CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how are below median people doing?


not too well, from what i can tell. spoke to someone who didn't have anything as of late friday, and a few other people who only had one. these people aren't below median by much either (if median actually is what i've seen people say it is on these forums), so i have no idea how people sub-3.2 are doing....also probably not spectacular without WE/URM.


Have to agree -- I think I'm about median (equivalent of 4 B+'s and the rest Bs). I have many of the "soft factors" that should be helpful, but only have one cb. I may not be indicative though because I'm starting to feel like it's just me and not my grades since so many above posters are not Stones and have way more cbs.


what do you think could be hurting you? as someone who's pretty much in the same position, i'm trying to figure out how i could be messing up so badly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how are below median people doing?


not too well, from what i can tell. spoke to someone who didn't have anything as of late friday, and a few other people who only had one. these people aren't below median by much either (if median actually is what i've seen people say it is on these forums), so i have no idea how people sub-3.2 are doing....also probably not spectacular without WE/URM.


Have to agree -- I think I'm about median (equivalent of 4 B+'s and the rest Bs). I have many of the "soft factors" that should be helpful, but only have one cb. I may not be indicative though because I'm starting to feel like it's just me and not my grades since so many above posters are not Stones and have way more cbs.


what do you think could be hurting you? as someone who's pretty much in the same position, i'm trying to figure out how i could be messing up so badly.


No idea...I can't believe that it's really just the grades because when I spoke to Career Services they told me that some of my other factors should make up for the grades. Maybe my particular interviewers value grades more b/c they did well academically? I think I just haven't been able to connect to them. From experiences interviewing before this summer, I've gotten cbs when we discover some serendipitous connection. My grades have never been stellar but I've gotten by this far in life, so it's quite frustrating.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how are below median people doing?


not too well, from what i can tell. spoke to someone who didn't have anything as of late friday, and a few other people who only had one. these people aren't below median by much either (if median actually is what i've seen people say it is on these forums), so i have no idea how people sub-3.2 are doing....also probably not spectacular without WE/URM.


Just FYI... I'm below median and objectively not doing so well right now, BUT I've found that most of the firms I've interviewed with so far have not given out callbacks yet. Most of this thread is focused on V10s or V50s, while I tried to stick with a much more conservative bid list. There's only one firm mentioned so far on here as giving callbacks that I've actually interviewed with, and I did manage to snag a callback from that firm. So no sense in losing hope yet!

Best of luck to everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious as to how many Thursday interviews ppl with 4+ CBs had. I think it's interesting that people are talking straight numbers rather than proportions. I felt bad until I realized most ppl I knew had twice as many interviews as me on Thursday.

Anyone know if CG ever dings with emails?

They did last year (this is Cleary, right?).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just FYI... I'm below median and objectively not doing so well right now, BUT I've found that most of the firms I've interviewed with so far have not given out callbacks yet. Most of this thread is focused on V10s or V50s, while I tried to stick with a much more conservative bid list. There's only one firm mentioned so far on here as giving callbacks that I've actually interviewed with, and I did manage to snag a callback from that firm. So no sense in losing hope yet!

Best of luck to everyone.


this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just FYI... I'm below median and objectively not doing so well right now, BUT I've found that most of the firms I've interviewed with so far have not given out callbacks yet. Most of this thread is focused on V10s or V50s, while I tried to stick with a much more conservative bid list. There's only one firm mentioned so far on here as giving callbacks that I've actually interviewed with, and I did manage to snag a callback from that firm. So no sense in losing hope yet!

Best of luck to everyone.


this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...

Kasowitz has already sent some email dings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 am

Anyone else with Milbank cb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...


i should add that there are some that i know have given CBs as well....milbank, chadbourne, and latham....but you win some and you lose some

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 am

To put our lives in perspective, the Times today has a well reported feature on the recent shooting in Morningside Park:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyreg ... ml?_r=1&hp

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...


i should add that there are some that i know have given CBs as well....milbank, chadbourne, and latham....but you win some and you lose some


i got a CB from kasowitz (NY) on friday morning and i know people who've gotten CBs from king & spalding (DC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...


i should add that there are some that i know have given CBs as well....milbank, chadbourne, and latham....but you win some and you lose some


i got a CB from kasowitz (NY) on friday morning and i know people who've gotten CBs from king & spalding (DC)


how bad are your prospects if some interviewers from a firm gave CBs, but you haven't heard anything about your particular interviewer giving CBs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this is an important point. i'm at median with only two, but, as far as i know, a lot of the firms i interviewed with haven't given any CBs yet....reed smith, MWE, king&spalding, kilpatrick, fried frank, kasowitz...


i should add that there are some that i know have given CBs as well....milbank, chadbourne, and latham....but you win some and you lose some


i got a CB from kasowitz (NY) on friday morning and i know people who've gotten CBs from king & spalding (DC)


how bad are your prospects if some interviewers from a firm gave CBs, but you haven't heard anything about your particular interviewer giving CBs?

