NYU 3L EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 am

So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?

arnie162
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby arnie162 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

2L, not a 3L. But out of curiousity, if you don't mind, what happened last year that you're now doing 3L EIW?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, there were a bunch of things that went wrong, from getting caught in the rain the first day, (thus getting my only avilable suit at the time wet) a resume typo that OSC and I both missed, not great interviewing skills at the time, etc. That was followed on by mass mailing too late, and continuing to screw up call back interviews. Additionally, I was a transfer student. However, I think I am only one of a very, very few transfer students to strike out. So, in short I need a lot of luck to not end up posting under areyouinsane3.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?


3 interviews!? Wtf. I'm a rising 3L at Columbia that will be participating in EIP, and we haven't gotten our EIP interview schedules yet, but I would assume that whatever happens at NYU will happen with us. Did you bid mainly on New York? How many firms are signed up for 3L EIP at NYU?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?


3 interviews!? Wtf. I'm a rising 3L at Columbia that will be participating in EIP, and we haven't gotten our EIP interview schedules yet, but I would assume that whatever happens at NYU will happen with us. Did you bid mainly on New York? How many firms are signed up for 3L EIP at NYU?


Three is normal. A ton of people who were at firms 2L summer do EIP because they don't still have offers. I've talked to a few people in the last few days at pretty good firms who are participating in 3L EIP because they don't have offers yet. Most 3Ls I've talked to (CLS rising 3L) got 1 or 2 interviews last year from bidding.

Aside to all those who worked at firms the summer- please cancel your interview schedule when you get an offer. I know you will probably be drunk, but just take 5 seconds to help out your jobless classmates. And all of you who want to trade up firms for the prestige- fuck you very kindly.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?



Just wondering, what big firms are interviewing 3Ls at NYU?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?


3 interviews!? Wtf. I'm a rising 3L at Columbia that will be participating in EIP, and we haven't gotten our EIP interview schedules yet, but I would assume that whatever happens at NYU will happen with us. Did you bid mainly on New York? How many firms are signed up for 3L EIP at NYU?


Damn, this is depressing. I saw that there are about 15 Big Law firms interviewing 3Ls at ColumTTTbia EIP this year and got excited. I figured that if I could line up like 10 screening interviews then maybe I'd get a job since I'm a STTTone Scholar. Any idea how many firms were interviewing 3Ls last year? Also, to the 3L at NYU, were the 3 interviews that you got at least your top 3 bids or were they random midlaw firms that also decided to give 3L EIP a whirl?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?


3 interviews!? Wtf. I'm a rising 3L at Columbia that will be participating in EIP, and we haven't gotten our EIP interview schedules yet, but I would assume that whatever happens at NYU will happen with us. Did you bid mainly on New York? How many firms are signed up for 3L EIP at NYU?


Damn, this is depressing. I saw that there are about 15 Big Law firms interviewing 3Ls at ColumTTTbia EIP this year and got excited. I figured that if I could line up like 10 screening interviews then maybe I'd get a job since I'm a STTTone Scholar. Any idea how many firms were interviewing 3Ls last year? Also, to the 3L at NYU, were the 3 interviews that you got at least your top 3 bids or were they random midlaw firms that also decided to give 3L EIP a whirl?


The number is up from last year but the number of jobs they want to fill might be down becuase they were better at assessing their ITE hiring. And if this debt crisis isn't solved it might be a moot point. I doubt 10 is even close to the number of screeners you will get. The people who do EIP as a back-up or to trade-up really fuck everyone without a job. And there are probably a fair number of us Stone Scholars w/ no SA competing for few jobs anyway.

Of the 40 or so firms coming most are satellite offices, really exclusive lit boutiques or midlaw. Not a lot of firms I think would actually be interested in hiring me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby glitched » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 pm

depressing threads are depressing.


(NYU 0L here)

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Damn, this is depressing. I saw that there are about 15 Big Law firms interviewing 3Ls at ColumTTTbia EIP this year and got excited. I figured that if I could line up like 10 screening interviews then maybe I'd get a job since I'm a STTTone Scholar. Any idea how many firms were interviewing 3Ls last year? Also, to the 3L at NYU, were the 3 interviews that you got at least your top 3 bids or were they random midlaw firms that also decided to give 3L EIP a whirl?


The number is up from last year but the number of jobs they want to fill might be down becuase they were better at assessing their ITE hiring. And if this debt crisis isn't solved it might be a moot point. I doubt 10 is even close to the number of screeners you will get. The people who do EIP as a back-up or to trade-up really fuck everyone without a job. And there are probably a fair number of us Stone Scholars w/ no SA competing for few jobs anyway.

Of the 40 or so firms coming most are satellite offices, really exclusive lit boutiques or midlaw. Not a lot of firms I think would actually be interested in hiring me.


