Giving a gift to your SA mentor(s)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Giving a gift to your SA mentor(s)?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 am

Should you do this at the conclusion of the program? If so, any ideas as to what a good gift might be?

XxSpyKEx

Re: Giving a gift to your SA mentor(s)?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote: If so, any ideas as to what a good gift might be?

A giant dildo and some anal beads.

Just in case it's not already obvious, don't give them a gift. That's fucking weird. Just thank him at the end, and tell him that it was pleasure working with him, you look forward to working with him in the future blah blah blah.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 am

I think it depends on how much you interacted with them. If they had multiple mentees or only spent time with you at required events, then a gift would be odd. However, if you got coffee several times, they were there to answer any questions you had throughout the summer, and you felt you made a real connection, then I think a small gift would be nice. Something like stationary, nothing too expensive.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 am

I don't understand this desire for self-abasement in the form of gift giving. You're not a kid anymore. Adults don't give other adults gifts at work (unless it's your admin's birthday, Xmas, etc.). It's fucking weird.

I used to mentor trainees at my old job and I would have viewed it as a creepy, tactless, kiss ass move by the new guy. We had one kid who gave a couple of us expensive chocolates at the end of his summer there- we still made fun of him regularly three years later when I left.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I don't understand this desire for self-abasement in the form of gift giving. You're not a kid anymore. Adults don't give other adults gifts at work (unless it's your admin's birthday, Xmas, etc.). It's fucking weird.

I used to mentor trainees at my old job and I would have viewed it as a creepy, tactless, kiss ass move by the new guy. We had one kid who gave a couple of us expensive chocolates at the end of his summer there- we still made fun of him regularly three years later when I left.

I should add -- if you're a woman and you had a female mentor, a gift may be appropriate. Not if you're a man...I don't think men ever give each other gifts, but women certainly do.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 am

viking138 wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I don't understand this desire for self-abasement in the form of gift giving. You're not a kid anymore. Adults don't give other adults gifts at work (unless it's your admin's birthday, Xmas, etc.). It's fucking weird.

I should add -- if you're a woman and you had a female mentor, a gift may be appropriate. Not if you're a man...I don't think men ever give each other gifts, but women certainly do.

This is a fair point.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
viking138 wrote:

This is a fair point.

OP, if you really liked your mentor, the best thing might be to take your mentor out to lunch a month or two after you end work. You can catch up, they keep you in mind, and there's no awkwardness. They'll probably still insist on paying, but if you got along they'll be pleased you remembered them and happy with that.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 pm

This is a really immature idea. This is adulthood, not giving a gift to your first grade teacher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:10 pm

I had two mentors this summer (I'm a female and both are males) and gave each of them a thank you card. One of my friends at the firm (female SA and one male & one female mentor) got her female mentor flowers. Nothing for the male except a card.

A gift for the mentor is unnecessary, but you should get flowers or something for your assistant.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:30 pm

viking138 wrote:

Not unless it's a giant dildo or anal beads. Your call on that one OP lol

Return to “Legal Employment”