UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 pm

It's a ways away but I would like to apply for this one day: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/bigelow/apply

I was wondering if anyone had a sense of how competitive it is (how many apply each year).

Thanks

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's a ways away but I would like to apply for this one day: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/bigelow/apply

I was wondering if anyone had a sense of how competitive it is (how many apply each year).

Thanks


I don't know the numbers but I think it is pretty damn competitive. Seems like a cool program, past Bigelows have done really well for themselves.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Emma. wrote: Seems like a cool program, past Bigelows have done really well for themselves.

Yeah I just found a list of what all the Fellows' first assignments were after the program and where they are now. Really neat.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Yeah that's at the bottom of the link. If you are interested in legal academia it does seem like the best bet. I think it is one of those things where it might take a few years to get in, just reapply every year until you get it. You'll just have more realworld experience and more publications so youll become more and more attractive each time. But who knows.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 am

Maybe not surprising, but it's worth noting that of the 6 bigelows for this year, 3 went to Harvard, 2 Yale, and 1 Chicago. It also looks like all 6 had an appellate level clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe not surprising, but it's worth noting that of the 6 bigelows for this year, 3 went to Harvard, 2 Yale, and 1 Chicago. It also looks like all 6 had an appellate level clerkship.


How difficult is it to get a clerkship like that? Say someone at a T6 school.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe not surprising, but it's worth noting that of the 6 bigelows for this year, 3 went to Harvard, 2 Yale, and 1 Chicago. It also looks like all 6 had an appellate level clerkship.


How difficult is it to get a clerkship like that? Say someone at a T6 school.


Depends on the circuit. Apparently to get a 7th Cir. position coming from UChicago you need to be in the top 5ish percent of the class.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:54 am

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe not surprising, but it's worth noting that of the 6 bigelows for this year, 3 went to Harvard, 2 Yale, and 1 Chicago. It also looks like all 6 had an appellate level clerkship.


How difficult is it to get a clerkship like that? Say someone at a T6 school.


Depends on the circuit. Apparently to get a 7th Cir. position coming from UChicago you need to be in the top 5ish percent of the class.


Really? That surprises me, you would think at least top 10-15% would be competitive for the non-feeder 7th Circuit judges.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago's Bigelow Fellowship

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe not surprising, but it's worth noting that of the 6 bigelows for this year, 3 went to Harvard, 2 Yale, and 1 Chicago. It also looks like all 6 had an appellate level clerkship.


How difficult is it to get a clerkship like that? Say someone at a T6 school.


Depends on the circuit. Apparently to get a 7th Cir. position coming from UChicago you need to be in the top 5ish percent of the class.


Really? That surprises me, you would think at least top 10-15% would be competitive for the non-feeder 7th Circuit judges.


Yeah, that might be true. The comment might have only been referring to the big names, since I guess that is what anyone with law review grades is shooting for. And actually the number mentioned was a 181 average, which would be more like top 2-3%.

I think for the purposes of the Bigelow program you can assume you need to be near the top of the class at a top school (or have published something really amazing) to have a decent shot.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.