CLS EIP 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had 15 interviews thursday and friday, only 1 CB so far... should i be worried?

I'm in the same boat as you, and it's a really bad feeling. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and have no way of finding out, since it's not like we get any feedback from interviewers or reasons why we were dinged. My practice interviewer told me I was generally a good interviewer, & I have been careful to correct the things he told me to fix. I have medianish grades, which I know is hurting me, but they're not so offensively bad that ~15 firms would ding me on the basis of my transcript alone. I've also heard of people getting callbacks from firms that I interviewed at and didn't hear from.

Anyway, to whoever made this post- we are not the only ones in this situation. I know a few people who also only have 1-2 cb's after interviewing with a lot of firms Thurs/Fri. It's probably the case that not all interviewers can move as fast as the ones who have called people back the same day or the day after. If it's a week or two after EIP & I'm in the same situation, I'll start getting really worried & speak to Career Services (and weigh my non-biglaw options), but until then I'm just trying to sit tight and not freak out.

Good luck to all, and especially to those who haven't been doing as well as they would like in terms of callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what was the deal with the gibsonny dinner? cb guaranteed?

Was there a Gibson NY dinner? I thought only LA did a dinner but NY and DC didn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what was the deal with the gibsonny dinner? cb guaranteed?

Was there a Gibson NY dinner? I thought only LA did a dinner but NY and DC didn't.

maybe? i obv. wasnt at it so i was just seeing what the deal was wrt rumors, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered - what's the etiquette for if you get a cb in a voicemail by the partner interviewer which tells you to email HR to schedule something? Should we also call the partner back or email or anything to let him know we got the message?

asked the same question of career services- call the partner (or associate) back to thank them after scheduling your cb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 pm

did anyone hear from Dechert PD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone hear from Dechert PD?

or dechert NY (BM)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered - what's the etiquette for if you get a cb in a voicemail by the partner interviewer which tells you to email HR to schedule something? Should we also call the partner back or email or anything to let him know we got the message?

asked the same question of career services- call the partner (or associate) back to thank them after scheduling your cb.

like most advice from cls ocs, this seems silly. do you really think it's a good idea to interrupt a busy biglaw partner with a phone call for this type of thing? this seems like an appropriate time for an e-mailed thank you note.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:23 pm

I haven't heard from the Dechert Philly office yet... has anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

have never heard call... to me that is pretty intrusive and email is superior

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

like most advice from cls ocs, this seems silly. do you really think it's a good idea to interrupt a busy biglaw partner with a phone call for this type of thing? this seems like an appropriate time for an e-mailed thank you note.

i actually agree with career services on this one (although their advice is usually pretty silly). it's just a very quick phone call, 1-2 min, and (i might be stereotyping here) i feel like people from the partners' generation appreciate the courtesy of a phone call as opposed to a quick email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard from the Dechert Philly office yet... has anyone else?

Yes, voicemail yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

or dechert NY (BM)?

any dechert interviewers other than JK?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i actually agree with career services on this one (although their advice is usually pretty silly). it's just a very quick phone call, 1-2 min, and (i might be stereotyping here) i feel like people from the partners' generation appreciate the courtesy of a phone call as opposed to a quick email.

Well, I worked in a corporate environment prior to law school, and I know my bosses did not like being called. They actually didn't even love receiving emails. Given that many partners said they resented deleting thank you emails prior to CBs, do you think they'd appreciate getting a call? What if you get their voicemail? Then it's even more awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Is the consensus that Dewey is done calling back for everyone?

Also, based on CBs, what are people's feelings regarding whether attending a hospitality suite mattered?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard from the Dechert Philly office yet... has anyone else?

Yes, voicemail yesterday.

interviewer(s) initials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, I worked in a corporate environment prior to law school, and I know my bosses did not like being called. They actually didn't even love receiving emails. Given that many partners said they resented deleting thank you emails prior to CBs, do you think they'd appreciate getting a call? What if you get their voicemail? Then it's even more awkward.

seriously.

If you got interrupted by 5-10 2 minute phone calls by dipshit law students while you could be billing 500+/hr would you be that happy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

or dechert NY (BM)?

any dechert interviewers other than JK?

PD today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, I worked in a corporate environment prior to law school, and I know my bosses did not like being called. They actually didn't even love receiving emails. Given that many partners said they resented deleting thank you emails prior to CBs, do you think they'd appreciate getting a call? What if you get their voicemail? Then it's even more awkward.

my corporate work experience was actually the opposite...my bosses (who were extremely busy people) actually preferred calling me or stopping by my office to explain an assignment or check my progress instead of sending emails. i guess my own gut feeling is that if i called someone and left a message offering them a cb, i would want some sort of acknowledgment in return. i'd feel rude just calling the recruiter and ignoring the person who actually gave me the cb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

did anyone hear from linklaters?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 pm

your interviewer called other people but not you = ding?
Someone mentioned a hold pool for people who didn't get callbacks. Do firms keep a hold pool for callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:had 15 interviews thursday and friday, only 1 CB so far... should i be worried?

No. Only a few firms are calling, so 1 CB is nothing to worry about. Plus, in the end you only need one job offer.

OK I disagree. If you have grades that are median or below, this could signal that many firms have a grade cutoff lower than Stone. In general, you may also be doing something systematically wrong. I have more CBs than that and am still concerned I am not doing something right. Also depends on whether you know you got rejected (see list of firms who've already CBed) or whether the firms you interviewed with are just slow to get back.

haven't been rejected by anyone yet (checking email constantly), but i'm a transfer so grades probably aren't an issue.
eta - haven't heard one way or another from cleary, DPW, MBT, among others. felt like most interviews went reasonably well.

FYI, 90% of rejections come by snail mail. I think the only one I received by e-mail at my OCI last year was from Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 pm

clifford dinged me via email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:15 pm

correct me if i'm wrong but the gibson dunn dinner was cancelled

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:your interviewer called other people but not you = ding?
Someone mentioned a hold pool for people who didn't get callbacks. Do firms keep a hold pool for callbacks?

I'm assuming that I was rejected for the former situation. I'm really not holding out for a "hold" pool...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 pm

dechert NY CB! interviewer MS

eta: i thought dechert has passed on me because i saw that other people got CBs last night, but obviously that was wrong, so i don't think you should lose hope quite yet just because other people have gotten CBs from the same office

Return to “Legal Employment”