CLS EIP 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timbs4339

Gold

Re: CLS EIP 2011

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh public interest? c/o 2011 not only got like 40 percent reduction in biglaw hiring but we were subjected to budget and hiring freezes by the government.
What % of the class do you think graduated jobless or working temp/part-time?

Did the school fund internships or jobs for students?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Maybe take classes full of llms to boost the transcript. I just missed kent the last two years doing this.
which classes have a lot of llms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Take the harvey miller bk class. That's the easiest a at cls. The corporate classes and berman's arbitration class are tons of llms (not coffee's second reg, he has his own low curve). They also take the good teachers like ras for tax and schectman for evidence.

If I can recommen one class, it would be secured transactions with mann. Cool dude and it was clutch for the bar.

I know a lot of people with the fake fellowship.

You guys need to do whatever you can to not be staring down the barrel of the 6 month, 25k compliance fellowship.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take the harvey miller bk class. That's the easiest a at cls. The corporate classes and berman's arbitration class are tons of llms (not coffee's second reg, he has his own low curve). They also take the good teachers like ras for tax and schectman for evidence.

If I can recommen one class, it would be secured transactions with mann. Cool dude and it was clutch for the bar.

I know a lot of people with the fake fellowship.

You guys need to do whatever you can to not be staring down the barrel of the 6 month, 25k compliance fellowship.
Can you describe this fellowship? We've been given no information on it whatsoever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm

You won't get any info until like april. First, there will be a gathering of 3ls without a job. Singularly the best depressing thing in the world. There will be pizza. Then before exams in the spring, you'll get emails. You will be sent on interviews at like goldman, jp morgan etc. For 6 month fellowships sponsored by cls. You won't actually meet a lawyer because the job doesn't require a jd. And then you will take the bar and drink 9 beers before 5 like me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

cosmopolitan wrote:I'm at NYU and we're moving to the Doubletree for EIW. Any logistical insight you guys have to offer?
Bump...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You won't get any info until like april. First, there will be a gathering of 3ls without a job. Singularly the best depressing thing in the world. There will be pizza. Then before exams in the spring, you'll get emails. You will be sent on interviews at like goldman, jp morgan etc. For 6 month fellowships sponsored by cls. You won't actually meet a lawyer because the job doesn't require a jd. And then you will take the bar and drink 9 beers before 5 like me.
How many of your classmates took the fellowship?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:11 pm

cosmopolitan wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:I'm at NYU and we're moving to the Doubletree for EIW. Any logistical insight you guys have to offer?
Bump...
Watch what you say in the halls/elevators. You will end up riding the elevators a lot with the interviewers. Anyone in the elevator could be a lawyer/interviewer.

Lines can get pretty long for the free lunch.

The Hospitality Suites are very small, so go early in the morning or at the end of the day for the bigger firms.

There are often three different chair choices in the interview room, a couch, a chair, and a "coaster" chair I think it is called. You really sink into the coaster chair so if you're a tall guy it can look very awkward. Try to pick the regular chair, it seems to be the most stable. Most interviewers will sit on the couch.

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:33 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:
Bump...
Watch what you say in the halls/elevators. You will end up riding the elevators a lot with the interviewers. Anyone in the elevator could be a lawyer/interviewer.

The Hospitality Suites are very small, so go early in the morning or at the end of the day for the bigger firms.

There are often three different chair choices in the interview room, a couch, a chair, and a "coaster" chair I think it is called. You really sink into the coaster chair so if you're a tall guy it can look very awkward. Try to pick the regular chair, it seems to be the most stable. Most interviewers will sit on the couch.
This is awesome. Where is lunch?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm

cosmopolitan wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:
Bump...

This is awesome. Where is lunch?
CLS sets up on the fifth floor I think. NYU will probably do the same. There's a big conference room where people sit while they are waiting (they have chairs and tables so you can bring laptops or even play cards. Then a smaller one where they have the lunch set up buffet style. The food is actually pretty good but everyone is afraid of spilling it on themselves so they eat like birds.

