CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Just to appease my curiosity, can someone please just explain what the deal is with the Gibson Dunn dinner? I assume not knowing about it is indicative of my performance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to appease my curiosity, can someone please just explain what the deal is with the Gibson Dunn dinner? I assume not knowing about it is indicative of my performance.

So, no dinner invite = no CB for GDC NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this is the blind leading the blind, but how many callbacks do you guys think is "normal"/average at this point?

2-5 for interquartile range. 3-4 for medianish range?

These are just guesses based on what I've been hearing. Really depends on how aggressively you bid and what markets though.

Wonder how badly I f*ed up the bidding. Only have 1 cb and in the median range. though i also had less than 10 interviews.

Would like to hear more on this front... are people averaging 4 at this point and anything below is batting low?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Are any of the Cravath CBs from Friday? Of course, if anyone is comfortable posting interviewer's initials that would be even more helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the Cravath CBs from Friday? Of course, if anyone is comfortable posting interviewer's initials that would be even more helpful.

Yes, one is from Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just to appease my curiosity, can someone please just explain what the deal is with the Gibson Dunn dinner? I assume not knowing about it is indicative of my performance.

This is clearly a rumor, no one has actually said they've gotten either a dinner invite or a callback from GDC. Rebuttal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is clearly a rumor, no one has actually said they've gotten either a dinner invite or a callback from GDC. Rebuttal?

The only dinner I know of was for California people only. It did, in fact, happen. But I never heard of an NY dinner until this board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the Cravath CBs from Friday? Of course, if anyone is comfortable posting interviewer's initials that would be even more helpful.

Yes, one is from Friday.

Yes mine was also from Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Let's hope so. I think GDC NY may take longer to give CBs. They seem to CB only people they really think will get an offer. Other firms, (looking at you DPW) seem to CB 100+ but then give very few actual offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Let's hope so. I think GDC NY may take longer to give CBs. They seem to CB only people they really think will get an offer. Other firms, (looking at you DPW) seem to CB 100+ but then give very few actual offers.

Last year GDC NY took 2 weeks to give some CBs. So it could be a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I can definitively say there was no CB dinner for GDC NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:46 am

How intense do you all think we should be in these interviews? I hear conflicting things. Some people seem relaxed almost to the point of being aloof, and other people go in like they are ready for battle. What works best?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:How intense do you all think we should be in these interviews? I hear conflicting things. Some people seem relaxed almost to the point of being aloof, and other people go in like they are ready for battle. What works best?

I have 5 cbs so I think I probably have the right approach. I would say its better to be relaxed. Be friendly, approachable, sociable. Laugh, smile, interact. However, when your interviewer asks you one of those "serious" questions (ex: work experience, etc.) you should still reply in an intelligent matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:14 am

anyone hear from mayer brown (chicago) or foley hoag (boston) or susman (NY)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:25 am

what about garvey schubert?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:53 am

I'm curious as to how many Thursday interviews ppl with 4+ CBs had. I think it's interesting that people are talking straight numbers rather than proportions. I felt bad until I realized most ppl I knew had twice as many interviews as me on Thursday.

Anyone know if CG ever dings with emails?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious as to how many Thursday interviews ppl with 4+ CBs had. I think it's interesting that people are talking straight numbers rather than proportions. I felt bad until I realized most ppl I knew had twice as many interviews as me on Thursday.

Anyone know if CG ever dings with emails?

I have 6+ callbacks (from a range of firms including V10s) after 6 interviews on Thursday and 7 on Friday. Non-stone (but close), no LR, no full-time work experience.

Things going for me include good undergrad (HYP), a resume with several prestigious internships that are complementary to the work that biglaw firms do (top finance/consulting, with international experience), and having fairly specific and well thought out practice area interests that make sense given my past experiences. I think I am a good interviewer, but not extraordinary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 am

Regarding proportion:

I had nine interviews on Thursday and had six callbacks from those.

I had four on Friday and only DPW gave me a callback so far.

I wouldn't worry though if callbacks haven't come in yet. Most firms need time to get their recruiting department to sign off on the callbacks (I had one interviewer on Thursday basically promise me a callback, but it hasn't come in because the firm's recruiting department needs to see my transcript, which my interviewer forgot to get from me)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:16 am

Does every firm send a ding email,.or.are.there some.that just don't do anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does every firm send a ding email,.or.are.there some.that just don't do anything?

Pretty sure most firms send rejection letters by snail mail, not by email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 am

how are below median people doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
Does every firm send a ding email,.or.are.there some.that just don't do anything?

So if Debevoise told me "you won't hear until the middle of next week" and called others last week, it means she put the letter in the mailbox the minute I walked out the door, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:how are below median people doing?

not too well, from what i can tell. spoke to someone who didn't have anything as of late friday, and a few other people who only had one. these people aren't below median by much either (if median actually is what i've seen people say it is on these forums), so i have no idea how people sub-3.2 are doing....also probably not spectacular without WE/URM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:

So if Debevoise told me "you won't hear until the middle of next week" and called others last week, it means she put the letter in the mailbox the minute I walked out the door, right?

anecdotally heard deb gives cb's quickly after the screener and rejects by email. didn't get a screener with them though, so can't say firsthand. however, if your interviewer hasn't cb'ed other people, maybe she has something time-consuming coming up & knows she'll be too busy until next week to give cb's, and just wanted to give you a heads up.

eta: sorry, read your post quickly & didnt realize the interviewer had already called back other people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how are below median people doing?

not too well, from what i can tell. spoke to someone who didn't have anything as of late friday, and a few other people who only had one. these people aren't below median by much either (if median actually is what i've seen people say it is on these forums), so i have no idea how people sub-3.2 are doing....also probably not spectacular without WE/URM.

Have to agree -- I think I'm about median (equivalent of 4 B+'s and the rest Bs). I have many of the "soft factors" that should be helpful, but only have one cb. I may not be indicative though because I'm starting to feel like it's just me and not my grades since so many above posters are not Stones and have way more cbs.

Return to “Legal Employment”