T10, 3.0, Linklaters, any shot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T10, 3.0, Linklaters, any shot?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:32 am

Want to do NY transactional work, have strong ties to London, have heard Linklaters is not as grade-focused, would they at least consider anything below median, especially this far ish below median?

Aston2412

Re: T10, 3.0, Linklaters, any shot?

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:47 am

Possibly - they have been known to go below median before.

Give it a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

OP here, does anyone know any inside info on Linklaters, has summered for them, or knows from their schools what GPA they tend to dip down to for callbacks/offers? My school doesn't release that data unfortunately for specific firms.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 pm

You need international experience or a connection to wherever you would like to go. Language skills and international internships are equally if not more important, in my experience, than grades.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm

gulcregret wrote:You need international experience or a connection to wherever you would like to go. Language skills and international internships are equally if not more important, in my experience, than grades.

I don't think you need international experience. I know plenty of people who were successful during interviews and callbacks with linklaters who had neither study abroad experience nor language skills. Granted, having these things are a huge plus and will set you apart from others if you can sell it well. They definitely aren't that grade conscious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm also applying to Linklaters, but their NY office. UCLA/Texas/Vandy 3.4 (around the top 30-35% of the class) + law review & ties to NY. Do I have a shot?

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
gulcregret wrote:You need international experience or a connection to wherever you would like to go. Language skills and international internships are equally if not more important, in my experience, than grades.

I don't think you need international experience. I know plenty of people who were successful during interviews and callbacks with linklaters who had neither study abroad experience nor language skills. Granted, having these things are a huge plus and will set you apart from others if you can sell it well. They definitely aren't that grade conscious.

Need may be a bit strong as a general statement. I don't know of anyone who got Linklaters w/o it. But also don't know of anyone who went only to NYC office. I interviewed there with much better grades than their median and was peppered with international interest questions, even though I only wanted NY office. Obviously if you have top grades then international experience is less important, but OP is asking about his/her chances with a 3.0. So yeah, I think in this situation OP needs international experience or language skills.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 pm

gulcregret wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:

Need may be a bit strong as a general statement. I don't know of anyone who got Linklaters w/o it. But also don't know of anyone who went only to NYC office. I interviewed there with much better grades than their median and was peppered with international interest questions, even though I only wanted NY office. Obviously if you have top grades then international experience is less important, but OP is asking about his/her chances with a 3.0. So yeah, I think in this situation OP needs international experience or language skills.

Yeah, makes sense. OP needs it to make up for grades.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:36 pm

What is the definition of international experience ITT? Generally, is pre-law school work ever considered a boon in these scenarios or is this just for work for 1L on?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:What is the definition of international experience ITT? Generally, is pre-law school work ever considered a boon in these scenarios or is this just for work for 1L on?

When I talked to a hiring partner at Allen & Overy, she said obviously work/study abroad experience (any time before or after LS) or language skills are the best you can sell. But if you don't have those, she said traveling a lot to different countries and being able to talk about experiencing different cultures is a plus as well.

ETA: Also, having a thoughtful view on globalization and how the world is getting smaller are both good talking points. However, make sure you're genuine here. Don't just say derpherp the world is small and we're all connected.
Last edited by starchinkilt on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:What is the definition of international experience ITT? Generally, is pre-law school work ever considered a boon in these scenarios or is this just for work for 1L on?

Could be an internship during undergrad, maybe a semester abroad, maybe even living abroad. Definitely spending 1L summer abroad in a legal related job will be a plus, or just traveling but being able to lie about doing legal work as one of my friends did that is at one of the magic circle firms now. But spending time there, being able to articulate why you would like to live and work there, language skills, these are huge for most if not all the London based firms. I don't know if spending three weeks vacationing western Europe gets you there, though.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:48 pm

starchinkilt wrote:

When I talked to a hiring partner at Allen & Overy, she said obviously work/study abroad experience (any time before or after LS) or language skills are the best you can sell. But if you don't have those, she said traveling a lot to different countries and being able to talk about experiencing different cultures is a plus as well.

Generally agree. If you can use the traveling aspect to provide a good narrative for why you want to live and work abroad, then it will help. However, do not come off like, "I wan't to spend a few years dicking around in London with a big salary because I want to be international and explore and stuff."

That won't work. You need to be able to articulate why you want to be there or else they will not take a chance on you being there for a few months and then begging for a transfer back to NYC.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Lol @ 3 weeks vacation. Would be nice if I had that $$. No, I had an internship at one of the UK's biggest entertainment agencies in London and as with most of my jobs w/in this industry, it's contacts, contracts, contracts, which is easy enough to sell as law-related. I'm just wondering if they'll even consider it since it was still during UG. I'm still an 0L so I have no idea what sort of work I'll be able to get for 1L summer, but obviously will be shooting for something international. Also wrote about this at length before, but my SO is English and we're hoping to put down our longterm roots closer to his family than mine.

