GPA Rounding Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: GPA Rounding

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

loomstate wrote:OK to round a 3.99 up to a 4.0? I am specifically interested in the character and fitness section of the bar.
:roll:

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

serious question...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Personally, I wouldn't. (But I'm responding mostly to post the story of seeing someone list their class rank as "top 4.5%." Really, dude? You couldn't bear to just put yourself in the top 5%? THAT was someone who needed to round.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Personally, I wouldn't. (But I'm responding mostly to post the story of seeing someone list their class rank as "top 4.5%." Really, dude? You couldn't bear to just put yourself in the top 5%? THAT was someone who needed to round.)
and in an effort to make your post somewhat relevant to loomstate's, did this person have issues with the C & F of the bar?

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Personally, I wouldn't. (But I'm responding mostly to post the story of seeing someone list their class rank as "top 4.5%." Really, dude? You couldn't bear to just put yourself in the top 5%? THAT was someone who needed to round.)
Your personal anecdote isn't necessarily analogous - I want to write 4.0 in a statement mainly because 3.99 undermines my tone and rhythm. writing 4.5 instead of 5 is silly, i agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 pm

loomstate wrote:OK to round a 3.99 up to a 4.0? I am specifically interested in the character and fitness section of the bar.
No. Writing 4.0 generally means you never got less than an A, while 3.99 is almost perfect but not quite. You can't list a perfect GPA if you didn't get perfect grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
and in an effort to make your post somewhat relevant to loomstate's, did this person have issues with the C & F of the bar?
ha, sorry, it's not that relevant. And no, I don't think they had problems with c&f - this was someone submitting a paper to the LR, so they were a prof or something - probably admitted somewhere but I don't know.

also, no, it's not the same as putting 4.0 instead of 3.99. But I still wouldn't do the latter, for the reason above - 4.0 is a perfect GPA, straight As, and a 3.99 means you didn't get straight As. Plus unless you're writing poetry I don't understand how writing 3.99 instead of 4.0 interrupts the tone and rhythm.

(sorry, not supposed to be anon - A. Nony Mouse)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm

How bout just putting your actual GPA on your resume and stop being a bitch about it?

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:47 pm

chimp wrote:How bout just putting your actual GPA on your resume and stop being a bitch about it?
2 parts recalcitrance, 1 part jealously seems to produce one whole chimp - how bout you read before you comment? We aren't discussing resumes. arbitrarily calling someone a bitch on the internet = not cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm

cynthiad wrote:
No. Writing 4.0 generally means you never got less than an A, while 3.99 is almost perfect but not quite. You can't list a perfect GPA if you didn't get perfect grades.
My school offers A+'s at 4.33 so no, you can get a "perfect" GPA with less than "perfect" grades.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:56 pm

loomstate wrote:
chimp wrote:How bout just putting your actual GPA on your resume and stop being a bitch about it?
2 parts recalcitrance, 1 part jealously seems to produce one whole chimp - how bout you read before you comment? We aren't discussing resumes. arbitrarily calling someone a bitch on the internet = not cool.
I'm with the monkey...at least with the just put your actual GPA and move on...and stop being a bitch.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 pm

But seriously - how on earth does putting 3.99 undermine the tone/rhythm of a piece of writing? If you want to put 4.0 because it kills you that 3.99 is so close and really it's just like a 4.0, I get that, but I don't understand the stated reason for wanting to put a 4.0.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm

loomstate wrote:
Are you referring to your law school grades or your undergrad grades here?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 pm

loomstate wrote:
Your personal anecdote isn't necessarily analogous - I want to write 4.0 in a statement mainly because 3.99 undermines my tone and rhythm. writing 4.5 instead of 5 is silly, i agree.
The difference between jobs you can get (or law schools you can get into if you're talking about UG grades) with a 3.99 v. a 4.0 is completely negligible. But as you realize, you're risking a lot by potentially misrepresenting your GPA on your resume (character and fitness, etc.) So why in the world would you take that kind of risk for *NO GAIN WHATSOEVER*. For someone smart enough to get a 3.99, you’d think you’d be able to apply an iota of common sense and do a basic risk-reward analysis.

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 pm

loomstate wrote:
cynthiad wrote:
My school offers A+'s at 4.33 so no, you can get a "perfect" GPA with less than "perfect" grades.
That's why I said "generally." But people still consider a 4.0 to be "perfect" even if it's technically possible at some schools to go higher. There's no way someone could make straight A's and get a 3.99.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

SBL wrote:
loomstate wrote:
The difference between jobs you can get (or law schools you can get into if you're talking about UG grades) with a 3.99 v. a 4.0 is completely negligible. But as you realize, you're risking a lot by potentially misrepresenting your GPA on your resume (character and fitness, etc.) So why in the world would you take that kind of risk for *NO GAIN WHATSOEVER*. For someone smart enough to get a 3.99, you’d think you’d be able to apply an iota of common sense and do a basic risk-reward analysis.
+1 to SBL, this is a dumb idea that gets you little benefit. Just put 3.99. The only place this might make a difference is like SCOTUS clerking or something. And even then probably not. Seems like the potential issues far outweigh the very minimal benefit. Just take your lumps bro, you're just a 3.99er.

And how does one even get a 3.99 in law school? Seems like even one grade less than an A would knock you down a bit more, no?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SBL wrote:
loomstate wrote:
+1 to SBL, this is a dumb idea that gets you little benefit. Just put 3.99. The only place this might make a difference is like SCOTUS clerking or something. And even then probably not. Seems like the potential issues far outweigh the very minimal benefit. Just take your lumps bro, you're just a 3.99er.

And how does one even get a 3.99 in law school? Seems like even one grade less than an A would knock you down a bit more, no?
I'm smelling 0L on this guy like old cheese.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Resume wrote: Litchfield School of Law, JD Class of 2014
GPA: 4
Bowling Club, Law Review Member
LOL

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
LOL
Wait a minute, is this real life?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

SBL wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
LOL
Wait a minute, is this real life?
Man, I wish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
SBL wrote:
loomstate wrote:

I know a guy with a 3.97. Getting a few A+'s and A's, plus one or two A- will do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 pm

What's Litchfield School of Law? I thought I had heard of every ABA-accredited law school, but I don't now that one. If it is a school that has a more well-known name (like if it is the law school at UConn or something), put that name. Otherwise people will throw it in the trash.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:What's Litchfield School of Law? I thought I had heard of every ABA-accredited law school, but I don't now that one. If it is a school that has a more well-known name (like if it is the law school at UConn or something), put that name. Otherwise people will throw it in the trash.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=litchfield+school+of+law

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 pm

GTFO, confirmed 0L.

If you want to know why, here's why.

Also:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:59 pm

SBL wrote:I'm smelling 0L on this guy like old cheese.
QFT

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”