CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether grades are still in question during the callback stage? Is it fair to assume that if a firm thought my grades were too low they would just not give me a callback?

I ask because I seem to be out-performing my grades in terms of the callbacks I've been getting and am wondering whether I still have less of a chance of converting these callbacks into offers than someone with higher grades.


I would posit that grades are almost certainly in play with the exception of S&C which had nearly 100% offers to those it called back last year. Other firms extend offers to approximately 50% of those they call back (obviously the 50% figure is approximate). Presumably, grades would continue to be a factor... If you got a callback, it merely means that (1) you meet the grade cut-off (e.g. your grades do not make it impossible for you to get an offer) and (2) the interviewer who screened you thought you were a viable candidate based on personality.


So for firms which have offered around 50% or less to Stones, would median grades hold me back at the CB stage?


You are posting anonymously, so you might as well mention the firm that way someone can look at the actual statistics...

Obviously, median grades make you a less attractive candidate than someone with top quartile grades. That said, you may have better work experience or be a better "fit" for the firm in terms of personality. If you got a callback then the screener obviously thought you were a viable candidate. You were a more viable candidate than some people with better grades (e.g. Stones) who did not get callbacks. If 75% of a firm's offers go to Stones then you obviously are competing for fewer slots (e.g. the 25% of offers that go to non-Stones). However, it's very likely that fewer non-Stones received callbacks, so you are competing with fewer people for those fewer slots.

There is no mathematical formula. Obviously, grades are a factor. No one is going to assuage your anxiety and tell you grades don't matter. They do. However, you obviously overcame your grades and got a callback. Therefore, there is obviously something attractive about you. Go into the callback with confidence and do the best you can - you're in the running. You have a shot. Do your best. That's really all that can be said.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How far apart should we space callbacks? one a day, place a day or two between them? Any thoughts?

Unless you really think you'll be too tired - as soon as possible, even if they are day after day. Some people even have 2 on the same day.


As soon as possible. At some firms (not all, but enough) it's advantageous to get in early while they still have a ton of spots to give out. Obviously a couple of days' difference won't matter, but if a firm extends a bunch of offers the week after EIP, many people accept, and you come in two weeks later, the bar will be higher.

I don't recommend doing two in a day though. It's possible if everything goes according to schedule, but interviews and/or lunch sometimes run over.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How far apart should we space callbacks? one a day, place a day or two between them? Any thoughts?

Unless you really think you'll be too tired - as soon as possible, even if they are day after day. Some people even have 2 on the same day.


As soon as possible. At some firms (not all, but enough) it's advantageous to get in early while they still have a ton of spots to give out. Obviously a couple of days' difference won't matter, but if a firm extends a bunch of offers the week after EIP, many people accept, and you come in two weeks later, the bar will be higher.

I don't recommend doing two in a day though. It's possible if everything goes according to schedule, but interviews and/or lunch sometimes run over.



Ok so I should try to schedule them the week of EIP? I was thinking of taking a day or two to prepare/relax after EIP. But I could try to schedule them earlier.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ok so I should try to schedule them the week of EIP? I was thinking of taking a day or two to prepare/relax after EIP. But I could try to schedule them earlier.


I don't think a matter of a couple of days matters. And it's important to give yourself a break here and there so you don't burn out. I would just try to get them all finished before labor day (to the degree firms allow you to do so).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:21 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok so I should try to schedule them the week of EIP? I was thinking of taking a day or two to prepare/relax after EIP. But I could try to schedule them earlier.


I don't think a matter of a couple of days matters. And it's important to give yourself a break here and there so you don't burn out. I would just try to get them all finished before labor day (to the degree firms allow you to do so).



Oh OK, great. thanks for this tip and all the others. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 pm

S&S Reception tomorrow - mandatory if we want a callback?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard from Williams and Connolly or Wachtell?


also interested

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 0 callbacks and 0 dings. I'm starting to freak out. Anyone else in the same boat?


I'm high Stone, and I have zero callbacks from my V10 interviews. I'm an average interviewer, and I can't imagine what I might have said to make me strike out at those firms.

Unfortunately or not, ITE interviewers judge you on more than just whether you say something that will make you strike out. Did you do any practice interviews? What did they say? Try to think if you might have been a bit too nervous, mechanical, etc, instead of having conversations. And if you have good grades, talking about your resume is less important than the likability factor.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 am

Anything this morning?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:37 am

The quiet is eerie...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:47 am

Interviewed with Simpson but didn't get asked for a transcript. Can anyone confirm they're asking for transcripts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 am

Dechert is still calling back, heard from them this morning. I know a few people who heard from them on Saturday, so it's just further proof that you're not completely screwed if a firm you interviewed with has given CBs to other people but not you. :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am

At the risk of asking another useless question - what time of day do CBs generally come in, if there is such a thing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Simpson but didn't get asked for a transcript. Can anyone confirm they're asking for transcripts?


They are. Go back to your interviewer and give it to him/her. Or go to the hosp. Suite.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of asking another useless question - what time of day do CBs generally come in, if there is such a thing?


I've heard back at lots of different times of day, although mine have all been within normal business hours (no late-night or weekend CBs for me). I've gotten more in the morning than in the afternoon--maybe interviewers feel really proactive in the morning, or just want to get it over with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Reed smith CB (NY); interviewer JG

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Has anyone heard from: Wachtell, Paul Weiss, Irell and Manella (LA), Gibson Dunn (NY), or Williams and Connolly?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from: Wachtell, Paul Weiss, Irell and Manella (LA), Gibson Dunn (NY), or Williams and Connolly?

Also wondering about PW, GD (ny) and WLRK

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from: Wachtell, Paul Weiss, Irell and Manella (LA), Gibson Dunn (NY), or Williams and Connolly?

Also wondering about PW, GD (ny) and WLRK

CSM, too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:59 pm

PW callback over lunch

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PW callback over lunch


Mm-hmm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PW callback over lunch

Mm-hmm.

What does that mean? That you got a PW CB over lunch as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PW callback over lunch

Mm-hmm.

What does that mean? That you got a PW CB over lunch as well?

initials?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PW callback over lunch

Mm-hmm.

What does that mean? That you got a PW CB over lunch as well?

initials?



Initials please! And office
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273273
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from: Wachtell, Paul Weiss, Irell and Manella (LA), Gibson Dunn (NY), or Williams and Connolly?

Also wondering about PW, GD (ny) and WLRK

CSM, too.

At least some went out on Saturday.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.