CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Kasowitz, Kramer, Stroock or Patterson? Any idea how long these firms usually take to make their callbacks?

As has already been mentioned, Kasowitz has started sending email dings on Friday. I know that last year some of Stroock's CBs came via email within 2 days.

I got a Kasowitz CB friday and know someone else did too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Any idea on whether CA firms seem to be slower at getting back to people? It seems that most of the callbacks are for NY firms right now, but that could very well be the nature of the people on this board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on whether CA firms seem to be slower at getting back to people? It seems that most of the callbacks are for NY firms right now, but that could very well be the nature of the people on this board.

Got a CB from one of Sheppard Mullin's CA offices within hours, but that's just one data point..my other CBs are disproportionately NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on whether CA firms seem to be slower at getting back to people? It seems that most of the callbacks are for NY firms right now, but that could very well be the nature of the people on this board.

Many of the CA interviewers likely went models and bottles in NYC over the weekend and will get around to CB's when they're back in the office on Monday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm

anything today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

any dpw from jb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any dpw from jb?

I believe all DPW callback offers went out early Saturday morning in an automated HR email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any dpw from jb?

I believe all DPW callback offers went out early Saturday morning in an automated HR email.

Yeah my interviewer staid that they had to have all of their evaluations in friday night. Unless some partners dismissed that directive (which would not surprise me) all of the cbs should be out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 pm

anyone else here interview w/ susman? heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Does anyone know whether grades are still in question during the callback stage? Is it fair to assume that if a firm thought my grades were too low they would just not give me a callback?

I ask because I seem to be out-performing my grades in terms of the callbacks I've been getting and am wondering whether I still have less of a chance of converting these callbacks into offers than someone with higher grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 pm

anyone heard from Williams and Connolly or Wachtell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I have 0 callbacks and 0 dings. I'm starting to freak out. Anyone else in the same boat?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 pm

^
what are your stats?

lots of people have 0 dings, but i think most have at least one CB....good luck!

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether grades are still in question during the callback stage? Is it fair to assume that if a firm thought my grades were too low they would just not give me a callback?

I ask because I seem to be out-performing my grades in terms of the callbacks I've been getting and am wondering whether I still have less of a chance of converting these callbacks into offers than someone with higher grades.

There was a discussion about this above. The consensus (which I think is right) is that they are still a factor, though probably significantly less so in most cases than at the screener stage.

Getting a callback indicates your grades meet the official or unofficial acceptability threshold that a firm has for hiring people. It does not mean they're a non-factor though. If, for example, a lot of people do really well on callbacks (in terms of the interviews), but a firm is only looking to hire half of them, I wouldn't be surprised if grades are one of the differentiating factors. The way the hiring process works at most firms is the hiring committee will look at your resume, grades, and evaluations from each of your interviewers then make a decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^
what are your stats?

lots of people have 0 dings, but i think most have at least one CB....good luck!

I'm a stone scholar. All my interviews seemed to go really well. All lasted overtime. Doesn't add up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 0 callbacks and 0 dings. I'm starting to freak out. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm high Stone, and I have zero callbacks from my V10 interviews. I'm an average interviewer, and I can't imagine what I might have said to make me strike out at those firms.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:
what are your stats?

I'm a stone scholar. All my interviews seemed to go really well. All lasted overtime. Doesn't add up!

Maybe it's just that your firms are slow. How many interviews did you have so far? With NY firms, CA or what?

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 0 callbacks and 0 dings. I'm starting to freak out. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm high Stone, and I have zero callbacks from my V10 interviews. I'm an average interviewer, and I can't imagine what I might have said to make me strike out at those firms.

What's "high stone?" and what firms? is it just one v10 or ten?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
what are your stats?

Maybe it's just that your firms are slow. How many interviews did you have so far? With NY firms, CA or what?

Maybe, that's what I'm hoping. I've had 12 so far with firms all across the board and all in NYC. v10, v50, and v100. Some firms have already given out callbacks (DPW, Kasowitz, etc.). I'm hoping Monday brings some good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
what are your stats?

Maybe, that's what I'm hoping. I've had 12 so far with firms all across the board and all in NYC. v10, v50, and v100. Some firms have already given out callbacks (DPW, Kasowitz, etc.). I'm hoping Monday brings some good news.

I hope you have a lot more interviews. If not, get there early and sign up!! Either way, good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:08 pm

anyone hear from any chicago firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether grades are still in question during the callback stage? Is it fair to assume that if a firm thought my grades were too low they would just not give me a callback?

I would posit that grades are almost certainly in play with the exception of S&C which had nearly 100% offers to those it called back last year. Other firms extend offers to approximately 50% of those they call back (obviously the 50% figure is approximate). Presumably, grades would continue to be a factor... If you got a callback, it merely means that (1) you meet the grade cut-off (e.g. your grades do not make it impossible for you to get an offer) and (2) the interviewer who screened you thought you were a viable candidate based on personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I would posit that grades are almost certainly in play with the exception of S&C which had nearly 100% offers to those it called back last year. Other firms extend offers to approximately 50% of those they call back (obviously the 50% figure is approximate). Presumably, grades would continue to be a factor... If you got a callback, it merely means that (1) you meet the grade cut-off (e.g. your grades do not make it impossible for you to get an offer) and (2) the interviewer who screened you thought you were a viable candidate based on personality.

So for firms which have offered around 50% or less to Stones, would median grades hold me back at the CB stage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:51 pm

How far apart should we space callbacks? one a day, place a day or two between them? Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How far apart should we space callbacks? one a day, place a day or two between them? Any thoughts?

Unless you really think you'll be too tired - as soon as possible, even if they are day after day. Some people even have 2 on the same day.

Return to “Legal Employment”