Sorry for derailing OP's thread, but everyone should know by now that as soon as a magic circle is mentioned, I'm all up on that thread like white on rice.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:53 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Lol @ 3 weeks vacation. Would be nice if I had that $$. No, I had an internship at one of the UK's biggest entertainment agencies in London and as with most of my jobs w/in this industry, it's contacts, contracts, contracts, which is easy enough to sell as law-related. I'm just wondering if they'll even consider it since it was still during UG. I'm still an 0L so I have no idea what sort of work I'll be able to get for 1L summer, but obviously will be shooting for something international. Also wrote about this at length before, but my SO is English and we're hoping to put down our longterm roots closer to his family than mine.

Sorry for derailing OP's thread, but everyone should know by now that as soon as a magic circle is mentioned, I'm all up on that thread like white on rice.

An undergrad UK internship + an english so who wants to move back is probably already plenty for these firms. Anything else you do will just add to what you can sell.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Lol @ 3 weeks vacation. Would be nice if I had that $$. No, I had an internship at one of the UK's biggest entertainment agencies in London and as with most of my jobs w/in this industry, it's contacts, contracts, contracts, which is easy enough to sell as law-related. I'm just wondering if they'll even consider it since it was still during UG. I'm still an 0L so I have no idea what sort of work I'll be able to get for 1L summer, but obviously will be shooting for something international. Also wrote about this at length before, but my SO is English and we're hoping to put down our longterm roots closer to his family than mine.

Just to answer real quick, my thoughts: if you spent a few months there working in an internship, that is a good selling point and will give you a chance to explain in more detail why you want to live abroad. Your SO being from there is a big deal, I think. It helps when you can say why you want to be there and the personal draw is important because a lot of the interviewers will be expats and know it's hard to leave family behind. If you're above median at a T14 and land an international internship during 1L with your background, you would be golden, IMO. Or do something domestic that focuses on international law (transfer pricing) and articulate your connection to the UK. But maintain the grades, it' shard to overcome being in the bottom half of the class from pretty much anywhere but Yale, it seems.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:06 pm

gulcregret wrote:

Just to answer real quick, my thoughts: if you spent a few months there working in an internship, that is a good selling point and will give you a chance to explain in more detail why you want to live abroad. Your SO being from there is a big deal, I think. It helps when you can say why you want to be there and the personal draw is important because a lot of the interviewers will be expats and know it's hard to leave family behind. If you're above median at a T14 and land an international internship during 1L with your background, you would be golden, IMO. Or do something domestic that focuses on international law (transfer pricing) and articulate your connection to the UK. But maintain the grades, it' shard to overcome being in the bottom half of the class from pretty much anywhere but Yale, it seems.

I'm not the OP, just the gal who derailed his thread.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
gulcregret wrote:

I'm not the OP, just the gal who derailed his thread.

Yeah, I know, I was just giving you (painfully obvious) advice to maintain the grades. It goes w/o saying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:05 pm

OP here, grades are as stated, however have a graduate degree from a top London university, program was a full year and so lived in London for a full year, well traveled, have traveled much of europe, have a lot of family there, would that be enough to satisfy the international interest/experience requirement? Very interested because this is unequivocally my top choice firm to work for, even if my grades had been better

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, grades are as stated, however have a graduate degree from a top London university, program was a full year and so lived in London for a full year, well traveled, have traveled much of europe, have a lot of family there, would that be enough to satisfy the international interest/experience requirement? Very interested because this is unequivocally my top choice firm to work for, even if my grades had been better

Sell the fuck out of your experience abroad (which is more than enough) and you might have a chance.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Do they pay market and have the same lockstep as other nyc firms?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:14 pm

thecilent wrote:Do they pay market and have the same lockstep as other nyc firms?

Yes and Yes.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Word ty

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 am

bumping for my own question. I do not have international work experience, nor do i speak another language. However, I am a first-generation American, my entire extended family is from the UK, and almost all still live there. I also lived in London during high school. Lastly, I have an impressive history of travelling, mainly in Europe and Asia. My goal is magic circle, will these latter points outweigh my lack of work experience abroad and language skills (assuming grades are in order)?

I'm going to try and juice my connections for a 1L summer internship, so my thought is if I can get something, that will cover the international work experience part, but is the language thing really going to hold me back?

I have heard conflicting reports about this. ITT people seem to think the lack of a foreign language is no big deal for magic circle, but in other places i've heard it's a deal breaker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:bumping for my own question. I do not have international work experience, nor do i speak another language. However, I am a first-generation American, my entire extended family is from the UK, and almost all still live there. I also lived in London during high school. Lastly, I have an impressive history of travelling, mainly in Europe and Asia. My goal is magic circle, will these latter points outweigh my lack of work experience abroad and language skills (assuming grades are in order)?

I'm going to try and juice my connections for a 1L summer internship, so my thought is if I can get something, that will cover the international work experience part, but is the language thing really going to hold me back?

I have heard conflicting reports about this. ITT people seem to think the lack of a foreign language is no big deal for magic circle, but in other places i've heard it's a deal breaker.

Wait and see how your grades turn out?

Return to “Legal Employment”