Cover letter: Reapplying to firms that rejected me last year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
starrynight62

Cover letter: Reapplying to firms that rejected me last year

Postby starrynight62 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I interviewed with several firms for 1L OCI. I would now like to apply to some of them again for my 2L summer. Should I say something in the cover letter like, "When I interviewed with your firm last year, I was very impressed with [X, Y, and Z factors]." Should I absolutely not mention the previous interview? It seems strange not to acknowledge it.

joeshmo39

Re: Cover letter: Reapplying to firms that rejected me last year

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:22 pm

I was in this situation with one firm too. I think you address it because you do know these people and they were interested enough to give you on interview. It may also feel odd to interview again with someone you interviewed with less than a year ago. Thus, you want to remind them you have already come through so they look around and see who you already spoke with.

Everyone, including the firms, know that 1L SAs are hard to come by and really qualified people are turned down. Don't think they don't like you are you aren't good enough. Here is how I approached it in my letter, more or less:

1. I interviewed with your firm last year
2. I thought everyone I met was smart, passionate about their work, and personable.
3. I feel I have learned a lot in the short time since I last spoke with you and you will find I have a lot to offer.

All of that was true in my case, YMMV. For me, I felt good about the interview I had, I just knew that 1L SAs are hard to land. When I got the rejection letter, it sucked, but no hard feelings. I'm sure the firm felt the same way. I would have had to really wow them to land it, I didn't, no hard feelings - see you around.

Summary: mention the previous interview, say you enjoyed it and were impressed, then say you're back and better than ever.

starrynight62

Re: Cover letter: Reapplying to firms that rejected me last year

Postby starrynight62 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Thank you, that seems like a great way to approach it. I like "I'm back and better than ever" more than "You already met me once and weren't that impressed."

Return to “Legal Employment”