SAs: Biggest social mistake you made this summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SAs: Biggest social mistake you made this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I thought this might be a good time to reflect on the mistakes we made this summer. For me, my biggest social mistake was flirting with a (married) client at a social event at my firm. Too much wine...Big mistake and entirely inappropriate. I think I will get no-offered.

What is the biggest social mistake you made?

Anonymous User

Re: SAs: Biggest social mistake you made this summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 pm

lmao...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Not an SA, but a COA extern - I told a clerk, referring to an argument that she had suggested another judge on our panel would make, that I was sorry I was so dismissive of the argument in a prior email but that I was in an "impatient with bad legal arguments mood." The way I put it, though, it wasn't clear if I was criticizing her even taking the argument seriously or the other judge for making it. They went to another city to sit in on oral argument, and for a day I didn't hear anything from her or the other clerks, but the phone kept ringing in chambers and, in a fit of paranoia, I assumed they were calling to say I was fired. But, in fact, the clerk hadn't misunderstood and everything was fine and they all love me. Or my work, at least, my culinary pickiness frustrates their lunch plans to no end.

The other awkward event - not a social mistake, but a big scare - was when the judge brought in his dead best friend's son to see if he wanted a clerkship. Dead BFF's son attended the same college I attended, and was, in fact, the Sports Editor of the school paper when I was a freshman, as I discovered when I googled him on the judge's suggestion to read some articles dead bff's son had written in the school paper. Well, when I found out that dead bff's son was the sports editor of the paper my freshman year, I was terrified, because, when I was a freshman, I was involved in an ethics scandal with one of the stars of one of the big sports teams on campus, and, during this scandal, which never quite became public, the paper called the team's press director and said it was thinking of writing a story on how Player X had been involved in this scandal with Person Y, Person Y just happening to be me. Now, I don't believe the paper ever knew exactly just who Person Y was, other than that Person Y was a male who worked for the team. (There were only four such people so they had it narrowed down that far.) But he could've, and during the whole time he was chatting with the judge/clerks, I was terrified he would remember who I was and divulge my big secret.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:41 pm

This will DEFINITELY out me, so please don't out my moniker, mods:

I rear-ended a fellow summer associate's car with my car on the way to a firm softball game. There was no damage to either car, but everyone still made fun of me for it at the softball game and throughout the rest of the summer.

I still got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm not an SA. This is my first summer and I'm working in a state AG's office. Still, you want to get good recommendations from your 1L summer job.

I was house-sitting for one of the AAG's. It was Saturday morning and I was just bumming around the house with a cup of coffee. I tripped over my own feet and crashed to the ground. My coffee completely spilled...all over the AAG's white rug.

I had to go out to get a rug cleaner and the stain was almost dry when I came back. Over the next few days I cleaned it 5 or 6 times and it only looked marginally better.

That same day I was opening the drapes and the entire window covering came crashing down on me.

Then, my friend brought over some smoked salmon, which I ate over the course of a day. No amount of scrubbing could get the smell out of the refrigerator.

Finally, I thought the AAG and her family were coming home a day later than they actually were. So, when they got home I hadn't taken in the mail, emptied the dish washer or washing machine, taken out the trash or watered the plants.

The AAG and her family came back to a pretty bad disaster. I felt awful.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not an SA. This is my first summer and I'm working in a state AG's office. Still, you want to get good recommendations from your 1L summer job.

I was house-sitting for one of the AAG's. It was Saturday morning and I was just bumming around the house with a cup of coffee. I tripped over my own feet and crashed to the ground. My coffee completely spilled...all over the AAG's white rug.

I had to go out to get a rug cleaner and the stain was almost dry when I came back. Over the next few days I cleaned it 5 or 6 times and it only looked marginally better.

I showed it to the AAG when she came back. She was like: "wow, it's really noticeable." There was a long silence. I felt terrible.

Eh, I think withholding recommendation merely because you spilled on a white rug would be kinda bullshit.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not an SA. This is my first summer and I'm working in a state AG's office. Still, you want to get good recommendations from your 1L summer job.