Haha, we should circulate a list of 3Ls who get an offer from their 2L SA and who just do EIP to try to trade up for a more prestigious firm. If I strike out at EIP, fail to land a clerkship, and fail to land a government job, I don't envision myself taking 3L year very seriously (and hence, will probably have a ton of free time to commit pranks based on said list). I can think of few things douchier than signing up for 3L EIP in that situation. You already have a job. You already have a future. Your salary is going to be roughly the same at either place that you work. It might be one thing if everyone were getting jobs, but they're not, so don't fuck your jobless classmates out of a way of paying off their debt just so you can add a few additional (and probably meaningless) points to your resume.

Edit: if someone is trying to relocate to another city, that isn't merely trying to trade up for a more prestigious firm.


I was thinking we should pull some kind of senior prank (since I feel like I've been so infantilized by my three years in law school anyway), but this would be so much better.

I also don't have a problem with someone going to a specific firm for a practice area they really like if that firm happens to be more highly regarded. But what I'm worried about is the people who get offers from firms they had a good experience with and would be happy to work for and then are like "well I signed up for EIP anyway, might as well try to interview with a V5, maybe I'll get lucky!"

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

glitched wrote:depressing threads are depressing.


(NYU 0L here)


Sorry man. Just work your butt off 1L year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 pm

I got 1 interview. The most I heard that someone got was 3.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:54 pm

The situation is pretty dire at all the T10s for non Biglaw 3Ls I'm sure. How are you guys dealing with the stress. Is there any other avenues you guys are exploring?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The situation is pretty dire at all the T10s for non Biglaw 3Ls I'm sure. How are you guys dealing with the stress. Is there any other avenues you guys are exploring?


Of course. Government, clerkships, consulting. Not a lot out there after that except for public interest. There's a pretty good chance I could wind up in the basement after graduation and not have enough money to pay for BarBri. Probably about the same chance as getting Biglaw through 3L OCI, tbh.

And if this debt deal doesn't happen and our credit rating drops, it might as well be 2008 all over again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm

What did you NYU/CLS 3Ls do this summer if you weren't in big law? I'm in the same boat and did govt. Govt. job search seems futile right now though.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What did you NYU/CLS 3Ls do this summer if you weren't in big law? I'm in the same boat and did govt. Govt. job search seems futile right now though.


State gov. no chance of perm offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What did you NYU/CLS 3Ls do this summer if you weren't in big law? I'm in the same boat and did govt. Govt. job search seems futile right now though.


State gov. no chance of perm offer.


Also working for the gov., but it's not the type of job that typically gives its 2L summer interns a job after graduation (though I would be happy to work here later).

User avatar
cahesu
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby cahesu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A ton of people who were at firms 2L summer do EIP because they don't still have offers. I've talked to a few people in the last few days at pretty good firms who are participating in 3L EIP because they don't have offers yet.


This is a good point. I don't have experience with this yet (2L), but OCS strongly encourages 3Ls who don't have an offer yet to sign up for EIW. Maybe when they get offers, they will cancel their interviews, and the slots firms have reserved for 3Ls will open up for the add/drop days.

Best of luck!

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, there were a bunch of things that went wrong, from getting caught in the rain the first day, (thus getting my only avilable suit at the time wet) a resume typo that OSC and I both missed, not great interviewing skills at the time, etc. That was followed on by mass mailing too late, and continuing to screw up call back interviews. Additionally, I was a transfer student. However, I think I am only one of a very, very few transfer students to strike out. So, in short I need a lot of luck to not end up posting under areyouinsane3.

It seems kinda harsh that they penalized you for being wet when it was raining. :? That is scary. If you don't mind my asking, how would you say you screwed up interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What did you NYU/CLS 3Ls do this summer if you weren't in big law? I'm in the same boat and did govt. Govt. job search seems futile right now though.


State gov. no chance of perm offer.


Also working for the gov., but it's not the type of job that typically gives its 2L summer interns a job after graduation (though I would be happy to work here later).



How are you guys going to handle the fact that you weren't at firms in interviews? Our career services said not working at a firm 2L is a huge problem in trying to get into a firm now.

nyf
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby nyf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 pm

i dropped the one interview i had from signing up for eiw....pw.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What did you NYU/CLS 3Ls do this summer if you weren't in big law? I'm in the same boat and did govt. Govt. job search seems futile right now though.


State gov. no chance of perm offer.


Also working for the gov., but it's not the type of job that typically gives its 2L summer interns a job after graduation (though I would be happy to work here later).



How are you guys going to handle the fact that you weren't at firms in interviews? Our career services said not working at a firm 2L is a huge problem in trying to get into a firm now.


No clue. Am hoping it will never come up, or I'm interviewing with firms that will look less kindly on someone trying to switch firms so early in their legal career than someone trying to break in now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:54 pm

3 interviews for 3L OCI is not unusual at all. There hasn't been a real 3L OCI since 2007, when firms were looking to pick off people looking to trade up and whatnot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU 3L EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, I have three interviews, I was thinking this was pretty awful, in view of the fact that I had 25 as a 2L. But, I have been lead to belileve 1 is the average. Anyone else outhere care to share their number of interviews?


Holy fuck. I'm envious. 3 screening interviews for 3L OCI is fucking awesome! Congrats on landing all of those man. Last year, at MVP, the average number of 3L OCI interviews was 1, and I received 0.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.