Miami biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DallasCowboy

Silver

Re: Miami biglaw

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 am

Well its not really uniform in Miami. You got Bilzin at 125, Akerman/White&Case at 135, Greenberg at 135 or 145, McDermott at 145, Weil at 160

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 am

DallasCowboy wrote:It honestly seems like more Miami firms do OCI/hiring at Columbia/NYU than at Duke/UVA. Also, if all you want is Miami biglaw, you might as well not go to law school because it's a crapshoot and all the firms will take at least one Miami 2L and maybe even a UF 2L. Then factor class sizes of 0-7 for the <10 "market"-paying firms and way more students in the T-14 with Miami ties and connections than you could imagine.
So in order to get into Miami biglaw I should not go to law school. Got it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 am

DallasCowboy wrote:Well its not really uniform in Miami. You got Bilzin at 125, Akerman/White&Case at 135, Greenberg at 135 or 145, McDermott at 145, Weil at 160
Can Bilzin be considered "big law"? It pays market but has only 1 office. It is also a relatively young firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 am

vincanity1 wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:It honestly seems like more Miami firms do OCI/hiring at Columbia/NYU than at Duke/UVA. Also, if all you want is Miami biglaw, you might as well not go to law school because it's a crapshoot and all the firms will take at least one Miami 2L and maybe even a UF 2L. Then factor class sizes of 0-7 for the <10 "market"-paying firms and way more students in the T-14 with Miami ties and connections than you could imagine.
This isn't right. I am at a T6 and worked miami biglaw after 1L. Sure, I'm the exception and not the rule but it seemed like 2L hiring for natives was strong if you attended the right school. What's the right school? Is there a dramatic drop-off b/w T6 and T10 and T14? Good questions -- and I'm not sure. These subtle ambiguities aside, it seems like if your grades are around the median, and you attend one of those schools, and you're from the area, the presumption at most, but not at all (e.g. Gunster), is that you're wanted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 am

I've noticed that a lot of Miami firms either have tiered partnership structures (non-equity and equity partners), much longer partnership tracks (i.e., 9 to 10 years), or both.

Does anyone know why this appears to be much more common in Miami than, say, in NYC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
This isn't right. I am at a T6 and worked miami biglaw after 1L. Sure, I'm the exception and not the rule but it seemed like 2L hiring for natives was strong if you attended the right school. What's the right school? Is there a dramatic drop-off b/w T6 and T10 and T14? Good questions -- and I'm not sure. These subtle ambiguities aside, it seems like if your grades are around the median, and you attend one of those schools, and you're from the area, the presumption at most, but not at all (e.g. Gunster), is that you're wanted.

I'd love to know the firm if you wouldn't mind sharing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

I'd love to know the firm if you wouldn't mind sharing
It doesn't matter where I worked -- they're all the same in miami

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:03 pm

So all firms take 1L SAs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 pm

vincanity1 wrote:So all firms take 1L SAs?
No, I meant that the firm I worked at is no different than any other; it's not like NYC where there are discernable tiers.

Some take 1Ls, most don't. The ones that typically take 1Ls are Bilzin, Stearns Weaver, Greenberg, and sometimes Carlton Fields.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know what to expect in terms of bonuses?
I'm also interested in this. Does anyone have any idea?

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:So all firms take 1L SAs?
No, I meant that the firm I worked at is no different than any other; it's not like NYC where there are discernable tiers.

Some take 1Ls, most don't. The ones that typically take 1Ls are Bilzin, Stearns Weaver, Greenberg, and sometimes Carlton Fields.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Well its not really uniform in Miami. You got Bilzin at 125, Akerman/White&Case at 135, Greenberg at 135 or 145, McDermott at 145, Weil at 160, Boies at 174
Added.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:Well its not really uniform in Miami. You got Bilzin at 125, Akerman/White&Case at 135, Greenberg at 135 or 145, McDermott at 145, Weil at 160, Boies at 174
Added.
But McDermott is a festering TTT, white and case and gtlaw sweatshops, and bilzin a hellhole. The ear names in town are rarely mentioned

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Added.
But McDermott is a festering TTT, white and case and gtlaw sweatshops, and bilzin a hellhole. The ear names in town are rarely mentioned
"ear names" ??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Added.
Guess we've been warned.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Added.
Guess we've been warned.
Don't know about the rest, but there are legit fears about McDermott.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
right so T6 over duke/uva like I said

oops anon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Prior anon @ T6. McDermott is crap; Greenberg is a shithole sweatshop, as is W&C (where there is legitimately 0% of making partner). I've heard bad stuff about Bilzin.

Best bets in the city are probably Akerman, Stearns, Weil, Boies.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:41 pm

anyone have any experience with shook hardy miami?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

T6 anon, pm me plz.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 pm

kwais wrote:anyone have any experience with shook hardy miami?
tiny shop in miami -- no traction

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tiny shop in miami -- no traction
sorry, can you explain traction? thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

I heard that they just opened up in Miami to handle some tort cases that were being brought in FL under some litigation loophole. They are probably not sticking around.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I heard that they just opened up in Miami to handle some tort cases that were being brought in FL under some litigation loophole. They are probably not sticking around.
Interesting. Thanks.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

T6 anon, please pm me too? T6 here hoping to do Miami biglaw 1L and have questions. thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”