How many firms is everyone mass mailing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
emciosn

How many firms is everyone mass mailing?

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:39 am

Hope I didn't miss a thread on this but I have been reading a lot of these mass mailing threads. I have seen people that say they have mass mailed 100+ firms. I have really only mass mailed one market (earlier this month), about 15-20 firms and have been following up with all my contacts. I have gotten some lunches, etc lined up. I go to WUSTL and just the school itself makes me a little more competitive in the market I mass mailed (secondary) than in say StL or Chicago. I have bid on the STL and CHI firms coming to OCI but I'm not banking on landing something through OCI. I don't have a real compelling urge to work in StL or Chicago but am I doing myself a disservice by not putting myself out there is some of the other midwest markets? Just wondering if people have had success with more limited mass mailings i guess or if I should keep at it.

scared2L

Re: How many firms is everyone mass mailing?

Postby scared2L » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

Mass-mailed every firm in the NLJ 250 with an office in DC, NYC, Boston, or Philly. It's really time consuming, as i've applied to the same firm multiple times for multiple offices.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am

scared2L wrote:Mass-mailed every firm in the NLJ 250 with an office in DC, NYC, Boston, or Philly. It's really time consuming, as i've applied to the same firm multiple times for multiple offices.

Any results yet?

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Mailed two firms in my hometown, got two interviews. I plan to send out another 30-50 applications, but I'm only looking at Atlanta and a tertiary market so I'm not sending out nearly as many applications as a Chi/LA/NY/DC person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Ideally, zero mass-mails. (assuming that mass-mailing is a "cold" application, with no one at the firm knowing you).

20-30 targeted mailings - I'm looking only at firms with a very specific practice area in one primary market and one secondary (hometown). I'm trying to network my resume to actual attorneys in my practice area (instead of recruiters) at as many of them as possible - so far, it's been working reasonably well. Realistically, I may still have 5-10 mass-mails/cold applications at the end if I'm not able to build a connection to a firm.

My grades are much less impressive than my work experience (directly relevant to the desired practice area), so I think I've got a lot more to gain from targeted mailings than a mass-mail shotgun approach. Downside is that networking is time-consuming as fuck.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Somewhere around 200. I'm about 40 dings closer to a yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Mass mailed about 30 firms. They are large regional firms, a few midsize ones, and a few local offices of Vault firms. I have 6 interviews set up so far, so I'm definitely satisfied with this round of 30. Haven't gotten any rejections yet, though I have gotten a few "we are in receipt of your application" emails. Will try and look for a few more, but it seems like every big firm is coming to OCI, so theres not much need for more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Pre-OCI: Ten.
Post-OCI: *shudder*

Return to “Legal Employment”