Resume Question - Knight at Medieval Times

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume Question - Knight at Medieval Times

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

So I did this for a few summers in college and am wondering if I should just leave it completely off my resume for upcoming OCI? I feel a little silly having "Green Knight" as my position under an employer and am afraid firms won't take me seriously.

Cavalier

Re: Resume Question - Knight at Medieval Times

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I did this for a few summers in college and am wondering if I should just leave it completely off my resume for upcoming OCI? I feel a little silly having "Green Knight" as my position under an employer and am afraid firms won't take me seriously.

You can list your employment there but don't list your position as "Green Knight" or anything weird.

kritarch

Postby kritarch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:19 pm

If you know anything about Medieval Times, the Green Knight is also known as the resident badass of the realm. Leaving it off would be a travesty.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:20 pm

kritarch wrote:If you know anything about Medieval Times, the Green Knight is also known as the resident badass of the realm. Leaving it off would be a travesty.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but presumably most employers won't know it's the "resident badass."

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm

I only have a vague idea of what Medieval Times is like...so I'm assuming a knight is a performer in the floor show thingy. Why not use something like "Floor show performer" or "Dinner theater actor" instead of "Green Knight"? They'd get the gist when they read the employer name, but it doesn't look quite so silly.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm

That is kind of interesting. Was that your only job for those summers? I did landscaping for a couple summers in UG and I put it on my resume just to show I was doing something for those two summers. I would just put it on I suppose. Having nothing for two summers might make you look like a little bit of bum but that's just me. Might actually be a good conversation piece for an interview and maybe display that you are good with public speaking if you want to be a litigator?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm

I have similar work experience on my resume (theme park). Its how I paid my way through college so I'm not ashamed to put it on there and people loved talking about it in 1l interviews. I'd say put it on, maybe in a section separate from your legal experience. I don't think I'd say "Green Knight" though. Maybe something more generic and professional sounding, like performer or something

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I only have a vague idea of what Medieval Times is like...so I'm assuming a knight is a performer in the floor show thingy. Why not use something like "Floor show performer" or "Dinner theater actor" instead of "Green Knight"? They'd get the gist when they read the employer name, but it doesn't look quite so silly.

Yeah definitely put it as something more professional sounding than "green knight" something "performer" would sound good.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Green Knighting at Medieval Times is way more badass than White Knighting on TLS. :oops: [deletes title from resume]

kritarch

Postby kritarch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Cavalier wrote:
kritarch wrote:If you know anything about Medieval Times, the Green Knight is also known as the resident badass of the realm. Leaving it off would be a travesty.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but presumably most employers won't know it's the "resident badass."

So, I suppose Barack Obama is just a "community organizer in Washington, DC" right? That's basically the equivalent of comparing the Green Knight to a "dinner theater performer" imho.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Green Knight is a total badass. I think you've got to put it on there. He had his head chopped off and kept going. Firms are looking for that in an associate.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:22 pm

If you have room, I'd leave it on there. Just make it a single line about timeliness or reliability or something along those lines. If you put it down and then rattle off three or four bullet points, that's grounds for not being taken seriously.

I may have missed this in the thread, how long did you work there?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 pm

kritarch wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

So, I suppose Barack Obama is just a "community organizer in Washington, DC" right? That's basically the equivalent of comparing the Green Knight to a "dinner theater performer" imho.

Damn dude, you're really into the Medieval Times apparently.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Use "Performer". If the interviewer asks you about it (and it's certainly an interesting resume line), then you can talk more about the character you played.

Disclaimer: I always hated Medieval Times.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 pm

This is amazing and absolutely must be included.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for all of the support guys. I definitely think I will include it now but spruce it up as "performer." Maybe I can talk about my go-getter attitude since I worked my way up from minor side character to a knight haha.

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:43 pm

I fucking love the Green Knight. That dude kicks everyone's asses for my amusement while I eat piles of food with my hands.

I'd still probably put "lead actor" or something descriptive.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Don't go totally wuss; use "lead performer" or something of the like. You should see how hard I toot my own horn on my resume. It's ridiculous. If your position was actually one of the head guys or main/lead/head, you're killing yourself, me, and the guy in this thread who loves Medieval Times by selling yourself short.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Why don't you put "Defender of Justice" or something? Might as well tie it into your legal career.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:This is amazing and absolutely must be included.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I would leave it as "Green Knight." Don't try to play it like "dependable" or "go-getter attitude." You swung a broadsword. That's interesting and will generate conversation by itself. You will sound like you are trying too hard if you treat it like a real life-lesson-teaching experience.

lsatlsat

Postby lsatlsat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Keep it!! How about: Performer - Green Knight.

This is a great conversation starter. It'll wake up your sleepy interviewer and they'll never forget you afterward. It'd be different if you were one of the servers.. (Wench Jessica, etc.)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 pm

P.S. Poast pics. And are you planning on being in the Chicago area any time soon?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I would tailor it to include green night on firms in close proximity to a medieval times. medieval times almost seems like something that would maybe even be a firm outing. if you can find out that they took their summers there or something i would definitely include it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:This is amazing and absolutely must be included.

TITCR

Return to “Legal Employment”