Working for a small firm on a trial basis? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shirley924

New

Working for a small firm on a trial basis?

Post by shirley924 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 am

Graduated from a top law school with a mediocre GPA. A small firm (about 10 attorneys) in Atlanta recently offered me an entry level associate job with an incredibly low salary that I am so ashamed to even post it on here. I was fine with the salary itself because their practice seems to be appealing. However, I was just informed that the employment would be on a trial basis for about 2 months and there is even no employment contract for me to sign, which according to them means there is no benefit other than very basic health insurance. Is this normal for a small law firm? Or am I being ripped off?

tww909

Bronze

Re: Working for a small firm on a trial basis?

Post by tww909 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:47 am

firm employment is almost always at will in my understanding. that said the fact that they came out and said the two month thing suggests even less security in practice than most places.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:08 pm

I think it is reasonable/normal for a small firm to not offer benefits, or at least not full benefits, during an initial period of employment. Assuming you get "full benefits" (or whatever other employees get, which I assume from your post is more than "very basic health insurance") if you stay at the firm more than two months, I think you are not getting "ripped off."

If you are not happy with the situation after two months, you are free to leave.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:14 pm

shirley924 wrote:Graduated from a top law school with a mediocre GPA. A small firm (about 10 attorneys) in Atlanta recently offered me an entry level associate job with an incredibly low salary that I am so ashamed to even post it on here. I was fine with the salary itself because their practice seems to be appealing. However, I was just informed that the employment would be on a trial basis for about 2 months and there is even no employment contract for me to sign, which according to them means there is no benefit other than very basic health insurance. Is this normal for a small law firm? Or am I being ripped off?
Can you give us some idea of sallary range? Those of us considering small firms would be very appreciative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”