I showed it to the AAG when she came back. She was like: "wow, it's really noticeable." There was a long silence. I felt terrible.

Eh, I think withholding recommendation merely because you spilled on a white rug would be kinda bullshit.

And I think asking your interns to house-sit for you is kind of...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 am

Before I started, I thought that I would work mainly for the partner who called me about the SA offer and dined me after the call.

So, in my SA reception, I told people that I would work for that partner. (a huge, huge mistake).

Throughout the summer, I got assignments from associates, senior associates, and that partner; but not from the other partners in my practice group.

In my farewell lunch on my last day, one partner learned that I was extended an offer and said "do you have an offer from the XX group or the YY group?" (XX is the partner who called me and dined me; YY is the group head). I smiled, and did not make any reaction. Shortly after, he congratulated me on my offer and said the offer would relieve me of a lot of pressure.

I guess I started off on the wrong foot.

Don't make the same stupid mistake.

And anything I could do to make up this mistake? Thanks.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Before I started, I thought that I would work mainly for the partner who called me about the SA offer and dined me after the call.

So, in my SA reception, I told people that I would work for that partner. (a huge, huge mistake).

Throughout the summer, I got assignments from associates, senior associates, and that partner; but not from the other partners in my practice group.

In my farewell lunch on my last day, one partner learned that I was extended an offer and said "do you have an offer from the XX group or the YY group?" (XX is the partner who called me and dined me; YY is the group head). I smiled, and did not make any reaction. Shortly after, he congratulated me on my offer and said the offer would relieve me of a lot of pressure.

I don't even understand what the problem is, exactly. This sounds like a case of not understanding how to interact with people and thinking social interactions are some logical process where if you say the wrong words everything is fucked. Why don't you just, uh, like, tell the partners who haven't given you work that you would like to take on a project for them, whatever they have?

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

While out at lunch with four attorneys, all partners, I ordered one of the daily specials. Turns out that it came with salad, soup, bread, the entree and a couple of side dishes. So I sat there and ate my salad in front of everyone. Then I ate my soup in front of everyone. Then my bread. Then everyone else's food finally came out with my entree. It was mildly embarrassing. Moral of the story is don't order a dinner at lunchtime. And if you order something that you don't think is a dinner and the waitress starts asking you about soup, salad, and fifteen other courses, ABORT.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:While out at lunch with four attorneys, all partners, I ordered one of the daily specials. Turns out that it came with salad, soup, bread, the entree and a couple of side dishes. So I sat there and ate my salad in front of everyone. Then I ate my soup in front of everyone. Then my bread. Then everyone else's food finally came out with my entree. It was mildly embarrassing. Moral of the story is don't order a dinner at lunchtime. And if you order something that you don't think is a dinner and the waitress starts asking you about soup, salad, and fifteen other courses, ABORT.

"I'll have what he is having" will be my go-to line

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:57 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:While out at lunch with four attorneys, all partners, I ordered one of the daily specials. Turns out that it came with salad, soup, bread, the entree and a couple of side dishes. So I sat there and ate my salad in front of everyone. Then I ate my soup in front of everyone. Then my bread. Then everyone else's food finally came out with my entree. It was mildly embarrassing. Moral of the story is don't order a dinner at lunchtime. And if you order something that you don't think is a dinner and the waitress starts asking you about soup, salad, and fifteen other courses, ABORT.

In my opinion, the funniest of the faux pas stories.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:12 pm

kaiser wrote:

"I'll have what he is having" will be my go-to line

I should have said that; I'm just not sure how well that would have gone over considering I was the first person ordering.

"I'll have whatever he is having."

"Sir, he hasn't ordered yet."

"Yeah, that's fine. I'm sure whatever he gets us will be good."

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Before I started, I thought that I would work mainly for the partner who called me about the SA offer and dined me after the call.

