising 3L told me TLS is a bit overly harsh and tends to think everything is more formulaic than it really is, and he's right. Based on the evening I've had, if you're a normal guy who can carry a conversation pretty well, someone with your stats (mine are definitely worse) and IP ought to be able to land a callback with pretty much any firm in the country once you have a screener. Zero exaggeration; you should be golden.

Protip from my experiences so far, fellow WUSTLers: normal convos = success. As soon as I enter sell mode or get nervous, interviewers smell it and things start to go south. Being super personable and just overall nice can carry you. Also, if you play a pickup sport, put it on your resume somewhere if you can or work it into your convo if the opportunity presents itself. Do. Not. Underestimate. the interests section

Anecdotally, this is very true, as to both Armstrong and as to normal conversation. The best interviews I had last year were the ones where law/grades/school didn't come up at all. Most these lawyers are not at all interested in hearing a sales pitch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
what kind of #s?
BC preselect, 11/21. Be curious to see whether they're wanting it to be for STL or ATL. All disparaging remarks made towards St. Louis firms are hereby redacted.
Just got Brinks Hofer in the weird one-slot 2nd EIW round as well. 12/22.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Me again - got a lottery select at bryan cave. Pretty stoked I guess, pride isn't hurt too much that I wasn't pre-selected... :wink:

So numbers now: 4 selects, 2 lottery, 2 alternate

Just inside top third, secondary journal, non-urm/IP

Me again - Husch results are out. Got a preselect from them, pretty excited. Final: 5 selects, 2 lottery, 2 alternate. Just inside top third.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Me again - Husch results are out. Got a preselect from them, pretty excited. Final: 5 selects, 2 lottery, 2 alternate. Just inside top third.

St. Louis ties? And, does anyone know people with like 5+ lottery interviews? Everyone on here seems to have 0-2, I'm starting to doubt it's a 70/30 split. My lottery came in at my 7 or 8th bid, which doesn't really make sense to me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 pm

12/22 final then, got dinged. Thought the IP-heavy Chicago office might want a look, but not too put-out about it. Congrats to people who picked one up with them!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Me again - Husch results are out. Got a preselect from them, pretty excited. Final: 5 selects, 2 lottery, 2 alternate. Just inside top third.

St. Louis ties? And, does anyone know people with like 5+ lottery interviews? Everyone on here seems to have 0-2, I'm starting to doubt it's a 70/30 split. My lottery came in at my 7 or 8th bid, which doesn't really make sense to me

No stl ties really, I'm from the midwest. I expressed an interest in staying in stl in my cover letter. Must have just liked something they saw I guess.

As for the lottery, my two lotto selects were on my first and second bid. I was surprised to even get two. The lottery thing is a little bit of a mystery to me honestly. I guess if they are doing like 20 interviews, 6 of them will be selected through the lottery, still makes the chances of getting a lotto select pretty low on heavily bid firms.

Also, are the lotto selects from anyone who bids? So a firm could be forced to interview someone at the bottom of the class? Presumably in that situation they would know they were interview a lotto select. With my two lottos I'm within their criteria so hopefully they won't know... :wink: (if that even matters)

edit: btw I bid on 20 not including resume collects

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got Brinks Hofer in the weird one-slot 2nd EIW round as well. 12/22.

I bid on Brinks Hofer was slected for an interview, However, I just realized It's an IP firm, and I'm not IP. Why did they select me for an interview? I thought they were exclusively an IP firm. Maybe interviewing for a patent job that doesn't require an IP background?

Can't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess.

Return to “Legal Employment”