Does 1L Summer Location Matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SilverE2

Does 1L Summer Location Matter?

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 am

I'm starting law school in a few weeks. This past spring/summer, February through June, I worked as an office assistant for a midlaw firm (3 offices, about 80 attorneys). Before leaving one of the partners told me that I was more than welcome to come back next summer and work for them. It would be paid, but not a lot, I think 10-12 an hour, but I would be able to live at my parent's house and save money.

I'm going to try to swing the grades for biglaw in NYC, and this firm is not in NYC. I know having a paying internship 1L summer lined up is more than many can ask for, but does it matter where I work my first summer, or is the experience more important?

DallasCowboy

Re: Does 1L Summer Location Matter?

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 am

Ties don't matter for NYC. It sounds like you are in a good spot.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 am

DallasCowboy wrote:Ties don't matter for NYC. It sounds like you are in a good spot.

Thanks! Straight to the point.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 am

Along the same lines... I plan to seek employment either in TX or CO (for SO reasons). I'm not from either of these places and may have a somewhat difficult time convincing firms of ties there for 2L - though my SO may be moving there by then, who knows. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should look for a 1L summer job (firm or otherwise) in either of these places, or would I be okay working elsewhere (e.g. my midwest home market).

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:59 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Along the same lines... I plan to seek employment either in TX or CO (for SO reasons). I'm not from either of these places and may have a somewhat difficult time convincing firms of ties there for 2L - though my SO may be moving there by then, who knows. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should look for a 1L summer job (firm or otherwise) in either of these places, or would I be okay working elsewhere (e.g. my midwest home market).

You'd probably have a easier time convincing them if you've been in the market for work before at least for Texas.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm

merc280 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Along the same lines... I plan to seek employment either in TX or CO (for SO reasons). I'm not from either of these places and may have a somewhat difficult time convincing firms of ties there for 2L - though my SO may be moving there by then, who knows. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should look for a 1L summer job (firm or otherwise) in either of these places, or would I be okay working elsewhere (e.g. my midwest home market).

You'd probably have a easier time convincing them if you've been in the market for work before at least for Texas.

How would an internship during UG look?

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:33 pm

The question you need to ask them is if you are welcome back as an office assistant or if they will be giving you real legal work.

As far as location, it only matters if you are going to need it to establish credibility with the location you want to end up in.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Does it matter for secondary markets: yes
Does it matter for NYC: not really
Now that you have an offer are you better off focusing on school and not spending time that you could be studying looking for an NYC offer: almost certainly.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm

lawgod wrote:The question you need to ask them is if you are welcome back as an office assistant or if they will be giving you real legal work.

As far as location, it only matters if you are going to need it to establish credibility with the location you want to end up in.

They know I'm going to law school. They offered me a summer internship position.

Return to “Legal Employment”