I don't even understand what the problem is, exactly. This sounds like a case of not understanding how to interact with people and thinking social interactions are some logical process where if you say the wrong words everything is fucked. Why don't you just, uh, like, tell the partners who haven't given you work that you would like to take on a project for them, whatever they have?

Yeah, this actually doesn't even make sense.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:

+1. I'm seeing sebastian sitting there at a table, salad in hand... "shit...if I don't eat it, I'm wasteful, and perhaps stupid. If I eat it, I lack social grace. Maybe if I eat it in a repentant manner. Shit."

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:27 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

+1. I'm seeing sebastian sitting there at a table, salad in hand... "shit...if I don't eat it, I'm wasteful, and perhaps stupid. If I eat it, I lack social grace. Maybe if I eat it in a repentant manner. Shit."

"Maybe I should eat it fast, so we can all get our entrees sooner. Wait, no, if I eat it fast they will think it tastes really good, plus they'll think I'm a slob. I don't want them to think it tastes good and think they are missing out. But damn, this actually is really, really effin' good. This is probably the crunchiest salad in a four-state radius. And those chunks in the dressing, are they blue cheese or crack? Wait, FOCUS. I guess I'll eat it earnestly but with a modicum of restraint. What exactly would that look like? I should give the salad a quizzical look and then appear pensive, which will give the appearance of restraint, all while eating it fast. Shit, I better just eat half of it and act like it doesn't taste very good. Then I seem ungrateful. I bet I could commit suicide with that decorative fire poker over on that ledge."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Weird. At my firm, it seemed most every time we went out to eat the Associates/Partners got appetizers and deserts in addition to the main course. So we were more awkward if we didn't order them. Of course, we only went out once a week most weeks, so that might have something to do with it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:+1. I'm seeing sebastian sitting there at a table, salad in hand... "shit...if I don't eat it, I'm wasteful, and perhaps stupid. If I eat it, I lack social grace. Maybe if I eat it in a repentant manner. Shit."

"Maybe I should eat it fast, so we can all get our entrees sooner. Wait, no, if I eat it fast they will think it tastes really good, plus they'll think I'm a slob. I don't want them to think it tastes good and think they are missing out. But damn, this actually is really, really effin' good. This is probably the crunchiest salad in a four-state radius. And those chunks in the dressing, are they blue cheese or crack? Wait, FOCUS. I guess I'll eat it earnestly but with a modicum of restraint. What exactly would that look like? I should give the salad a quizzical look and then appear pensive, which will give the appearance of restraint, all while eating it fast. Shit, I better just eat half of it and act like it doesn't taste very good. Then I seem ungrateful. I bet I could commit suicide with that decorative fire poker over on that ledge."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:

Cracked me up.

law1931

Postby law1931 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

Made me laugh out loud

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 pm

This actually just happened yesterday. On the way back from our lunch, three other attorneys, a partner and I were jaywalking across the street on the way to our office. One of the more plump attorneys asked the partner if she would get workers compensation if she got hit by a car...

I told her, "No, instead you'll be liable for the damage you do to their car."

I didn't realize it would sound so bad out loud.. :oops:

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I don't know. Did the rug really tie the room together? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtIhoDiiqI

cosmopolitan

Postby cosmopolitan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:This actually just happened yesterday. On the way back from our lunch, three other attorneys, a partner and I were jaywalking across the street on the way to our office. One of the more plump attorneys asked the partner if she would get workers compensation if she got hit by a car...

No way. This did not happen.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 am

cosmopolitan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This actually just happened yesterday. On the way back from our lunch, three other attorneys, a partner and I were jaywalking across the street on the way to our office. One of the more plump attorneys asked the partner if she would get workers compensation if she got hit by a car...

No way. This did not happen.

I can see it happening. I am sure the SA who made the jape was not thinking about the fact that the attorney was rotund until after they finished speaking. Without that information, it is a rather harmless joke. Only when it is put in context does it become hurtful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm the SA that made that joke, and you're right. I didn't think of her plumpness until after the words came out of my mouth.

Return to “Legal Employment”