Where to buy interview appropriate purse in DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
picardy third

Where to buy interview appropriate purse in DC?

Postby picardy third » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm going suit shopping tomorrow in DC, and would really like to pick up a business/OCI-appropriate purse while I'm at it. Despite being otherwise able to dress myself, I'm clueless about this. I think the most expensive purse I ever bought was around $40. Is there an Ann Taylor equivalent to accessories, where pretty much every black purse of the right size will be fine?

Ideally I would like to get something I can also use in other situations, for example, bring to my legal aid internship without looking obnoxious. Is that doable?

Thanks!

mightyaphrodite

Re: Where to buy interview appropriate purse in DC?

Postby mightyaphrodite » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 pm

I mean, I guess you could go to Coach or something like that.

You probably would want to get a tote. For OCI, you would be able to put in a portfolio and/or a folder with your resumes, transcripts, and writing samples. For business purposes, it's nice to have a bag where you can toss in an extra pair of shoes (if you are a public transit commuter), etc.

Marley

Postby Marley » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Stay away from labels of any kind (including those huge C's on the Coach purses, LVs, Gucci Gs, etc etc). Fine for when you're hired, but could look obnoxious in an interview/at Legal Aid. Department stores (Macys, Nordstrom) will have a lot of variety at many price points. Something like this is ideal: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=46015

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:37 pm

A department store, like Macy's, should have plenty of options. I'd probably head to Metro Center because there is a Macy's, Filene's Basement, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor around there, so you could get everything you need in one area. Or Georgetown if you feel like splurging (Kate Spade!). If you're really not sure what to get, look for something in a neutral color with clean lines and a structured shape (not a slouchy hobo bag). Make sure it isn't covered in obnoxious logos and doesn't have any sort of bling on it. I'd probably go for something large enough to hold a legal pad or folders with your resume in it too. External pockets are helpful because you can keep things like pens and business cards in there and don't have to rummage through your purse for them, which can make you look disorganized. Pick a nice looking material, like leather, not jute, pleather or cheap-looking nylon. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to find a nice looking interview bag for $40 (maybe at Filene's Basement). I'd budget closer to $100, you should be able to find something at Macy's at that price or a little lower.

I don't know of a store that sells only business-appropriate accessories, but at a store like Coach they should be able to point you in the right direction if you tell them you are looking for something professional.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Depending on how quickly you need it, shopping at Overstock or similar online shops can get you good deals.

Also, this
HWS08 wrote: Pick a nice looking material, like leather, not jute, pleather or cheap-looking nylon.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:29 pm

wait seriously? i have a nice bag with logos on it that i was going to bring :(

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm

ugh I have been looking for a plain bag everywhere- everything is covered in logos or otherwise way to trendy/trashy- do you think it has to be big enough for a computer?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

So is a purse what women would carry instead of a briefcase? :?:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:So is a purse what women would carry instead of a briefcase? :?:

Yes, I believe so.

For the ladies, is Longchamp OK?

Is anything other than black Longchamp OK? E.g., Graphite, navy, slate, etc

I dislike using leather for interviews and prefer something extremely streamlined, but I don't know whether the leather purses would look more professional.

Miller32

Postby Miller32 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Try FUBU.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 am

Last edited by czelede on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underwhere759

Postby underwhere759 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:06 pm

I think brand names are fine, as long as it isn't anything super flashy. I personally picked up a nice big coach bag--that i would say is like a combination briefcase/tote. Its black not flashy, but stable and big enough to hold my portfolio, laptop and some other stuff. I got it at the outlet at Potomac Mills for around 100 bucks.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:24 pm

wackadoodle wrote:ugh I have been looking for a plain bag everywhere- everything is covered in logos or otherwise way to trendy/trashy- do you think it has to be big enough for a computer?

I don't think so. The only job/internship I've ever had where I had to carry a computer back and forth was a political campaign, and that is not a job where they care about staff looking professional anyways. If you do need to carry a computer just get a laptop bag.

Examples of other professional bags : http://www.ninewest.com/Leather-Convert ... st-catalog (remove the crossbody strap if you aren't using it).

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... 26spc%3D12

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=57525 (in white, again, remove the crossbody strap when not using)

Anon - Why do you dislike leather for interviews? Just about every woman in my professional office carries a leather bag, I'm not sure what material would look more professional than that.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm

underwhere759 wrote:I think brand names are fine, as long as it isn't anything super flashy. I personally picked up a nice big coach bag--that i would say is like a combination briefcase/tote. Its black not flashy, but stable and big enough to hold my portfolio, laptop and some other stuff. I got it at the outlet at Potomac Mills for around 100 bucks.

recently? Does the coach outlet have a variety of things that aren't covered in the coach logo? I just had my 100th failed trip to the mall (not potomac mills) and came back with tons of stuff I don't need (again)..... :/

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Also in DC, anyone have recs for where to find decent interview shoes that aren't crazy-expensive?

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

DSW Pentagon City

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Also in DC, anyone have recs for where to find decent interview shoes that aren't crazy-expensive?

Try the cole haan outlet- or even at Macys I got a pair for $140- plus the nike air ones are fantastically comfortable and seem like a good investment-

This an appropriate interview bag? (I've been swayed from the whole big enough to fit a computer thing)

--LinkRemoved--

Marley

Postby Marley » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm

For shoes: just got these and I am obsessed with them.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... 6spc%3D467

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I think a large Macy's is a good call for shoes. I have these:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... 26spc%3D65
They are seriously comfortable and deliciously unremarkable.

Return to “Legal Employment”