How to figure out which practice area to focus on?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to figure out which practice area to focus on?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 am

I will be attending one of CCN in the fall and obviously want to get the ball rolling on landing a job ASAP. My work experience is as follows:

4 busy seasons of audit at a big4 accounting firm, left as a senior associate (quit)
CPA
Series 7 and 66 licenses (both inactive due to me not working in the industry anymore)

My question is, is there a biglaw practice area that values audit experience more than other areas? I was thinking tax would make sense, but since my CPA experience is all in audit, will that matter for landing a tax position?

Also, I am a URM (MA) if that factors in.

Thanks in advance!

Renzo

Re: How to figure out which practice area to focus on?

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:06 pm

I don't know that there's a practice area where experience as an auditor is directly relevant, but it's tangentially relevant to lots of areas of corporate law. And, it's real, serious work experience in a bona fide business environment, and that counts for a lot.

Rather than trying to figure out in which area of law your background will get you a job; instead explore practice areas, decide what you like, and then rehearse explaining how your past experience is relevant (trust me, something you did is relevant no matter what you pick).

Return to “Legal Employment”