CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 pm

obviously there are going to be a ton of calls coming on monday and throughout the week. it's way too early to freak out about anything. my own sense is that if you already have callbacks, you're doing just fine.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Guys, calm down. Unless you know that your specific interviewer has made calls/emails, you are still in the running. It's a very small group of firms talked about in this thread many of which (S+C, DPW, CSM, Cleary) are highly selective.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I realize this is the blind leading the blind, but how many callbacks do you guys think is "normal"/average at this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Most of the people I have spoken with have around three. I haven't spoken with anyone who has more than four.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize this is the blind leading the blind, but how many callbacks do you guys think is "normal"/average at this point?

2-5 for interquartile range. 3-4 for medianish range?

These are just guesses based on what I've been hearing. Really depends on how aggressively you bid and what markets though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 pm

just one for me so far (had all NY interviews). wonder how fucked i am. :cry:

also haven't heard of anyone with more than four.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize this is the blind leading the blind, but how many callbacks do you guys think is "normal"/average at this point?

2-5 for interquartile range. 3-4 for medianish range?

These are just guesses based on what I've been hearing. Really depends on how aggressively you bid and what markets though.

Wonder how badly I f*ed up the bidding. Only have 1 cb and in the median range. though i also had less than 10 interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I know several median-ish students who are in the 4 range including v10s

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know several median-ish students who are in the 4 range including v10s

which V10s? think i'm not doing as well as i should

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know several median-ish students who are in the 4 range including v10s

DPW for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just one for me so far (had all NY interviews). wonder how fucked i am. :cry:

I know some people have 6+ at this point

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:39 pm

are the 6+ people stone, kent, or LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you think these people are doing so well? Are they high medianish, law review, great interviewers, work experience, etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just one for me so far (had all NY interviews). wonder how fucked i am. :cry:

I have 7 right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:are the 6+ people stone, kent, or LR?

I'm 3.7 stone LR with 6+ callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Guys, calm down. Unless you know that your specific interviewer has made calls/emails, you are still in the running. It's a very small group of firms talked about in this thread many of which (S+C, DPW, CSM, Cleary) are highly selective.

I can confirm that Cravath, S&C, Davis Polk, Cleary, and Debevoise have given callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

non-stone with 7+, including several v10s. non-ip and non-minority (at least not one that would give me any sort of edge). keep at it guys, if you dont have a lot of cbs make sure to add a few interviews in the mornings. the program is only half over and in the end you only need 1 offer, so never, ever give up. even if you are discouraged--leave it at the door. an interviewer can pick up quickly on your level of confidence and enthusiasm and it does make a difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:non-stone with 7+, including several v10s. non-ip and non-minority (at least not one that would give me any sort of edge). keep at it guys, if you dont have a lot of cbs make sure to add a few interviews in the mornings. the program is only half over and in the end you only need 1 offer, so never, ever give up. even if you are discouraged--leave it at the door. an interviewer can pick up quickly on your level of confidence and enthusiasm and it does make a difference.

Do you really think it's your confidence and enthusiasm or the substance of your answers? What do you think has helped you do well? E.g., interesting work experience, a sense of humor, knowing a lot about what makes the firm the right fit for you, trying to make a personal connection to each interviewer? Do you talk mainly about law or non-law during the interview?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:non-stone with 7+, including several v10s. non-ip and non-minority (at least not one that would give me any sort of edge). keep at it guys, if you dont have a lot of cbs make sure to add a few interviews in the mornings. the program is only half over and in the end you only need 1 offer, so never, ever give up. even if you are discouraged--leave it at the door. an interviewer can pick up quickly on your level of confidence and enthusiasm and it does make a difference.

Do you really think it's your confidence and enthusiasm or the substance of your answers? What do you think has helped you do well? E.g., interesting work experience, a sense of humor, knowing a lot about what makes the firm the right fit for you, trying to make a personal connection to each interviewer? Do you talk mainly about law or non-law during the interview?

Thanks!

i mostly talk about work experience/law school/their firm. ive heard of people that talk about football or baseball for 15 minutes and get a cb, but i think that is the exception rather than the norm. i love sports but im not a major fan of any particular team, so i dont get myself sucked into those types of subjects. dont ever venture out of your comfort zone--that is my strongest piece of advice. i always have a grasp on the interviews where i perform well. i dont dive into more detail than i need to on any topic where i am not comfortable expanding upon, and i know my resume cold. i did mock interviews with a few attorneys before EIP and figured out what on my resume pops out for litigators and what pops out for non-adversarial attorneys, and i made sure i could talk intelligently and in depth on those parts.

also, ask questions throughout the interview. dont be afraid to interrupt them if they say something immediately interesting to you (obviously dont talk over them, but seize the next lull in the conversation and make yourself heard). its a two-way conversation, neither party should dominate the interview. pay attention to the things they say and find ways you can relate your past experiences to what they are talking about.

finally, relax. dont clench your fists (no one wants to shake a sweaty palm at the end) and dont slouch on the sofa. maintain eye contact, and SMILE. dont laugh at everything they say but show them you have a personality. be polite but be willing to crack an (appropriate) joke when the occasion arises.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

i mostly talk about work experience/law school/their firm. ive heard of people that talk about football or baseball for 15 minutes and get a cb, but i think that is the exception rather than the norm. i love sports but im not a major fan of any particular team, so i dont get myself sucked into those types of subjects. dont ever venture out of your comfort zone--that is my strongest piece of advice. i always have a grasp on the interviews where i perform well. i dont dive into more detail than i need to on any topic where i am not comfortable expanding upon, and i know my resume cold. i did mock interviews with a few attorneys before EIP and figured out what on my resume pops out for litigators and what pops out for non-adversarial attorneys, and i made sure i could talk intelligently and in depth on those parts.

also, ask questions throughout the interview. dont be afraid to interrupt them if they say something immediately interesting to you (obviously dont talk over them, but seize the next lull in the conversation and make yourself heard). its a two-way conversation, neither party should dominate the interview. pay attention to the things they say and find ways you can relate your past experiences to what they are talking about.

finally, relax. dont clench your fists (no one wants to shake a sweaty palm at the end) and dont slouch on the sofa. maintain eye contact, and SMILE. dont laugh at everything they say but show them you have a personality. be polite but be willing to crack an (appropriate) joke when the occasion arises.

I am Stone but no WE, and I've had good success doing almost the exact same thing as the above anon. At most 50% non-law topics. I know people say the opposite, but I let the interviewer guide the conversation, and if they want to talk about law / law school / my legal internship, I go with it.

And honestly, I enjoy the interviews. I like meeting people and chatting with them, and I think that's conveyed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Boies CB initials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

Depends on the interview. I have 5 CB currently. Have gotten CB on interviews where we talked 15 minutes about the weather, and another where I felt the need to talk about my hatred of certain bugs (wtf me?). I have not gotten a single callback on those interviews where I just answered the questions and then let them come up with a new one. Whatever the topic, the good interviews are the ones where the conversation keeps moving and nobody is ill-at-ease.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 pm

folks just need to chill and have fun during the interviews

thats what makes a great interview.....when you are engaged and interested in the conversation

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:59 pm

anyone heard from Wachtell or Williams and Connolly?

I just want to know when I should begin to lose hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you for posting, you're awesome and this is very helpful. Also, for people who are struggling remember that this isn't the end of the process. Get out and hustle outside of EIP if you need to. You go to Columbia, you're smart, and you should be a lawyer in a good firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”