There are also free sodas and waters available all day.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Take the stairs if your next interview is less than 4-5 floors away. The elevators take forever. In the same vein, don't count on going back to the lobby between interviews unless you have a pretty big break, and leave the lobby early to avoid the rush of people getting to their interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

How do you add interviews on symplicity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Do people ever bring a bag with an extra shirt/shoes/whatever in case of disaster? Can we change, primp, and/or leave a larger tote bag if we bring one in the hospitality suites or somewhere else comfortable?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

i'm assuming it's kind of a mad rush to add interviews at noon tomorrow, so is it better to allocate the time to adding firms that were underbid or to trying to add firms that were not underbid but that you hope some other people dropped? how likely is one to be able to add an interview with a firm that was not underbid?

i don't want to waste my time trying to add interviews with firms i really want but weren't underbid if i'm really unlikely to be able to get those interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people ever bring a bag with an extra shirt/shoes/whatever in case of disaster? Can we change, primp, and/or leave a larger tote bag if we bring one in the hospitality suites or somewhere else comfortable?
There's a free coat / bag check on the 5th (?) floor, where people generally hang out between interviews (btw employers can't get in there). I wouldn't bring anything into the hospitality suites - just walk around with that black portfolio everyone and their mom has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i'm assuming it's kind of a mad rush to add interviews at noon tomorrow, so is it better to allocate the time to adding firms that were underbid or to trying to add firms that were not underbid but that you hope some other people dropped? how likely is one to be able to add an interview with a firm that was not underbid?

i don't want to waste my time trying to add interviews with firms i really want but weren't underbid if i'm really unlikely to be able to get those interviews.
Yes, this is what I'd like to know for tomorrow...

We only get 5 adds, and while I can technically add the underbid firms, those would likely be reaches where I'd have a less good shot. I'd rather wait for the firms I'm most interested in to free up, but I also don't want to miss the opportunity to add underbid ones if those are the only realistic addable firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i'm assuming it's kind of a mad rush to add interviews at noon tomorrow, so is it better to allocate the time to adding firms that were underbid or to trying to add firms that were not underbid but that you hope some other people dropped? how likely is one to be able to add an interview with a firm that was not underbid?

We only get 5 adds, and while I can technically add the underbid firms, those would likely be reaches where I'd have a less good shot. I'd rather wait for the firms I'm most interested in to free up, but I also don't want to miss the opportunity to add underbid ones if those are the only realistic addable firms.
yeah im basically in the exact same pickle. any input from the 3Ls on how likely it actually is for firms to "free up" during EIP? im under the impression that you would get in trouble with career services if u dropped interviews after the "drop period." do people really still cancel the day of EIP?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yeah im basically in the exact same pickle. any input from the 3Ls on how likely it actually is for firms to "free up" during EIP? im under the impression that you would get in trouble with career services if u dropped interviews after the "drop period." do people really still cancel the day of EIP?
Yes, I could have gotten some more interviews during EIP, but that requires spending time downstairs instead of schmoozing other interview suites, and you'll be exhausted (the process is very tiring, which is very surprising at the end of day 1). Also, as important as extra interviews are, and as much as you now want to add more interviews, after one day, you're not going to be very excited at the prospect of spending yet another 20 minutes in a room with a stranger, talking about BS (not to mention prep, etc). Still, if I remember correctly, interviews in niche areas were likely to be open mid-EIP (things like IP, a firm's Hong Kong office, etc).

And what is this 5 add max? I don't remember that from last year.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unlikely that the big NYC firms will free up during EIP. A few secondary market firms may free up.
Anonymous User wrote:

If I recall correctly the "drop" period is over, so you might as well use those 5 slots on the first firms you see that you think you have a good shot at. They gave you the list of firms that would be open, correct?

Warning to all: Make sure none of the firms you add are IP only firms. Add/drop is hectic and you might just click on the first firm with "New York, NY" next to it. It could make for an awkward interview.

And the 5 firm cap is just bullshit. It really screws over median students who have a connection to a secondary market and could have used those extra interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 am

Any thoughts on mass mailing? Only non-OCI firms? Blanket NALP?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on mass mailing? Only non-OCI firms? Blanket NALP?
What are your grades? How many interviews did you get?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on mass mailing? Only non-OCI firms? Blanket NALP?
What are your grades? How many interviews did you get?
Median, and 18. How much does work experience help? At a firm this summer, and solid (applicable) work experience in the pre-law school days.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

i managed to add mcdermott, reed smith, king & spalding, DPW, and duane morris. i realized, however, that this means i have seven interviews on both the first and second day. is seven way too many in a day, especially two days in a row?

chinny123

New

Post by chinny123 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i managed to add mcdermott, reed smith, king & spalding, DPW, and duane morris. i realized, however, that this means i have seven interviews on both the first and second day. is seven way too many in a day, especially two days in a row?
I have 9 on the last day...apparently I am a glutton for punishment

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i managed to add mcdermott, reed smith, king & spalding, DPW, and duane morris. i realized, however, that this means i have seven interviews on both the first and second day. is seven way too many in a day, especially two days in a row?
FWIW: Two of my callbacks came on days when I had nine interviews and both were the last firm of the day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”