Summer associate overtime?!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer associate overtime?!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey guys I got a quick question: a friend of mine's sister works for or of the v50 firms in NYC. She tells me that her sister gets overtime pay as a summer associate on top of the base salary?! Does this sound possible? I thought summer associates simply work for prorate?

Wahoo1L

Re: Summer associate overtime?!

Postby Wahoo1L » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm

That doesn't sound right. Summer associates make a prorated 1st year associates salary. I think there probably was some sort of miscommunication.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Maybe she said she works overtime. That makes sense.

truevines

Postby truevines » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I got a quick question: a friend of mine's sister works for or of the v50 firms in NYC. She tells me that her sister gets overtime pay as a summer associate on top of the base salary?! Does this sound possible? I thought summer associates simply work for prorate?

Probably not. I worked 10-12 hours every day at a BigLaw this summer, and I got no overtime.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Is your friend's sister perhaps a paralegal and not a summer associate?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Wahoo1L wrote:That doesn't sound right. Summer associates make a prorated 1st year associates salary. I think there probably was some sort of miscommunication.

+1. They're not going to give you OT on top of a pro-rated (and ridiculously overpaid) salary.

Return to “Legal Employment”