As much anxiety as this causes, there's really just no way of knowing, especially with the weekend in the middle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As much anxiety as this causes, there's really just no way of knowing, especially with the weekend in the middle.
[/quote]

Truth. As hard as it is, we all need to wait it out for a bit. Monday should bring more calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As much anxiety as this causes, there's really just no way of knowing, especially with the weekend in the middle.


Truth. As hard as it is, we all need to wait it out for a bit. Monday should bring more calls.[/quote]


Yeah! halfway through EIP is no time to get demoralized. Go over how your interviews last week went, figure out how to improve and head into the next two days with your heads up. What points did you want to get across to your interviews that you may not have? What did you say that got the most favorable responses from your interviewers? Figure those things out and then weave them into every conversation that you have next week.

Also, IMO if your grades/resume are stellar then you are being screened for likeability. So less focus on the resume (if the interviewer want to talk about his/her kids the whole time) is probably OK.

If your grades are less than stellar, you have to show that you are likeable and that you are talented. This is obviously a tougher challenge. So talking about football for twenty minutes is probably less likely to get you a CB. You will pass the likability test, but might not get across that you are talented/capable. These interviews need to be more directed at your skills/resume. Again, all IMO.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As much anxiety as this causes, there's really just no way of knowing, especially with the weekend in the middle.


Truth. As hard as it is, we all need to wait it out for a bit. Monday should bring more calls.


i'm the anon poster who asked the question about firms one interviewed with, but not one's actual interviewer, giving CB's. for my and everyone else's sake who isn't swimming in CB's right now i hope this is true, but am i the only one who feels like thursday firms are more or less out for those who didn't get called back? friday is more up in the air, since most interviewers probably have other things to do than make calls on the weekend, but i'm starting to feel like enough people got responses from thursday that the ones who didn't hear back are the ones firms are passing on. sorry to be so pessimistic, but EIP is starting to get to me!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Did anyone check the add board at the end of the day Friday for Monday availability? I'm wondering only about some NY firms, like Hogan Lovells, Akin, Ropes & Gray, Paul Hastings, Cahill - anyone know if any of these had availability?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from mayer brown (chicago) or foley hoag (boston) or susman (NY)?


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As much anxiety as this causes, there's really just no way of knowing, especially with the weekend in the middle.


Truth. As hard as it is, we all need to wait it out for a bit. Monday should bring more calls.


i'm the anon poster who asked the question about firms one interviewed with, but not one's actual interviewer, giving CB's. for my and everyone else's sake who isn't swimming in CB's right now i hope this is true, but am i the only one who feels like thursday firms are more or less out for those who didn't get called back? friday is more up in the air, since most interviewers probably have other things to do than make calls on the weekend, but i'm starting to feel like enough people got responses from thursday that the ones who didn't hear back are the ones firms are passing on. sorry to be so pessimistic, but EIP is starting to get to me!



Don't fret. EIP is only halfway over. You still have two more days to interview. I think it is ridiculous to think that if you do not have a CB from a Thursday firm, you will not get one. Some partners will be slower. There is a limit to how many calls can be made within a certain period. Some interviews may have to campaign for their interviewees who do not have stellar paper creds. Give it a week before writing a firm off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Don't fret. EIP is only halfway over. You still have two more days to interview. I think it is ridiculous to think that if you do not have a CB from a Thursday firm, you will not get one. Some partners will be slower. There is a limit to how many calls can be made within a certain period. Some interviews may have to campaign for their interviewees who do not have stellar paper creds. Give it a week before writing a firm off.



Is this true? I was disappointed that some of my interviewers made calls and I didn't get a callback. Is it possible to get callbacks from the partner who already called others?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 pm

I wouldn't start freaking out just yet -sometimes the timing is just screwy and people get calls earlier or later. Last year at this point I had 1 CB, and ended up with 9 by the end of EIP, including several from thursday/friday interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I wouldn't start freaking out just yet -sometimes the timing is just screwy and people get calls earlier or later. Last year at this point I had 1 CB, and ended up with 9 by the end of EIP, including several from thursday/friday interviews.


thank you chuckbass. :) even though i know i have no chance of 9 cb's, it's still good to hear there is hope for even those of us with 1 cb from someone who has actually gone thru the process.

also, was last year's scheduled similarly, or was it four consecutive days with no weekend break? that might make the timing different between last year's and this year's.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:I wouldn't start freaking out just yet -sometimes the timing is just screwy and people get calls earlier or later. Last year at this point I had 1 CB, and ended up with 9 by the end of EIP, including several from thursday/friday interviews.

also, was last year's scheduled similarly, or was it four consecutive days with no weekend break? that might make the timing different between last year's and this year's.

Last year's was similar, but the first two days were Wed/Thurs, with a break on Fri-Sun, and then two days on Mon-Tues.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Kasowitz, Kramer, Stroock or Patterson? Any idea how long these firms usually take to make their callbacks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Kasowitz, Kramer, Stroock or Patterson? Any idea how long these firms usually take to make their callbacks?

As has already been mentioned, Kasowitz has started sending email dings on Friday. I know that last year some of Stroock's CBs came via email within 2 days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Does anyone know if there's a hold pool for people whose interviewers have already called others, or does that almost surely mean you have been rejected?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.